The Beatles - Paul McCartney bass work

edited March 2013 in Musicians
Listening to some of the later Beatles albums this morning. I'm always impressed by McCartney's bass playing. It's very unconventional; striking a good balance between behind-scenes-not-in-your-face-pop-style and doing-lots-of-interesting-things-and-keeping-me-engaged-stuff. Underrated as a bass player imho. Probably overrated as a song writer.

Comments

• edited March 2013

Contains the ultimate Wings/Beatles quote:

FWIW, I agree (with Partridge) that McCartney is a very unusual and
    fine bassist; needs to be heard on something better than B&O though!
  • Ah, Alan.
  • The thing about McCartney's bass playing is - he plays varied harmonies as opposed to root notes of the chords.  As a result the bass is playing a tune rather than accompanying the music.

I think he undoubtedly inspired many of the bass players we love and admire today.

I have to say when I listen to early Beatles songs now I am amazed at the musicianship and capabilities of them all.  It isn't what you play it is how you play it.  Understated brilliance.  There are undoubtedly players with more agile fingers and dexterity but for example, what drummers could have come up with the superb simplicity feeling and that Ringo produced for Ticket to Ride?  That us but one example.

The bass playing of Paul added a special quality and the interaction of John and George on guitar.

Paul Jones (late of manfred man and who hosts a Blues Program on BBC radio 2, was remarking on John's ability on harmonica on the very first Beatles release, Love me Do.  He said John's performance was better than noted blues/pop harmonica players of the day.

I just do not think the world realises the overall influence that the Beatles had on music.  In saying that we also have to honour Buddy Holly as it was him that led the way, two guitars bass and drums.  He showed the possibilities which the Beatles then made iconic.