JRiver Mac Alpha

edited April 2013 in Digital
This discussion was created from comments split from: I'm getting to the stage where I want to nuke iTunes.

Comments

• edited April 2013
    Well, I have the JRiver Mac Alpha running on my iMac in the office, but not on the main rig, where I get a 'Playback error'.

The Synology DLNA server isn't up to much, but is better than its iTunes one, by the look of it, so am just pointing Media Center (sic) at my files on the NAS.

On the iMac, JRMC sounds better than iTunes - no surprise there, then.

Hopefully going to find out if the Alpha just doesn't work with the Young and its driver.
  • Well, folks, I have the JRiver Mac Alpha working.

It sounds OK, but I haven't managed to get the Green Goddess warmed up so that I can properly listen to it - had a Choi class tonight. I hope to get some time tomorrow evening to properly investigate JRiver on the Mac.
  • Interesting to see what you find Dave. I am less than enamored with anything apple this last year they seem to dropped the ball badly.

I have read that JR isn't quite there yet, but I am pretty sure they know just what they are doing. Maybe in time Damien will fettle A+ to work with J River library management?
  • First impressions are that JR is pretty listenable, but different from Audirvana+.

For alpha software, it's pretty stable. I've been using it for a few days on my iMac and there have been no crashes. And only one on the big rig.

I've still got to elbow Sam out of the way of the TV long enough to do some comparisons between the two players ;-)

What with the iTunes issue and noticing that post about the Raspberry Pi, I've been doing a lot of reading about alternative music servers/playback. There's a lot going on in the Linux world, but there seem to be lots of loose ends to be tied up.
  • Having used JRIver and Windows 7 all my computer audio days I have have no great inclination to change. Sonically it is very good and pretty user friendly.Only annoying issue is the regular 18 month $30 upgrades ( at J RIver 18 now I think) which do not add much sonically but just more video based features for which I have no use ( my server is audio only ). I should probably look around but I prefer tweaking my TT these days - more hands on and visual !!
  • I want to explore the video capabilities, although I think they'll probably be superfluous, as they won't work with our Apple TVs (I assume).
  • Make sure you stick her into ASIO David.
  • If only I could :-O
  • If only I could :-O
    Me no understandi.
  • ASIO doesn't exist on a Mac, it's some kind of Windoze thing.
  • edited May 2013
    May God have mercy on your soul.
  • May God have mercy on your soul.
    ...or don't Macs have those either...?
  • Plenty of 'soles associated with Apple... ;)

All 'pooters are a pain to a degree, but I may have the answer. It's a device that spins little silver discs, a bit like records... Yes, you actually have to touch your HiFi! Best keep the alcohol gel at the ready.

Actually, I like Macs and TFS type server things - they can generally be set up and simply used with the minimum of faffing. It's just when software asserts itself and needs updating/fixing that we are reminded we listening through computers.
  • I wouldn't go back to little silver discs. 

Life is better and sounds better with files on a server/NAS than on those things.

But software can be a bugger, that's for sure.

You could always go for some kind of streaming device rather than a 'pooter, I suppose.
  • edited May 2013
    Let's get this thread back on track ;-)

Do you want the bad news?

Or, at least, I think it's bad news.

I so wanted to like JRiver, especially after Computer Audiophile said that the Mac version is just as good as the Windoze version.

"In the meantime, enjoy the same JRiver Media Center sound quality whether on PC or Mac."

Well, it doesn't even deserve to be on the same disk drive as Audirvana+. A+ sounds more realistic - more detail, better textures, more 3D, more everything.

I'm stuck with iTunes for the foreseeable future :-(