Well, that's set the cat amongst the pigeons - forward planning for an audiophile server

edited May 2013 in Digital
I was almost starting to be convinced that I needed to move on from Mac to something like a CAPS server or an Item Audio server, running Windows and JRiver.

But having been underwhelmed by JRiver on the Mac, I'm left feeling completely unconvinced about moving back to the horrors of Windows.

The servers will have to be really good to more than claw back the difference between Audirvana+ and JRiver.

I feel a Mac mini purchase coming on later in the year, even with iTunes' problems.

Comments

• Will you stop with the anti-windows / anti-JRiver racism already! ;-)
    That's my system your talking about. :-p
  • I have windows but they#'re a bit mucky.  Had problems with one of them but I can open it now :P  Never tried playing music using them as it always seemed to be an odd place to keep music  8-}

One of these days I'll go all hi-tech like you two guys and sort a music squeeze/touch/tappa thingymajig out. I may need your services Ben to help!
  • Weiss MAN, I rarely use the MAC or PC anymore.
    Keith.
  • One of these days I'll go all hi-tech like you two guys and sort a music squeeze/touch/tappa thingymajig out. I may need your services Ben to help!
    Heaven help you Paul.
  • Will you stop with the anti-windows / anti-JRiver racism already! ;-)
    That's my system your talking about. :-p
    Oops!
  • I have windows but they#'re a bit mucky.  Had problems with one of them but I can open it now :P  Never tried playing music using them as it always seemed to be an odd place to keep music  8-}

One of these days I'll go all hi-tech like you two guys and sort a music squeeze/touch/tappa thingymajig out. I may need your services Ben to help!
    No mucky posts on the forum, please. I might have to mod them. Oh? Er... I see...  :(|)

Well, I'm keen to get this sorted. I'm going to take my time and find the right solution.
  • Weiss MAN, I rarely use the MAC or PC anymore.
    Keith.
    I suspect that particular vice may be out of my price range, man ;-)

What's it run out at? And is it FireWire-only? Does it need a Daniel DAC to get the best out of it?

While I'm at it, are you still running that baby Class A tranny amp through your horns?
  • Well it's Weiss so not cheap, there is a server and dac version, the inbuilt dac. version is really super, uses its own software so no more Windows or OSX, rips edits cataloguees, it's a preamp, plays CDs ,plays. radio Spotify ( soon) EQ all controlled from your IPad.
    Only one button on the box itself,
    It is a superb bit of kit.
    FireWire USB, Ethernet AES optical s/pdif wireless or tethered has its own address very versatile, rotating analogue output ,volume control from IPad everything really.
    Keith.
  • I'll get in touch if I'm feeling rich, then.

"Buddy, can you spare a grand? Wife and hi-fi to support"