Reference Fidelity Components Loudspeakers

edited May 2013 in Loudspeakers
My first encounter with Paul's components was several years before I met him and was not audio related. Had I known the man back then I would have walked and driven over it with even greater confidence.

Well, Gloucester's St. Ann Way Bascule Bridge was a small-fry project when compared to Paul's recent speaker build. Less heavy lifting gear certainly.

Paul is definitely an engineer. When I visited him last weekend to listen to his vast Tannoy driver based speakers, he shared with me his design note book for the project. It was fascinating to see the design process unfolding as the pages of the book turned through time. Thoughts, sketches and scribbles evolved into clear annotated diagrams, figures and calculations. When Paul speaks about his products he does so with an excitement about technique and method. I am too much of technical numpty to catch the meaning of every detail of what is being said, but his passion about attention to detail would be clear to all. As I drive over his bridge with my family on a daily basis, this is reassuring.

So the speakers. Well they are big. I wish I could remember the exact figures Paul gave me (in  gallons), but I didn't take notes. I must confess that this was partly because I knew that it would give me an excuse for not writing about the technical details of the speakers, and not understanding them, here. I am sure that Paul can fill in any technical details regarding the speakers should they be required.
Having said that I do remember Paul saying "This is 20Hz" as he put on the first CD track of our listening session. Now even I know that that's low down bass. Some subterranean synthesised bass kicked in.
"Hey I was listening to that!" I shouted as the sofa on which I was sitting vibrated in the direction of the listening room's door. The bass really was something terrifying to behold. Unbelievably deep and powerful, but also held in a vice like grip. The kind of bass that can have only some dark and devastating origin. But then came into the mix some acoustic instruments and vocals, delicately and discretely presented. A delightful contrast to the entirely different bass rumbles that continued somewhere underneath the rest of the mix. Incredible texture. Incredible separation.

and with trousers down...

As the listening session rolled on it was clear that Paul had achieved something rather special with his project build around the refurbed drivers. It was as if whatever Paul played the speakers said "Righto fellas, I'll go an make a cup of tea, I'll leave you alone to listen to the music". Everything that one would want was there. An apparently completely flat frequency response, powerful dynamics and utterly realistic separation. All that cliché stuff.

I felt that the speakers were, as they should be, completely revealing of everything else that came before. The recording quality, the music carrier format (we listened to CD and to vinyl), the source quality and the amplification. In Paul's system I preferred the sound of the CD. To me the transparency of the speakers showed up vinyl's slight lack of distinction (shapes of percussive events -- Dave). Also Paul uses valve amps... I'm not even going to go there. He did say that he would be interested in hearing his speakers on the end of something solid state. Very generously I offered to borrow them and report back. Paul pointed out that we would need a transit van (literally) to transport them up the road to Gloucester.

Anyway, suffice it to say that I was utterly blown away by Paul's project. The speakers are a triumph for Paul's approach to design, craftsmanship and engineering. They sound just right in every way.
In my mind I have a list of components that at the time of hearing I felt were the best that I have ever heard. In that list were 2 pairs of speakers. Some big Tannoy monitors in a studio where a band I was in recorded a demo many years ago, and some active Meridian speakers that I head at a show in Bristol a couple of years back. That list has now grown to 3.

The crossover, as viewed through one of the ports. (Paul believes that there may be some benefit from placing the crossover outside of the cabinet in future designs.)

Paul has put a £7500 price tag on the speakers. Given the cost of materials, the value of the expertise involved, the time taken to hand craft these things by hand and above all the sound, if you have the money for this calibre of product, it's worth giving Paul and Reference Fidelity Components a ring.

Oh, btw for the shill-sensitive amongst us, Paul gave me his time, friendship and 4 mini-muffins. I neither own, nor have been offered any Reference Fidelity Components products.

Comments

• Wow, that's a very generous write up Ben so thank you for your very kind comments!   Glad you enjoyed your music and your muffins!  We'll have to try your amps up front one of these days.  I'd say the Reference Fidelio's will respond very well to a decent SS gripping them. Funnily enough I stumbled across my initial child like sketches for the bridge recently and have notes on the initial design tucked away in a similar "black book"!
  • Get hold of an SS Single Ended Class A. Not the Green Goddess. She won't do justice to the low-end of your speakers, but I imagine something a little bigger would be fantastic.
  • I should point out that Paul's amps don't sound weak or flappy in the bass. Quite the contrary. Rather it's that I'm hoping that his speakers would be even more to my liking with SS.
  • I didn't read it that way. But I've just become the forum SECA evangelist :-)
  • Hallelujah.
  • Praise the Col!
  • Ben did you mention Muffins, I will be there.
    Mrs BD is a way for a week and my cooking is ghastly and rubbish, but with luck I may be lighter from starvation
    time she come back.
    I was hoping to see Matt but I am sorry to say I got lost around Edinburgh, some twit has moved all the roads I once knew well.

• I like Muffin. Muffin the Mule  B-)
  • We need a bespoke Audiochews system!: Col's amps, Paul's speakers - each badged with an enamelled image of Dave leering face. Dave and Col can arm wrestle for cable rights.
  • We can use it to amplify to the masses the McCarthy-esque trial that Dave is planning to stage for Windows and JRiver.
  • I like Muffin. Muffin the Mule  B-)
    ...that's still a criminal offence in these parts  [-X

=))
  • Same here have you seen some of the locals?
  •  I heard Paul's new speakers the other day.  Very impressed, I was.  Easily the best Tannoy Dual Concentric implementation I have heard.  Very open, detailed and fast.  Bass goes way down, and is very well controlled. The treble needs power to stop it getting splashy when the going gets going.  In fact, I thought everything was better controlled with Paul's amps in 60wpc ultralinear mode than in 30wpc triode mode.

Very impressive build, too, a proper pro job. Excellent high end speakers. :)

I didn't get any muffins, though.  >:P

• edited May 2013
    I hope to hear them one day. By the sound of it, they are something special.

Paul: Prepare the muffins :-D
  • PACPAC
    edited May 2013
    :P

ok...I'll ensure that we're awlways well stocked with muffins and even offer a box of muffins with every speaker order...can't say fairer than that! 

:)

Jerry, if I'd realised you had a sweet tooth, I'd have baked a cake =P~
  • If I has £7.5k, These would be on the list, for sure. Such a well engineered approach, and a lovely finish. I would expect similarly stratospheric sonics.
  • :P

ok...I'll ensure that we're awlways well stocked with muffins and even offer a box of muffins with every speaker order...can't say fairer than that! 

:)

Jerry, if I'd realised you had a sweet tooth, I'd have baked a cake =P~
    Rummages through pocket...

Sorry, there isn't £7.5K there...
  • ...you can have a muffin anyway Dave  O:-)
  • You're a True Hero of the Revolution  :-B
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2013
    After a recent amp shoot-out, the Fidelios are now been driven by this hunk of Huntigdon iron:

15 Watts of pure Class A single ended loveliness.  Some negative feedback employed and it has iron grip on the speakers, more even than the 60W push-pull VAC amps!

Have been spending the past number of weeks fine tuning the speakers and testing them (measured in room performance) with a variety of amplifiers.  Response has been tested between 28Hz and 8KHz and of a dozen or so amps to date, the best result was a response in room of within 6dB across the entire range, the worst (from an under damped valve amp) was +/- 20dB!  I included some muscle amps like a Plinius P8 (200wpc) but it sounded un-dynamic and rolled off in comparison with the 15 watt EAR amp.

The two best amps (measurement wise, and unsurprisingly, sound wise) have been the EAR 869 and the Radford STA25 from Radford Revival.  Will (the builder of the Radford amps) very kindly came up and spent a day assisting with measurements and testing using one of his STA25's.

Was that impressed with the EAR, the VAC amps were duly sold and the EAR kept on.  It's been a worthwhile exercise in terms of adding some polish to the performance of the Fidelios as well as learning a surprising amount about real world differences of various amplifiers.

Since the Doc heard these, they have improved further.  Some port tuning and some more reductions in internal damping were needed but we're there with them now.  Anyone succumbing to the charms of the giant Fidelios can now rest assured they'd be getting a properly sorted loudspeaker  
    :-*
  • You really hate your work don't you Paul...?
    ;-)
  • It's a tough gig Ben, but someone's got to do it!  ;)  :D

Actually, its only that things have slowed up a bit into holiday season that I've had the time to sort these things out. 
  • The Ear Amp is amazing, but I love the richness all Single Ended A Class amps can express.
    Must hear this speaker one day soon Paul, now back to lad. 
    =D>
  • edited June 2013
    Just for Dave.

Enjoy this real digital experience.
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2013
    Next time you make down to deepest darkest Gloucestershire, you'll have to pop in Col.  tbh, I'm not too concerned what class an amp runs in providing it sounds good.  I do find one drawback of SE amps is that they can be a little toppy sounding and dry.  The EAR is a bit lean but it makes up for that in sheer excellence in just about every other department.  Amazing for its rating (you have to ignore the paper specs for this amp...it's more like a 100w SS amp in delivery!).
  • I have away liked Tim,s designs and is MC transformers were just amazing, last time I met him was in Munich 2 yrs ago, and his mind is still bubbling ideas out, a truly original thinker. 
    Lets hope he keep going for a long time yet.
  • After a recent amp shoot-out, the Fidelios are now been driven by this hunk of Huntigdon iron:

15 Watts of pure Class A single ended loveliness.  Some negative feedback employed and it has iron grip on the speakers, more even than the 60W push-pull VAC amps!

Have been spending the past number of weeks fine tuning the speakers and testing them (measured in room performance) with a variety of amplifiers.  Response has been tested between 28Hz and 8KHz and of a dozen or so amps to date, the best result was a response in room of within 6dB across the entire range, the worst (from an under damped valve amp) was +/- 20dB!  I included some muscle amps like a Plinius P8 (200wpc) but it sounded un-dynamic and rolled off in comparison with the 15 watt EAR amp.

The two best amps (measurement wise, and unsurprisingly, sound wise) have been the EAR 869 and the Radford STA25 from Radford Revival.  Will (the builder of the Radford amps) very kindly came up and spent a day assisting with measurements and testing using one of his STA25's.

Was that impressed with the EAR, the VAC amps were duly sold and the EAR kept on.  It's been a worthwhile exercise in terms of adding some polish to the performance of the Fidelios as well as learning a surprising amount about real world differences of various amplifiers.

Since the Doc heard these, they have improved further.  Some port tuning and some more reductions in internal damping were needed but we're there with them now.  Anyone succumbing to the charms of the giant Fidelios can now rest assured they'd be getting a properly sorted loudspeaker  
    I'd love to hear the EAR against the Iridium 20.
  • Just for Dave.

Enjoy this real digital experience.
    Thank you Col  :O
  • After a recent amp shoot-out, the Fidelios are now been driven by this hunk of Huntigdon iron:

I'd love to hear the EAR against the Iridium 20.
    So would I let all go to Paul,s for Muffin,s and Jazz.  ~O)
  • edited June 2013
    Count me in!

Lovely amp, Paul - glad you have a winning combination there.

• PACPAC
    edited June 2013
    Could we do the muffins without the Jazz?  :))

Seriously..a bake off here would be fine with me.

We could do an amp bake off and a muffin bake off all at the same time...
  • You are on sounds like fun, then I can hear you speakers.
    Will Dave come also?
  • Honestly, I think it may be too far for me, but I love the idea.

I'm not saying never, just a very tentative maybe. It would surely be a lot of fun.
  • PACPAC
    edited June 2013
    We' I'm sure that Ben might be up for a re-match in addition to Col visiting and perhaps Dave if it isn't too far.  Just let me know when's convenient for you chaps and It'll be set up...

You'd be welcome Alan but I understand if it's a bit far to come.
  • edited June 2013
    Honestly, I think it may be too far for me, but I love the idea.

I'm not saying never, just a very tentative maybe. It would surely be a lot of fun.
    Whimp, if a old fart like me can drive to Switzerland to see a dealer you can get Scotty to beam you over here and we can go together playing " Star Trekking" on a repeat setting.   >:) he he
  • Don't you threaten me!!  >-)

Keep me in the loop, if it's a weekday and it's raining and I can sneak past Star Fleet command I may come over.

• Yikes! Yeah. I can bring the Green Goddess and be shown how much better the Iridium 20 is :-)

I'm away for part of July and half of August. Maybe September?

Alan. If you get over here, we can go by Beast.

Thinks. I'm not very environmentally friendly, what with the Beast and a Class A. But they are used sparingly ;-)
  • Thanks. Yeah I'd be up for it if it's in the school hol's (end of July - August). I loved Paul's speakers. His muffins are even better.
  • OK so I bring the 100w/mono A Classes also with some Philip Glass.
    Maybe we could trigger a ground tremor. 

• How about that Jah Wobble album? :-D
  • End of August or early september is good for me. Ground tremors encouraged  :D
  • Alan if your passing sunny Maidstone, give me a shout, I would be up for a wee trip to the west country.
  • Sure thing!
  • Early September would be best for me - but not the 6th or 13th.
  • Early September should be fine for me.
  • Just raising this to the top of this 'ere bored due to increasing interest in the proposed bake off. Looks like it might be standing room only...!
    Paul - could we (ie you) start a separate thread...?
  • Well if there is room for one more I'd love to join in and bring those EAR 509s.
    I'll even be polite about your muffins :)
  • I'll only come if you're polite about my muffin top  :O