My A400X is playing up

edited December 2010 in Amplifiers
I keep losing the left channel on my office hi-fi.

I thought it was to do with the 3.5mm jack connection to the iMac, but it seems it's the volume control on the Pioneer. I have to either fiddle with the volume control or tap on top of the case to bring the channel back.

I hate it when 20-year-old kit starts to go wrong!

Comments

• Have you got any switch cleaner?  If you get the lid off and give it a quick squirt that'll probably sort it.
  • I haven't had any switch cleaner for years.

I'll Google it and see where sells it.
  • Hi Dave,

Maplin sell it in small cans, or you can order it from RS -  rswww.com
  • Thanks Rob

I discovered earlier today that there's a Maplin on London Road, Brighton, so I don't need to trek over to Eastbourne. I'll probably pick one up next time I'm in Brighton.

I hadn't thought of RS. Maybe ordering it online would make more sense.

• A quick update on this.

I realise the problem has disappeared as suddenly as it arrived. Maybe it heard about the underarm switch cleaner coming its way? 
    @-)
  • I hate it when that happens.  I'd rather something broke properly so it can be fixed for certain.
  • It's sure to come back.

But, by that time, I hope to have remembered to drop into Maplins.
  • edited February 2011
    It might be a sign that the main capacitors are exhausted/dried up? 20 years is time to look at changing these?
  • Thanks for that John

I've actually found a more radical solution. Swapping the Pioneer for an NVA AP20 that I thought I'd sold! 

The NVA sounds better and more detailed, but it has a dodgy selector switch. So it goes.
    :)