Miles Davis Live (early 80s...?)

edited June 2013 in Live music
Watching some Miles Davis live on Sky Arts. I'm unsure what the details are, but judging by the fashion I'd say it!'s early 80s.
The musicianship is obviously top drawer from all performers, but what an awful time it was for this type of music. Unbelievably wanky, unemotional and unmusical approaches to jazz. The keyboards/synths are the worst offenders. The squelchy bass sound is also awful.
All merely IMHO of course.

Comments

• The percussionist I am enjoying to be fair.
  • (Trumpet player shows promise too.)
  • Actually, judging by some of the equipment on stage it's probably late 80s.
    When did Miles Davis die? Early 90s?
  • 1987 from Munich

• Thanks Lee. :-)
  • Here is a better one ffom a year later

The vimeo channel is well worth a surf there's a Pate Metehny gig on there too

• Miles' last period was notoriously uneven. I saw him several times in the 80s, A gig at the RFH was fantastic, and an earlier one at Hammy Apollo was also enjoyable. Others were very disappointing.
  • Interesting.
    Not sure there was anything wrong with the performance this afternoon. It was the genre/style that I was repulsed by. Too slick and electro. It seemed very accomplished mind.
    It sounded like the musical version of sultanas in savoury food. Which I greatly dislike.
  • Sometimes it worked - real improvisation and risk-taking. Sometimes it was a kind of jazz version of Prince without the understanding of the genre that made Prince's 80s output so great.
  • I like the cut of your jib there David. Well put.