Inca tech Claymore repair

edited August 2013 in Amplifiers
Can anyone advise on who best to nurse this beauty back to life - the volume control doesn't, and I guess it could do with a service. Much appreciated.
HiFive

Comments

• edited August 2013
    Hi

Paul Quick is you best bet, I now am so busy so it be weeks before I can get round to it.
    Were are you?
    How old is the beast?

Paul is on the forum under Quickie.

If you get stuck PM me

Best 

Colin J. Wonfor
  • There's an exceptionally tidy looking Claymore on ebay, which has what appears to be a minor fault. Looks like an easy fix. Just sayin'. :)
  • have brought that amp from ebay my second claymore last was 1986
  • im new here does anybody know if I can use the pre outs from pioneer sa8100 in to the inputs aux or cd of the claymore so it acts as a power amp
  • im new here does anybody know if I can use the pre outs from pioneer sa8100 in to the inputs aux or cd of the claymore so it acts as a power amp
    Yep see other discussion., what Claymore issue is it, CD input would be best, the push the direct button.
    Best Col
  • edited August 2013
    Whereabouts are you hifive ?

Pm me.....I will take a look for you.

Paul

HiFive
    HiFive
  • thank you for that

how do I tell which issue claymore I have

and which other discution are you ref to

• hi the claymore has a bad channel on right very distorted agent on line they said check fuses there both fine claymore is an issue 6 can any body help has not been missed with inside
    thanks for any help
  • Xtro,

It sounds like the FET's have died, please chat with Paul Quick send him a PM.
    FET's are now available but you will need to change all 4 and a few resistors to make it sound and perform OK.

I will send all the info to Paul unless your good with a soldering iron and promise not to swear to much. :D
    I could send the info to you, you will need to buy FET's from a British Component Distributor a small one.

Col
  • where is Paul do you have address to send unit to him thanks for your help
  • or send info to me and ill see how hard it is to do
  • what's a pm to talk to Paul quick
  • edited August 2013
    Click on Inbox, then Start a new Conversation (Personal Message in Chewsspeak).

Send your message to Quickie.

HTH
  • thank you for your help its hard being new
  • edited August 2013
    No problem. It's hard around here when you're not new :-D

What do I call you xtro?
  • Steve
    is col Colin the builder of the claymore
    just want to say a big thank you to all the people in here who have
    helped a newbie
  • are there any mods that can make this wonderful beast sing better than it already does
    not that it's not perfect as is just like to try and squeeze the last drop. was thinking of upswing nordost blue heven cable for speaker and phono boards merlin mains with earth drain wire silver plated plug and detox everything
    Has anybody Amy other ideas
  • Steve
    Yes he is.
    He designed the Claymore to play lossy digital audio files, but couldn't get it to do so. The experience has left him bitter.
    ;-)

• Steve,
    I have a Claymore in a box in the atic with what might be the same problem as yours. I've been meaning to get it sorted for aeons. Let me know how you get on as it might give me the impetus required.
  • ok doc no problem what do you think of upgrades I want to do
  • I don't have experience of the cables you mention. Sorry.
    For interconnects I use NVA SSP, and my speaker cables are TQ Ultra Black. I can enthusiastically recommend both.
    I have previously used NVA LS3, LS5 and LS6 speaker cablea. I can recommend all of these at their various price points.
  • to the creator of the claymore
    while under the soldering iron would recommend
    only dead fets (am I wrong in thinking these are transistors
    ) or change all for new on both channels
    many thanks for a great amp my second and you
    help steve
  • Steve,

Change all 4 FETs , also upgrade 4700uF Capacitors if you take them to 10,000uF best also to change diodes from 1N5400 series to 6A series please talk to Paul as I said before.
    My health is not good and I will take far to long to upgrade it for you, busy as hell here.

Col
  • thank you so much for help I'm in contact with Paul
  • Steve,

Change all 4 FETs , also upgrade 4700uF Capacitors if you take them to 10,000uF best also to change diodes from 1N5400 series to 6A series please talk to Paul as I said before.
    My health is not good and I will take far to long to upgrade it for you, busy as hell here.

Col
  • I did read in one report but can't find it again the a mod was done to lower the frequency response down to 5hz any ideas how
  • Yes ! but it is early here.
  • docfoster if you wanted to sell claymore at anytime I'd take it thanks stevep
  • edited August 2013
    sorry to keep asking questions but don't ask don't learn better to learn from the best
    who's the best to get caps from
    mandorf elna Nippon rubicon kendiels
    lots of people seem to think kendiels are very good want to go 15000uf 63 v
    I know black gate no longer aval
    just want best for amp and to make it sing
    thanks for all advise it will all be passed to Paul to rebuild
  • I like Nichicon, they have a lower ESR, or Elna, Ribicon can make it sound hard, 10,000uF/50v will fit 15,000uf/63V may not fit and have smaller ripple current allowance.
  • Steve
    just want to say a big thank you to all the people in here who have
    helped a newbie
    Thanks Steve

We try todo our best ;-)

• edited August 2013
    2PCS ELNA 63V10000UF LAO High-END Audio Electrolytic Capacitor NEW
    there 35mm round
    2 X NICHICON KG GOLD TUNE 10000UF 63V AUDIO GRADE ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITOR 35mm
    are these ok to upgrade to
  • 4 off will fit the pcb on a iss 6 claymore
  • edited August 2013
    docfoster if you wanted to sell claymore at anytime I'd take it thanks stevep
    Thanks. I'll bare it in mind.
  • 4 off will fit the pcb on a iss 6 claymore
    which ones would you go for
    thanks for your continued help
  • I have already told you that 
    I like Nichicon, they have a lower ESR, or Elna, Ribicon can make it sound hard, 10,000uF/50v will fit 15,000uf/63V may not fit and have smaller ripple current allowance.

• Name]
    Nichicon Capacitors for audio equipment
    [Place of Origin]
    Made In Japan
    [Specifications]
    10000Uf/50V
    [Series]
    KW

going to go with these as per your judgement
  • You ideally need 10mm snap in caps.

If you want them changing then I would use these.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium/3396887/

Paul.
  • could you pm me as to what I have to change as for fets and 3a to 6a rectifier and ill see if I can do it just want to see thanks
  • looking at claymore power schematic when changeling upto 10000uf caps you say I need to change rectifier to 6a is that the in4002 or in5402 and do I change all to 6amp and what would you recommend (part no ) if pos thanks
  • edited August 2013
    sorry also when replacing MOSFET to3p all four which brand is best specs which resistor am I looking to change also
    many thanks
    just looked iv got two green two black
  • I've sent you a PM Steve.......
  • Paul quick now has amp for repair and upgrades will let you know how it goes
  • Cool. I'm sure he'll do a fine job.
  • Paul is the go - to man for Col's earlier amps. I bet you'll get a killer amp back.

I an completely smitten with one of Col's amps this afternoon. It's only 10 watts, but I am in love...
  • Paul, will do a great job as long as he has time, is workmanship is fantastic.  :D
  • I an completely smitten with one of Col's amps this afternoon. It's only 10 watts, but I am in love...
    Get a bloody room.
  • Why Ben he has a whole house. And he is happy.
  • I an completely smitten with one of Col's amps this afternoon. It's only 10 watts, but I am in love...
    Get a bloody room.
    pffft! You and your shiny black fetish amps... 'captive' mains leads... All very BDSM if you ask me!
  • you for got silver plugs and detox special leads