Just the job - JOB 225 amplifier

edited September 2013 in Amplifiers
This looks like a really interesting amplifier, I suspect it would sit rather well with a lot of 'Chewer's musical tastes. The JOB 225 is based on a Goldmund circuit in a simple box, and seems to be a subsidiary of the Goldmund itself.

Goldmund have an unhappy episode in their past, where they were publicly slated on the forums for charging approximately £6k for what looked (in the photos) like a lightly modified Pioneer DV600 (£200). I bring this up, because the more sophisticated Goldmund version of the JOB 225 retails at about $17,000, and the JOB sells direct on Amazon for $1,495. This is to their extreme credit if you have limited resources, or possibly not if you are a Goldmund owner! At any rate, as Srajan Ebaen points out in his (glowing) 6 moons review, it may hardly matter, as Goldmund owners are unlikely to talk money with JOB owners.

The JOB 225 is currently unavailable, as it is being reworked for 230V operation. Also, their was a grounding issue with the early amps which was apparently corrected, as detailed in this thread on WBF.

I had plenty of time to read up about JOB during a recent spell at home due to illness. There is a whole lot of amplifier for the money here, and were I not sorted both for the present and with future plans, I'd be saving already.

Comments

• Alan, that does look very interesting and I spent some time reading on DIYaudio about folks building Goldmund clones and getting very good results.
    It's on my DIY list to build my own Goldmund clone
  • Hi Alan, yes I am following the WBF with interest. It will be interesting to see how the dollar price translates into sterling for the 230v version. Has a timeline been mentioned for releasing the 230v version?
  • Hi Jason, James

It's a pretty left-field choice (which is why I felt sure James would be interested), as for time scales I believe JOB have said "September - best guess". So after September then...

Goldmund have bases in Switzerland as well as USA, so let's hop the import from Suisse is relatively pain free.
  • As a side note then, this is the Goldmund clone DIY thread on DIYaudio if anyone (other than me) is interested.
    Yes, it's a very long thread...

• Did somebody say DIY?! Thanks for the link Jason, I'll have a read through now.
  • Job website states that delivery won't start until October now. Price will be £1,061 (based on XE.com USD rate), which includes Fedex shipping and customs duties prepaid by Job.

Tempting.
  • edited October 2013
    Have gone through there web site there is lots of things that worry me. He is a few that stand out and make bells ring.

With extremely low distortion, especially IM distortion, literally zero group delay distortion, ultra-wide MegaHerz bandwidth and DC coupling, extreme silence and cool operation, it can be played at high level with the same impression of ease than at low levels.

FREQUENCY RESPONSE

These figures are valid for any level between 0 and nominal power.

• +/- 0.5 dB, 10 Hz - .1 MHz.
    • +/- 3 dB, 2 Hz - 0.9 MHz.

And a  0 output we all want a wide wide bandwidth to enjoy the silence.

And  page 2

The JOB Amplifier circuit is one of the fastest amp circuit in the world with nearly 3 MHz bandwidth !!!

Not nearly 3MHz maybe 1MHz see spec.

No it is not sorry lads a Naim amp is as fast and a Bryston even faster.

Only top quality or even military grade components are used : Minimelf German resistors, ultrafast capacitors including the latest development for filtering capacitors, etc..

A  shame Minimelf are neither MIL Spec or costly cheap very cheap.

To many thing smell bad here beware and many more hidden gems in the site.