Computer Audio

edited December 2010 in Digital
I use a MBP with different dacs, I do prefer an async USB or FireWire data transfer , there are so many variables it is hard to keep track, Mac PC, sound card internal external storage , Squeezbox etc etc, it would be interesting to hear of interesting implementations.
Keith

Comments

• Is that from the system building POV, or from the design one?
  • This the field I'm poised to move in on.
    I was really impressed by Hugo's computer audio (off his laptop into his Lyngdorf DAC) at the Bake-off show.
    I think I'm holding out for the Jason's (/NVA's) TFS as a possible start point.
    The first time I heard the TFS at (at Whittlebury) I said if he stuck in a Bluray drive I'd be interested. By the bake-off show he had done so. "The customer is always right..."
    What else should I be considering...? Jason has suggested to me that the Bluray equipped TFS will be one of the top of the range options (I think around £1.8k...).
    Ben
  • edited December 2010

Hi Ben

Having nabbed Jasons's TFS prototype (Nexus) I can definitely recommend it. It is a one box design with on board soundcard/dac but very flexible and well equipped. I am running it using both the on-board Xonar soundcard (for high res ) and external 'retro' Audiosynthesis DAX for redbook cd's. You can also connect it direct to power amps cutting out a pre-amp in the sound chain. I am running it remotely form a laptop which is actually very easy and user friendly once you get over the initial 'too-many' computers syndrome.

Good to see a few familiar faces again !

Mervyn

• Hi Mervyn and welcome.
  • Hi Mervyn!

Good to see you.
  • This the field I'm poised to move in on.
    I was really impressed by Hugo's computer audio (off his laptop into his Lyngdorf DAC) at the Bake-off show.
    I think I'm holding out for the Jason's (/NVA's) TFS as a possible start point.
    The first time I heard the TFS at (at Whittlebury) I said if he stuck in a Bluray drive I'd be interested. By the bake-off show he had done so. "The customer is always right..."
    What else should I be considering...? Jason has suggested to me that the Bluray equipped TFS will be one of the top of the range options (I think around £1.8k...).
    Ben
    As far as I know, Jason and Richard are still planning a cheaper Black Box version, which may fit your pocket more comfortably. 

£2K for the TFS was mentioned at the show.
  • Hi Mervyn - glad to see you!

I keep hearing the Asus Xonar cards are better than most external DACs, so they must be truly superb. Is Jason using the recently released improved card yet?
  • Hi Mervyn - glad to see you!

I keep hearing the Asus Xonar cards are better than most external DACs, so they must be truly superb. Is Jason using the recently released improved card yet?
    I don't know.
  • Hi Alan

The Xonar card is very good and at the Marriot bake-off it stood up very well against other external dacs including a £4k jobbie ! ( I think Dave preferred the latter for its more revealing and detailed nature)

It is very musical and engaging but for me lacks a little bit of refinement against more expensive dacs. I have compared it with my 'retro 90's' Audiosynthesis DAX in my system and there are subtle differences. The soundstage is slightly wider bit not as deep giving a more upfront presentation. The Xonar treble is a little more brash accounting for the boisterous sound which a naturally bright system will highlight. But these are subtle differences and like all components it works differently in different systems.

The Xonar does seem to work very well in a TFS one box format. Jason I believe is also experimenting with different opamps for the production version as well as powering the output stage separately which I am sure will improve it further.

I have not heard any of the new breed DACs ( Wyred for Sound/Benchmark etc) to see how they compare but would guess the Xonar would give them a very good run for their money. Especially as a TFS or cheaper black box version probably willl cost about the same as these dac only components.

Mervyn

• Hi Alan

The Xonar card is very good and at the Marriot bake-off it stood up very well against other external dacs including a £4k jobbie ! ( I think Dave preferred the latter for its more revealing and detailed nature)

It is very musical and engaging but for me lacks a little bit of refinement against more expensive dacs. I have compared it with my 'retro 90's' Audiosynthesis DAX in my system and there are subtle differences. The soundstage is slightly wider bit not as deep giving a more upfront presentation. The Xonar treble is a little more brash accounting for the boisterous sound which a naturally bright system will highlight. But these are subtle differences and like all components it works differently in different systems.

The Xonar does seem to work very well in a TFS one box format. Jason I believe is also experimenting with different opamps for the production version as well as powering the output stage separately which I am sure will improve it further.

I have not heard any of the new breed DACs ( Wyred for Sound/Benchmark etc) to see how they compare but would guess the Xonar would give them a very good run for their money. Especially as a TFS or cheaper black box version probably willl cost about the same as these dac only components.

Mervyn

I did, indeed, prefer the £4k jobbie on my Paul Bley torture track  :-)

But the TFS was very good. I suspect that Jason has produced an environment (the TFS) that squeezes the most from an already good card.

The Wyred4Sound DAC 2 (the more expensive one) is around £1300, so if you already have a decent server, you can save some ackers against a TFS. The Young DAC will be a bit less when it arrives.

My instincts always point me towards separates - I've run separate CD transport/DACs for around 20 years - but if the TFS delivers and I have £2k, then I'll have to see if Richard Dunn will sell me one.