For Sale...My EAR 869

PACPAC
edited September 2013 in For sale
Regrettable sale of my stunning EAR 869 amplifier, but go it has to to help fund a new project and new stock for the business.

This is possibly Tim-De-P's most iconic design, having its roots in the original EL519 amplifiers and using similar circuit topology to the 859, but with a revised output transformer and modified input stage giving 15 of the most powerful, punchy and sublime single ended watts available.

This amp currently retails for £4,800 and build quality is second to none. It's also extremely heavy!

More pictures:

As can be seen, the amplifier is in [B]PRISTINE [/B] condition. It was [B]FULLY SERVICED[/B] by EAR this year and I have fitted new NOS Mullard and Telsa input and driver valves, plus the previous owner fitted BRAND NEW EL519 valves and valve caps earlier this year, so for all intents and purposes, this amp is absolutely as new.  The only way you'd know it didn't come fresh from the factory is the slight rubbing to a couple of the letters on the front aluminium fascia, the result of past cleaning no doubt, but its hardly noticeable.

For those unfamiliar with the 869, it is an integrated amplifier which has a bypass switch on the top plate allowing it to function as a stand alone power amplifier.  The output wattage can be largely ignored as it will drive VERY difficult speaker loads with ease, including speakers like Quad electrostatics.  It drives my big Tannoys to ear splitting levels without breaking out in a sweat.   Part of this is due to the huge current on tap but also to the small amount of negative feedback employed to maintain a stable output stage.  This results in very low distortion so you get the best of both worlds...the sublime midrange of a SET with the punch and control of a P-P design.  Anyone who read the lengthy amplifier selection and testing thread I conducted a while back will note that of all the amplifiers tested from 15 to over 100 WPC, the EAR came out on top.  It's not for nothing that its regarded as a world standard and future classic.

I am going to miss this amplifier and may well make a return to one in the future, but for now, business needs must come first.

Rather than mess about with listing an unrealistic price then haggling, this £4,800 amp can be yours for[B] £1500[/B]  cash on collection, or I can courier at cost.  I think that you'll struggle to find one as good as this anywhere for so little, so grab a bargain while it's available!

It could be pricey due to weight, possibly up to £50 plus insurance.  Please note that if couriered, it will be SOLEY at the risk of the BUYER.  I cannot be held responsible for any damage that occurs once out of my care.  It will however be packaged in the original packaging and is well protected.  It comes complete with instruction manual and receipt for the recent service from EAR.  I have some additional spare NOS Mullard valves for it which can also be purchased as extras if wanted.

Comments

• Good luck with the sale Paul. That's a complete bargain.
  • Paul what a nice designed professional PCB no solid wire rats nest. The Star Earthing is superb.
  • Hi Colin

yes, it's amongst the neatest layout I've come across and a doddle for DIY servicing too as the top plate also is removable allowing access to replace all caps etc if needed. Valve  Amps designed and built like this are very few and far between.  The star earthing is good, and together with the circuit employed result in an astonishingly low noise floor for a valve amp.  I'll be talking myself out of selling it if I carry on so I'll schtumm-up :((
  • Paul,
    Just out of interest, what will be replacing it in your setup?
  • edited September 2013
    NVA ???
    Oi. Leave it...!
  • Wire with Gain ?
  • 4 of the above?
  • PACPAC
    edited September 2013
    I wont be buying a Natty Volatile Amplifier...Col was closest...a wire with gain  :D

My reasoning is that I put my money where my mouth is and buy Jolida's latest Fusion JD 3502 amplifier as a demo amp for the business and there's little point in me retaining luxury kit items when the money would be better invested in the business, so I'm afraid it's a head decision rather than a heart decision.  The 3502 is a mighty fine amp though and I spent a very nerdy hour or two talking to its designer yesterday.
  • I wont be buying a Natty Volatile Amplifier...Col was closest...a wire with gain  :D

My reasoning is that I put my money where my mouth is and buy Jolida's latest Fusion JD 3502 amplifier as a demo amp for the business and there's little point in me retaining luxury kit items when the money would be better invested in the business, so I'm afraid it's a head decision rather than a heart decision.  .
    Sounds more like a bit of both decision.
  • 'Tis a very beautiful thing, for sure.
  • I don't enjoy it's physical appearance. Sounds bril' tho! :-)
  • Hello,
    I am interested in your EAR 869, if it's still for sale. 

Thanks.

• Sorry, should have updated the thread a long time back but the 869 has been sold now.
This discussion has been closed.