Streaming help needed

edited February 2011 in Digital
I'd like to set up a laptop based system and could do with some advice.  My laptop just has a small jack for mic and one for headphones so not sure if it will be suitable.  Will I need a DAC and can it plug in through a USB?  Sorry if these are dumb questions... My laptop has itunes on it.  Steve

Comments

• Is it a Windows laptop or a Mac?
  • Windows xp
  • OK. The easiest way forward is to get yourself a USB DAC.

iTunes is probably not the best software on Windows, but it'll get you started if you already know it.

We'll now need a Windows XP user to help you set up your operating system set up properly - I don't know the vagaries of ASIO and WASAPI because I use a Mac. There are some here. I think Hugo uses an XP laptop to good effect.
  • Mozza - I've heard that an XP lappy can soun really good. Like all things 'puter audio, it just needs to be set up right. I would also recommend a USB DAC though.
  • JimJim
    edited February 2011
    Hi Steve,

To get started you could plug in a mini jack to two phono plugs into to the headphone out and go into the Yaqin.  It may not sound as bad as you think.

Most modern USB DACS don't need software unless they're doing high bit rate - so they are just plug and play, yes even on Windoze!

Streamlining XP is pretty straightforward.  It's just a case of turning stuff off you don't use. 

I've found the best media player to be Foobar which is free:

http://www.foobar2000.org/

J River is also well regarded but it's not free:

http://www.jriver.com

• Jim Hi, XP isn't. bit perfect, I would advise you download Foobar and it's Kernel Streaming app ( from the components page on the header bar) drag the app into Foobar's components folder on your PC, it should be in programme files, that will give you a bit perfect output, Foobar is a bit plain but there are sorts of graphic 'skins' you can download .
    Compare files using Foobar and WMP and let me know,
    vb Keith.
  • I don't use XP Keith - but Steve does.  I've been using Foobar since version 0.3 - however long ago that was!

WMP doesn't sound good to me and it's too graphiccy for my liking - which, as well as the sound, is why I like Foobar.  And it has no decoders for many file types, i.e .ape and .shn.

I switch between Win7 and Ubuntu 10.4 or Studio.  For Win7 it's best to use the Wasapi dll, the kernel streaming dll no longer works in Foobar version 1 or higher.  Win7 is bit perfect as was Vista.

• Sorry Jim, I like Wasapi on 7 too how does it compare to Linux?
    Keith.
  • No worries mate.

I'm very loathed to admit it but I'm getting a better performance from Win7 than I am on Linux.  But then I had to hack Linux about to get Foobar to run.  And I'm not over keen on any of the Linux media players  I have to grundgingly admit that 7 is the best inplimentation of Winbloze to date - and I've used them all since version 1.

I had issues getting my DacMagic to run stably inder Linux also - when it worked it sounded great though.
  • See, I'm already lost....  Never mind eh?  I'll get there, just not really a computer person.  Thanks for the input chaps-greatly appreciated.
  • edited February 2011
    Hi Mozza

Do you want me to pick my way through the relevant information above? Here goes, anyway.
    1. XP is not as accurate, digitally, as Vista and 7. But there's a way round that problem
    2. Foobar is a good bet for playback, and it's free. Download it from http://www.foobar2000.org/ 
    3. Download Foobar's Kernel Streaming app ( from the components page on the header bar), drag it into Foobar's components folder on your PC, it should be in program files. That will give you a bit perfect output
    4. Get hold of a USB DAC - people like Dacmagics, Beresford Caimans and I like my KingRex UD-01, which is currently in my office system. They were on special offer at www.itemaudio.co.uk

That's about the size of it.

Give us a shout if it still doesn't make sense.
  • Cheers chap-I'll give it a go!  Steve
  • Steve Hi if you get stuck you can always give me a ring and I will talk you through it, I agree with Jim Windows 7 is good especially with Wasapi, Jom have you tried 7 versus a Mac though?.
    very best wishes Keith.
  • Keith

Nope, haven't touched a Mac in years - I dislike computers of any flavour and keep my usage very limited

• And I try to avoid anything Microsoft these days. It only leads to extensive bad language  :)
  • And I try to avoid anything Microsoft these days. It only leads to extensive bad language  :)

Very, very trudat!
  • Could not be more trudat!
  • tootrudat!
  • Nosing around for a DAC now... Oh what fun!
  • There should be plenty of secondhand ones about.
  • Keep us posted, as I may have a Caiman spare within a month. I'll give you a shout when I know.
  • Sure thing Alan-let me know.

Steve
  • Will do Steve. It hinges on the Young DAC revision being able to hold it's lock to the SKY box.
  • FWIW, mine is fine with our Virgin cable box via optical. I mean that it locks, but still has all the other problems.
  • That's interesting. The SKY+ box takes a good while to change channel - the screen goes blue for a second nearly while the nasty Amstrad box makes executive decisions....I wonder if it simply cuts out for too long.

Part of my master plan this year is to ditch SKY altogether and get broadband/phone/line rental from someone like utility warehouse, and get a Foxsat HD freesat box.

Anyhow, will look at improving my signal quality to see if the DAC will keep it's lock.