CE regs

edited January 2014 in Other stuff
Noticed this mentioned in another thread alongside self-certifying. Just wondering what each involves in practical terms...?

Comments

• I'm sure Colin could answer this, I know him and Geoff put their products through more than the standard tests and have exceeded even the testers wildest expectations, iirc the Black Power Cables stunned the guys in Wales when it was tested!
  • Yes, they had to cut it to induce a failure IIRC, and it didn't even short then! Makes you feel kind of safe & secure.

Self certification exists in many fields, and relies heavily on the technical knowhow & integrity of the person responsible. In the case of electronics, what is permitted is clearly stated - its perfectly possible for self certified gear to be perfectly safe. As is the converse.

In the real world though, who polices these things? The penalties for infringement are truly massive, especially if such an infringement is discovered following a failure that caused risk to life and damage to property, or worse. Yet outside the realm of large established companies, there are loads of cottage manufacturers and those based abroad who self certify in order to sell their wares, but nobody apparently checks these designs.

The frightening question is always "what if?" ... Now I have a young family I am wary of electronics that aren't double plus safe, with the added reassurance of endorsement by appropriate safety bodies. I want to know the manufacturer got it right, the risks otherwise are simply unacceptable.

Equally, should there be an accident in the home, I can only imagine the complications that could happen if a suspicious insurance assessor doesn't like the look of some of one's 'slightly better than DIY, self certified' equipment.

The world of HiFi is a lot bigger than I used to think, and great sound quality is achieveable without making compromises in safety or even useability.

Just my 2p, YMMV. :)
  • edited January 2014
    The world of HiFi is a lot bigger than I used to think, and great sound quality is achieveable without making compromises in safety
    Which comprimises do you have in mind there Mr. Brown...?
  • Ladders connected to the mains?
    Simples! They're the tools of Mr B's trade, and shouldn't be connected to the mains.
    Simples! They're the tools of Mr B's trade, and shouldn't be connected to the mains.
  • I only do simples!