NASes

edited February 2014 in Other stuff
This discussion was created from comments split from: Macs.

Comments

• DanDan
    edited February 2014
    I'm just comparing an SSD direct to the touch against the NAS

Are we going a bit off topic what was an off topic that created a new thread feom the old thread that wasn't concerning with what this one started that we were talking about before and not now? Lol
  • Voila! I've created a new thread :-)

I'd have to take out a mortgage to get all my media on to SSDs. It's the NAS or the NAS for me.
  • DanDan
    edited February 2014
    :)
    I've just popped a bunch of albums on mine to see if there is any perceivable difference.
    I know what u mean when u say 'media' not a chance of using SSD's, they have come down in price but not viable for large amounts of media to be stored on really.

What NAS u using Dave?
  • edited February 2014
  • Ah the Synology, nice

Me, Netgear ReadyNas NV+ the 4 bay one, reason being is I can have 12TB (using 6tb at the mo but it expands and builds automatically and changes Raid mode to suit) in Raid 5 and it supports the Logitech Media Server software direct, so need to leave a computer on. I control it with my iPad Air, it's rigged with an AirPort Extreme and all hard wired using Meicord Ethernets.
  • edited February 2014

I'd have to take out a mortgage to get all my media on to SSDs. It's the NAS or the NAS for me.
    That makes it a no-go for me also.

I cut my macmini about a while back, including installing a SSD & SATA filter. Most the other mods were removing peripherals (except the installation of passive cooling heatsinks) - according to Mark @ Itemaudio's advice. I felt there was a solid improvement in SQ as a result.

I use a QNAP NAS to the Mc'mini, which also has loads of RAM and utilizes Audirvana+ which plays back from RAM. It's all controlled from either a tablet or an old iTouch, which is only kept for the remote app.

I would certainly be surprised to learn an SSD in the NAS would benefit my system, as the data is streamed to the mac and held there in buffers pending playback. That's not to say there wouldn't be a difference, I suppose.
  • Sounds similar in functionality to the Synology. I'm a bit stuffed with expansion possibilities as it's maxed out storage-wise.
  • edited February 2014
    My QNAP is only a single bay unit! Still got space to spare though, I must not be a sufficiently committed audiophile (leave it!  [-X )

The good thing about the QNAP turboNAS system is individual units can be piggy-backed, up to 4 (or is it 8?) all connected to each other. With a little work on the administration settings they can be read as a single server. I don't know what iTunes would make of that though?!

That was partly what made it such a good choice as a first ever NAS device. It's also as quick & quiet as the Synology units. The future plan is to get a multi-bay version & copy everything onto it from the one I have now. Then, with the 2 NAS' start some kind of RAID plan.

All my backups are mid-compressed FLACs on a separate external hard drive, so the potential consequences of a single bay NAS failure are somewhat mitigated.

It's been my first hand-on experience with home networks & servers, and I'm reasonably pleased with how it's gone so far. I've tried to adopt good practice withing my capabilities and without having to spend a fortune. (Observations and experience is always welcome!)
  • I've always thought I'd buy another Synology, but this is nice for the listening room http://www.techspot.com/review/767-qnap-hs-210/
  • That is nice (inasmuch as it's possible to get enthusiastic over such a thing).

Funny how it accidentally follows the 'ItemAudio' philosophy of deliberately underclocking, and not letting drives etc work to their fullest capacity. In the case of the QNAP this is in the name of thermal constraints; in the case of 'Item' flavored audio computers, it's in the pursuit of a quieter electrical environment within the playback machine.

Whether this is audible in a NAS which would only stream to a playback computer seems extremely unlikely to me, but without trying...?

I do agree with the review though, the lack of HDMI is practically a deal breaker from my POV, and hard to understand given the QNAPs form factor and intended application. Good price though.
  • HDMI out would be quite cool.
  • I agree, I'm not sure sprucing up the NAS would have a significant effect on the sound although I have been considering a proper PSU for electrical noise reduction.
    As far as my Mac Mini is concerned I have fitted an SSD, disconnected the Bluetooth and wifi modules and installed Amarra 2.5.

I am hoping to have a Paul Hynes PSU in the next few weeks also.
    I have looked into the passive cooling but it seems as if this option is only viable when utilising Items different enclosure?

If I can get the Mac to sound as good as the SBT then it will be brought back into play more for sure.
  • Interesting thoughts discussed here. I hadn't really thought about noise and interference from the hard drives and psu of a pc before. Im curious though, I have a pc running a couple 2tb WD Green drives, 1 drive stores all my flac files. Through an Asynchronous usb dac, would there be still an issue in sound quality compared to a dedicated streaming machine pulling from a nas?
  • Interesting thoughts discussed here. I hadn't really thought about noise and interference from the hard drives and psu of a pc before. Im curious though, I have a pc running a couple 2tb WD Green drives, 1 drive stores all my flac files. Through an Asynchronous usb dac, would there be still an issue in sound quality compared to a dedicated streaming machine pulling from a nas?
    It depends if your DAC is using the 5v supply from the USB out on your computer, and whether it provides galvanic isolation. Which DAC is it? In my experience there are improvements to be had from using a separate 5v supply into the DAC.

• I have my eye on the Arcam irDAC which has it's own power supply and not via USB.