Denon D300 DAC

edited April 2014 in Digital
Does anyone think this DAC would be any good? 

DACs to me are something that seem to have more snake oil than other HiFi products. 

I've been looking recently at DDDac and Lampizator, however the Lampizator is a little pricey for me.

Comments

• I don't know that DAC.
    About 10 years ago I spent time going through DACs and I did feel that they did make some difference at the time, but I don't know why (PSUs, chips, output stages, extra cabling, etc.,...?)...
  • Rats! I have a proper recommendation but I'm on the phone & can't do the link.

I have heard only good things about the new Musical Fidelity V90 DAC, It's £200.

There is rather a good write up in a mag, I think HiFiCritic. I saw a PDF of the review, I was impressed TBH. Given what I've been told, I'd be seriously interested in comparing it with my DAC.
  • I've not heard the Denon DAC either.

There are certainly big differences, but really inexpensive DACs can be surprisingly good, too.

How about that for a completely unilluminating post? :-)

• Think I'm going to seriously investigate this DDDac, it looks rather interesting.
  • Most DACs sound very much the same, which perpetuates the "snake oil" and "all DACs sound the same" myths, but there are some amazing ones out there too.  I suspect the similarities are down to the fact that DAC chips are so heavily integrated these days, being of the delta/sigma variety with built in digital filters and output stages.  I do prefer pure multibit DACs having better dynamics and more natural timbre.
  • If you can use a soldering iron (or even if you can't as in my case) then the DDDAC
    offers remarkable performance. I've not missed my PS Audio DAC for one moment.
  • What case did you use?

Have you got one dac pcb, or a stacked version?
  • I used a case from Modushop in Italy.

My DAC has two boards and a few mods, e.g. shunt regulators instead of the std regs.