My new baby...

edited February 2011 in Analogue
...soon to arrive at Gromit Towers, after which there'll be loads of photos/drivel to bore you all to tears with. :)

Here it is - a nice & clean 401...

Haven't been this excited about getting a bit of hifi for a long, long time. As a mid teenager, I had a girlfriend whose dad had one of these, and I've wanted a Garrard ever since.

Comments

• I thought those things were supposed to have an arm...? ;)
  • I'll hope it'll be a very fruitful relationship matey.

Looks a good tidy example.

Happy days :)
    4 weeks and 3 days old right now.
  • Thanks Jim - cosmetically it looks very nice indeed, hardly a mark on it - not even a Dustbug ring. :)

Mechanically it's obviously an unkown, but from many years of buying/mending/servicing/fixing old motorcycles, if something this old is as clean cosmetically, it often bodes well for the health of its innards. Saying that, mechanical stuff is usually easier to service/replace than getting someone to re-juvinate badly worn/damaged exteriors.

I'm going for Russ's Plinth 10 btw, but for a 9" arm - don't really have the shelf room for a 12" arm plinth, sadly.
  • JimJim
    edited February 2011
    Agreed, usually says a lot about the owner and the care taken if the outside is tidy.

I really hope you get it all sorted for Scalford mate - looking forward to seeing and hearing.

Will you be flogging the '71 and the '150?
  • Jim - I'd love to have it ready for Scalford but I don't want Russ to feel under pressure to get he plinth done in a hurry. As to the other two - current plan is to sell on the PL71, and keep the TD150 looking out for a cheapish arm to fit to it. The TD150 on its own isn't worth an awful lot and it's such a lovely little thing I don't think I can part with it. Doesn't sound too shabby either. :)

The 401 will start with the re-wired 3009, but after a while I'll be thinking about moving that on possibly - would love to hear a good unipivot on it as I'm a big fan of them. Will get a detachable armboard made up.
    4 weeks and 3 days old right now.
    Hi Jamie - congratulations! I don't know anything about Garrards (my bad) but I know a little about these, with three under the age of 6. All the very best!
  • It's arrived - and is pretty much in spotless condition.

Plinth now ordered aswell so now it's the long wait! :)
  • Way-hey!!

Has long has Russ said it will take?
  • Jim - Russ reckons on 3-4 weeks as he's just moved into a new workshop and is snowed-under with work. Would be great to have it up and running for Scalford but I'm not going to rush him to finish it. There's always next year. :)
  • I'm thinking positively!!

See you and the 401 at Scalford :)
  • I'm thinking positively!!

See you and the 401 at Scalford :)
    Just heard back from Russ - he's estimating 3 weeks but hopefully sooner so yes, we may be up & running by Scalford. Would want to have the 401 running for a couple of days beforehand though, make sure it's going ok and doesn't need any servicing work done.
  • Happy days :)
  • The PL71's arm is due back in the next couple of days (all Cardas'd up) then the 3009 will be off to Johnnie7 aka the 'Arm Wizard' for similar treatmeent. :)

Things are at last looking up in the turntable dept . :)
  • Indeed they are.  Will you put the 3009 on the 401?  What cart?

Will the 150 stay armless for now or do you have another?

Sorry, so many questions!
  • edited February 2011
    Jim - for the time being the 3009's going onto the Garrard, in fact Russ is making it with the SME mounting slot. Cartridge, for now, will be a DL110 as it seems to work a treat in the SME - certainly sounds fine on the Thorens. I've also just got hold of a Shure M75 cartridge body so am sending off for a Jico SAS stylus for it which will work nicely in the SME. :)

Another option (which does open up more cartridge choices) is to fit the PL71's arm onto the 401 - this then means a Decca comes onto the radar as I know it works a treat in that arm. It would simply mean a small armboard could be screwed down over the SME mounting slot (probably using the 4 SME mounting screws) and there's then the choice of arm-swapping every now and then.

Don't really want to start putting 2 arms onto the deck, not necessary anyway with removable headshells. I WILL though be investing in a mono/78 cartridge as my dad has loads of 78's sat at home. Then the fun really starts! :D
  • Do't forget gromit, you will need a spacer to mount the sme arm also to raise the arm for the height of the garrard platter.
    Dom
  • Thanks Dom - hopefully Russ will be aware of it, but will let him know anyway. :)
  • If in the future you want to convert the 9" arm to 12", get in touch as I can convert these with longer arm tubes, upgraded headshells and eccentric counterweights.
    Sorry for the plug guys
    Dom
  • Blimey.  You are going to be busy.  I predict many a fun hour at Gromit Towers...

I've got an M75, it's surprisingly good for it's age.

One thing re the earthing.  The electrical connections for the motor are simple enough and there's an earth point for the 3 core mains cable.  Steve (Mozza) has run another earth from the motor assembly to the phono earth, to good effect.  If he's about and reads this he may elaborate further.
  • If in the future you want to convert the 9" arm to 12", get in touch as I can convert these with longer arm tubes, upgraded headshells and eccentric counterweights.
    Sorry for the plug guys
    Dom

Don't worry Dom.  We have no problem with anyone trying to make an honest quid or two - you carry one mate :)
  • Jim, whats the rules on me letting yoou guys know what's in the pipeline from Northwest Towers?
    I will be producing a very tasty solid slate idler turntable and 12" unipivot very soon, as well as doing the turntable/tonearm restoration work.
    Dom
  • Blimey.  You are going to be busy.  I predict many a fun hour at Gromit Towers...

One thing re the earthing.  The electrical connections for the motor are simple enough and there's an earth point for the 3 core mains cable.  Steve (Mozza) has run another earth from the motor assembly to the phono earth, to good effect.  If he's about and reads this he may elaborate further.
    Thanks Jim. :)

I've got to make up a mains lead for the 401 anyway as the previous owner removed it from the terminal block. No problem - guess he may have used a short lead to an IEC socket on the plinth, which is what I may end up doing.

There is also a yellow lead with a ring terminal, screwed at one end to the 401's chassis, but is 'flying' at the moment; I guess this goes to the earth lead in the mains cable. or to the pre-amp earth? I'll probably screw an earthing bolt through the back of the plinth - washered on both sides so that any internal earth leads (from the deck & arm) can be bolted to, then externally an earth lead will then go on to the amp. This is pretty much the set-up on the PL71 and works well.
  • Jim, whats the rules on me letting yoou guys know what's in the pipeline from Northwest Towers?
    I will be producing a very tasty solid slate idler turntable and 12" unipivot very soon, as well as doing the turntable/tonearm restoration work.
    Dom

I'll PM you Dom.

Thanks Jim. :)

I've got to make up a mains lead for the 401 anyway as the previous owner removed it from the terminal block. No problem - guess he may have used a short lead to an IEC socket on the plinth, which is what I may end up doing.

There is also a yellow lead with a ring terminal, screwed at one end to the 401's chassis, but is 'flying' at the moment; I guess this goes to the earth lead in the mains cable. or to the pre-amp earth? I'll probably screw an earthing bolt through the back of the plinth - washered on both sides so that any internal earth leads (from the deck & arm) can be bolted to, then externally an earth lead will then go on to the amp. This is pretty much the set-up on the PL71 and works well.

Sounds right to me.  I wish I'd had an IEC socket fitted, I just went with a flying lead.  Can't fit one now, cutting a big hole in the Torlyte would shatter it :(

Good idea re the earthing terminal on the back.
  • This is an exiting thread, even though I don't know what you two/three are talking about. I'm glad the TT is coming together for you Richard - you seemed a little jaded with it lately.
  • It's all gobbledegook to me :-)
  • It's all gobbledegook to me
    That's the drugs Dave !
  • Could be  I-)
  • This could definitely be the result of drugs. IKEA bed slats repurposing.
  • What drugs was he on ? You don't get those at Boots - do you ?
  • Outside Boots, by the light of the streetlamp, I think  ;-)
  • Bringing this thread kicking and screaming back to on-topic for a minute, I've just got back from the Audio Jumble at Tonbridge.  Great fun was had and much classic vintage gear was spied.

Richard, I don't know what you paid for your 401 but I spotted at least 4 this morning, some early and some late.  mone of them in particularly good nick and none less than £500.  Also saw a 301 that looked very tatty and was up for £750 - which is daft - and it was still there 5 hours later when I left.
  • edited February 2011
    Bringing this thread kicking and screaming back to on-topic for a minute, I've just got back from the Audio Jumble at Tonbridge.  Great fun was had and much classic vintage gear was spied.

Richard, I don't know what you paid for your 401 but I spotted at least 4 this morning, some early and some late.  mone of them in particularly good nick and none less than £500.  Also saw a 301 that looked very tatty and was up for £750 - which is daft - and it was still there 5 hours later when I left.
    Hi Jim - I paid £350 for my 401 and it's nigh on spotless. There are a few I'm watching on a certain auction site at the moment which are hovering around that point. A very clean one, with a Denon arm (a nice bit of kit I think) and a neatly built plinth went for £480 which I think was a good buy for someone - included original test report and manual too.

Of course with mine, I won't know how well it's working until I've got it sat in its new plinth but even if I have to throw as much again at it to get it working spot-on I will still have got a good buy, certainly compared to what's avialable new today. :)
  • Agreed.  I don't see anything new performing as the Garrards do - short of the kind of dosh one would pay for a car.

Also saw at least 10 Thorens TTs this morning.  Mainly 160s, one 150 in really tatty nick and one 134 - never seen one in the flesh before.
  • I don't know what you paid for your 401 but I spotted at least 4 this morning, some early and some late.  mone of them in particularly good nick and none less than £500.  Also saw a 301 that looked very tatty and was up for £750 - which is daft - and it was still there 5 hours later when I left.

Interesting Jim. My 401 off ebay looks good value at £345. Bit dusty but a good clean and it looks ok. Yet to power it up but seller said it worked fine. Selling the G88 to fund the 401 project btw.
  • You should get what you paid for the 88 I reckon.
  • I've just come across this site:

http://www.perfectsound.co.uk/index.php/garrard-parts/garrard-401

Might be of use to some of us I reckon.
  • Thats where I source my service parts
  • Plinth's arriving tomorrow (tries, but fails, to hide schoolboy-esque sense of excitement) :)
  • Ooooh Oooooh Ooooh - it's all coming together for the AudioChewers!
  • Plinth's arriving tomorrow (tries, but fails, to hide schoolboy-esque sense of excitement) :)

He's a bit nippy then!  Did you mention you were doing Scalford?

Photos, we want photos!

He's a bit nippy then!  Did you mention you were doing Scalford?

Photos, we want photos!
    I did Jim, and I am. :)

Will get the 401 up and running and depending on how it's sounding (it may need a bit of a service/clean up) I'll take it along to the show.

Just got the 3009 back from Johnnie at Audio Origami and it's sounding superb now - full Cardas re-wire, bearing adjust, new stub de-coupling and the cueing pot replenished and it's working beautifully. Will take some pics over the next couple of days as I put it all together.
  • Oh, the power of positive thought :)

What cart is going on the 3009 to begin with?  It sounds very tasty now after the J7 treatment.
  • Oh, the power of positive thought :)

What cart is going on the 3009 to begin with?  It sounds very tasty now after the J7 treatment.
    Cartridge will be the Denon DL110 I've been using in it for the past couple of months - it really seems to work well in the 3009, even more so now. It doesn't look like the SAS Jico stylus will be here by the end of next week (had an email from them saying they expect delivery to be 2-3 weeks) but am looking forward to it nonetheless. :)

Just need the blasted courier to turn up with my plinth now!!
  • I hate waiting for couriers!!!
  • You think you've got it hard. The V2 Young DAC's not due until tomorrow  :-W
  • Richard, I've just noticed your updated signature.  When did you score the P75?  I've never heard one, is it as good as peeps say?
  • edited February 2011
    imageimageHi Jim - this is my 4th (yes really!) P75 - it's a great little phonostage, very adjustable and works a treat with an SPU in particular. The MM side of it is ok, nothing earth shattering but does the job nicely.

Anyway...news just in...

• Wow!!!  You're gonna need to change your screen name to SpeedyGromit at this rate :D

That was quick work mate.

Looks very, very nice.

And the sound?