New 180g John Martyn Solid Air album for £24 - is it worth it ?

edited February 2011 in Analogue
Bit of a dilemma this one as it is one of my favourite all time albums. I already have an original vinyl lp which sounds very good ( it is such a well recorded and produced album anyway ) and a remastered cd. Do I need another one albeit supposedly excellent sound quality ?
Some of these re-releases are a little bit of a con by exploiting a premium price for a sometimes pretty ordinary recording. However this Solid Air could be an exception.

Comments

• Tough one Mervyn.  I have one 180g special of a Bill Evans but don't have a "normal" one to compare it with.  I have heard plenty of people say that a good condition original is every bit as good as a 180g - preferably a fist edition.

It is a fantastic album and one of my favourites also.

In fact I'm going to play it now...
  • Merv,

I may be able to help you decide........................had the original 1st pressing on vinyl for donkeys and have always loved the quality of the recording - so when this 180g was released and like you thought i must have it.
    Since i have played the two back to back i must confess that IMHO the original sounds slightly better to my ears just more dynamic and punchy.......more involving.
    The decision is yours of course but i could live without the 180g no problem........on the other hand if you love JM that much then its a nice piece of black gold to have in the collection.

Hope that helps mate
    Regards, Scotty
  • Thanks Scotty. Mind made up I will just play my original and spend the £24 on something else I don't have already !!