New computer for HiFi

edited May 2014 in Digital
My Apple Mac mini has broken, I'm waiting on an insurance claim. A Mac mini is a lovely thing for home audio, it's small, powerful and reliable. But it is over-priced as far as hardware goes, and the user is locked into apple software. My family mostly use Windows & Android, so I am now wondering why I would consider tying our 'media centre' to an Apple machine?

A few years ago, there wasn't many small form factor PCs about so the Mac mini was a no-brainer. Now there are a few more options out there so a brain definitely needs to be engaged. Alternative PC options appear to cost a little less than the equivalent Apple hardware, yet also they can have a few advantages. To wit:

Tiny Green PC.

Tranquil PC.

ATLast! Fanless NUC.

All three of these are small, powerful and great for a HTPC (Home Theatre PC). Just like a Mac mini.

Where they are not like a Mac mini is thus: they are smaller, they cost less, they have HDMI out (which my previous late 2009 model didn't have), and they have no fan - passive cooling! 

I've looked through them all, and I currently favour the AtLast! solution, which is conveniently the cheapest (an important factor, given the excess on my insurance payout). I am considering a passively cooled Intel NUC motherboard, 4 GB RAM, i3 processor, 60 GB SSD. I don't think anything else is really necessary, storage is via LAN on a QNAP NAS. (actually, bluetooth & wireless could be good, I could have wireless keyboard & mouse so the children can play computer games, using the TV screen).

The best media player on windows appears to be JRiver (Well I certainly hope it's better than JRiver for Mac). This has apps for android phones & tablets, so that's the remote control taken care of.

What am I missing? Is the it really a case of 'The king is dead - long live the king'? Or should I reconsider a second hand Apple Mac mini?

Comments

• Oh Alan, you have let me down, my heart has broken. Digital lies have no soul, go vinyl.
  • edited May 2014
    Colin, you know I would.... But you should come here & listen to my setup when it's, er, set up! Assuming it is as good as the old rig was, it beats every CD spinner I ever heard into a cocked hat, and a great many vinyl systems as well.

I have heard a heavily modded Garrard 401 & a fettled Voyd Valdi come close, but not definitely better!

And besides - you know me! Do you really think I need another thing to obsess about??? ;) I shall save TTs for a rainy winter.... and imagine buying all that vinyl! And the children near my cartridges! And hum, and VTA, azimuths and tracking weight, and, and...

Actually, it's very similar to computer audio in terms of mucking about, isn't it?

BTW, my new audiopooter is gonna have soul! You wait & see...
  • edited May 2014
    Great stuff Alan, don't listen to the Teluriumasaurusrex.
    I haven't been looking at this sort of thing since taking on a TFS from Jason, but it's good to see the market expanding. This is clearly a part of the future. Hopefully as well as wireless and bluetooth, one might inlude a diamond stylus sooner or later...
    bluetooth & wireless
  • Look Ben, if it was not for us Dino's there would be no Audio just Rose Thorn Needles a spinning a 78RM on a clockwork motor.
    And Alan the only Soul that thing will have is when it swims with the fishes.

Good luck Alan enjoy. (Traitor) 
    >:) :D 8-X
  • Interesting topic Alan, although I have no advice to give as I'm not clever enough.
  • I've tried a good number of media players for Windows and JRiver is certainly my preferred choice for music (i don't do films on disc yet). I'm messing about with JPLay at the moment on JRiver. Using it will invalidate your tech support from JRiver but it is said to optimize the computer for music playback by shutting unnecessary programs down and other trickery - we'll see.
    I do think the SSD route is a good one and in the future this is something I'll be exploring.
    Since buying JRiver (it's $50) I've really taken to using computer files for music  - this is not been my experience with the likes of Foobar and the other programs i've used that fel clunky and primitive in comparison.
  • Look Ben, if it was not for us Dino's there would be no Audio just Rose Thorn Needles a spinning a 78RM on a clockwork motor.
    And Alan the only Soul that thing will have is when it swims with the fishes.

Good luck Alan enjoy. (Traitor) 
    >:) :D 8-X
    Col, stop teasing me! :D. You know I'll take the plunge, but in the meantime you can always 'fix' digital for me... if you think you can, of course! ;)

Atcherly I can't afford a 'soul' (or TT) right now. The insurance wants to pay out by supplying an equivalent machine, rather than a cash settlement.
  • I've tried a good number of media players for Windows and JRiver is certainly my preferred choice for music (i don't do films on disc yet). I'm messing about with JPLay at the moment on JRiver. Using it will invalidate your tech support from JRiver but it is said to optimize the computer for music playback by shutting unnecessary programs down and other trickery - we'll see.
    I do think the SSD route is a good one and in the future this is something I'll be exploring.
    Since buying JRiver (it's $50) I've really taken to using computer files for music  - this is not been my experience with the likes of Foobar and the other programs i've used that fel clunky and primitive in comparison.
    Stu, thanks for the JRiver experiences, that's good to hear. I want to stream films through the system, so a single, family friendly device with good software is what I want.

I may set up a seperate user account with audio style mods & tweaks for when I want to listen seriously.

I heard Mark from Item talk up JPlay, that's something to look into. In fact, I rather hope Mark might chip in later with some thoughts.
  • As I mentioned on the phone last night, Linux is probably the way to go if you're looking for cheepnis. But you will be presented with various levels of hairy-chestedness (but what's that to the DIY-king?) :-)

Here's an interesting post from earlier this year: http://hifiduino.wordpress.com/2014/03/01/low-cost-audiophile-music-servers/

This is the software that interests me (although, of course, there are I think two close variations - this is the Linux world!): http://www.runeaudio.com/.

I have no idea what it sounds like, but running on the Cubox, it looks as if it could be a very nice little audiophile computer.

• Thanks, O hairy chested one...! I'll take a look when I get to a computer with some time.

Linux scares me tbh, I can't afford to lose what street cred I have!

I hate messing with computers, so I'd have to consider it carefully.
  • Some Linux scares me, but I don't go there!

You can normally see if you're letting yourself into all that command line and compiling malarkey. 
  • Dino,s rule ok or else :D
  • Come on, is it Dinos or SECAs? :-)
  • Hi Alan. I'm using a Rasberry Pi running Squeezelite software in my setup. Control is via iPeng on my iPad. It's great for music but Squeezelite is solely for music. Something like XBMC can be run on a Pi though. This would provide your family-friendly UI for music and films.

The Pi cost about £30 and there are XBMC image files online that are easy to load onto the Pi from a memory card. The Pi has USB out for audio and HDMI for video.
  • What's it sound like, James, in comparison to other streamers you've used?
    brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
  • edited May 2014
    I'm not sure a Pi or a Cubox - i will be able to stream HD content consistently & reliably 100% of the time and be easy for the family to use, which is the other thing I want it for.

In terms of sonics, I have read that Linux systems are a excellent low power, low cost way to get an super result, but that a carefully set up Apple system can beat it, and a carefully set up Windoze system can take them all, if it has the processing oomph. I have no experience to say if this is true or not, but it is an impression I've formed form my research.

Given what I'm trying to do, a powerful HTPC on W8.1 seems like the best way to include my family in the system's use, with a seperate user account for serious listening with all the settings I want.
  • I would just get a Vortexbox and be done with it. :)

I still use CD mainly, and Spotify for casual listening, but if I made the switch...
  • In particular: http://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Standard_Products/cat317979_905628.aspx

And for USB to SPDIF a Halide Bridge for a sorted minimal fuss setup.
  • I don't think the Vortexbox is functionally equivalent to what we've be talking about here:

VortexBox software will automatically rip CDs to FLAC and MP3 files, ID3 tag the files , and download the cover art. Vortexbox will then serve the files to network media players such as Logitech Squeezebox, Sonos, NAIM, Cyrus or Linn. The music files can also be played on a Windows or Mac systems.

If you do go for a Vortexbox, make sure you include the Bliss option, though.
    Sounds about same as the Alix card (which improved on my Macbook) I was using Dave. The smaller form factor appeals (it's about half the Alix card's size). However, the Pi has I2S output pins, so I'm going to try going I2S out of the Pi directly into my DAC board, thus bypassing the USB waveio card. I've also built a small regulated power supply for it which improved on the switching wall wart it was supplied with.

Alan - I was watching a 1080p XBMC stream from a Pi a couple of weeks back without any issue......I take your point though that given the low spec, there cannot be much processing overhead available.

The Pi boots in a few seconds and XBMC will 'discover' it on your network very quickly.....simples :). I'd argue that there's more involved/scope to go wrong with a PC or Mac.

• edited May 2014
    Thanks for that James

I keep wondering about trying an RPi, but it always seems a bit Noddy for serious usage. Maybe I'm wrong!
  • Alan. I take it that you've seen the Mac mini and additional gubbins for £230 on AoS? http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32669-FS-Apple-Mac-Mini-plus-extras
  • That's available again? It's slightly lower spec than my previous machine, which I them modded. I don't want to do the same thing again, it's boring!
  • There has been a decent exchange in pfm in my parallel thread, many decent comments which I have found helpful.

pfm Thread.

Fox makes lots of very compelling points re Cubox-i as a streaming box. I may investigate this for fun later as it seems very worthwhile.

This is what I'm currently thinking (below was my answer to ItemAudio on pfm):

Originally Posted by ItemAudio View Post
    If you set the bar at “multimedia, small form factor, reliable, responsive, easy to use” . . . it's so hard to avoid recommending the Mac Mini. It's a miniature marvel; better in most respects than its closest equivalent: a NUC build. Equally moddable, too.

Your only other alternative would be really small form-factor computers - the best of which is currently the PCDuino3. However, these are still a bit underpowered for proper duty: ie, you get nominal '1080p compatibility', but drags and jaggies when the barely adequate frame rate is exposed by complex panning scenes.

Sonically, the main step-ups happen when you get away from a single-rail supply and into DSD resampling, but if you want to stick with a small, quiet speedy little computer, the Mac Mini is it - unless you do Linux on a baby board, which will be a bit cheaper. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear, but I can't see any other way of putting it!

My reply:

OK, this is kind of where the original question was aiming.

I understand the reasoning, but why is a Mini a better option than a Haswell i5 NUC in a fanless case? Such a machine is more than capable of everything (short of heavy duty gaming) expected of a slick HTPC, thanks in part to the respectable integrated graphics in the new Intel chips (4600HD). But also, it covers some of the audio hardware 'tweaks' without even trying:

Passive cooling
    Choice of whichever software
    Low power consumption (including 'T' processors with max 35 TDP)
    DC in, option for LPSU
    All SSD/no moving parts

(NB - I really don't want to see a flame war here about the efficacy or otherwise of the above - the point is they are included as standard in quite a few configurations now and it certainly wouldn't do any harm)

Comparing the above to a McMini, the spec is broadly comparable, and Intel are selling these NUC boards for about £30 more than the processor itself. They are obviously keen to push the NUC philosophy/form factor. This makes it great value, and cheaper than a mini ITX build (the original idea). Also you get the configuration in the bullet points above, surely making it closer to the type of machine people have been building for audio than a stock Mac mini is.

From a hairy chested modding POV, the drawbacks are single rail power and limited expansion possibilities, but I bet something could be possible with some thought.

I specced up an Abel NUC (BYO - build your own) here for £609
    . It has W8.1 64bit, 8GB RAM, 60GB MSATA (another bay available for standard SSD), premium finish, optional wireless module and IR remote supplied. Probably plus VAT & delivery. I may be missing a lot here, but in what conceivable way would a McMini be a better choice (apart from resale - not a consideration)?
  • That's available again? It's slightly lower spec than my previous machine, which I them modded. I don't want to do the same thing again, it's boring!
    I have a feeling it's the same as mine, but I haven't compared model numbers.
  • edited May 2014
    I've tried a good number of media players for Windows and JRiver is certainly my preferred choice for music (i don't do films on disc yet). I'm messing about with JPLay at the moment on JRiver. Using it will invalidate your tech support from JRiver but it is said to optimize the computer for music playback by shutting unnecessary programs down and other trickery - we'll see.
    Stu, thanks for the JRiver experiences, that's good to hear. I want to stream films through the system, so a single, family friendly device with good software is what I want.

I may set up a seperate user account with audio style mods & tweaks for when I want to listen seriously.

I heard Mark from Item talk up JPlay, that's something to look into. In fact, I rather hope Mark might chip in later with some thoughts.

JRiver playing off SSD in ASIO on the TFS is the dogs bollocks on music and movies.
    (More worthy of Class A than vinyl. ;-p

Edit: vinyl also more than worthy, of course...!)
  • edited June 2014
    I had wondered if Jason would have any thoughts on audiopooterizierers, I seem to recall he dabbled previously.

Here is a copy of my most recent post on pfm, in response to the suggestions that I settle for a small linux streamer & get a games console for the kids. It has been a good discussion so far:

We have a wii anyways (filthy habit, playing with one's wii), but the children like their minecraft, youtube etc. We definately want a HTPC solution for the lounge at this time.

As for audio, I'll set up a separate user account, choice software, and away we go with all the processing power we could ever need up to and surpassing on the fly PCM to DSD conversion and/or room correction.

At the moment I'm looking at either pre-built or modular BYO NUC with 4th Gen i5, passive cooled, solid state etc, runs on low power DC input. They come in at about £570 - £670 depending on how pretty you want the case to be.

i5 NUC

Prettier i5 NUC

Or a Mac mini with fans & spinning discs, SMPS, 3rd Gen i7 for £550, maybe I'll muck about with it later. Or not.

I don't fancy the hairy chested self build mini ITX build on reflection, so it's probably going to be one of these options above. Both the NUC & Apple are extremely capable machines, the main criticism seems to be they are overkill and the budget covers both options. So all in all, quite a nice little dilemma to have and one I shall leisurely decide on over the week to come.

As a footnote, tonight I favour the Intel NUC I linked to above over the Mac, because on reflection I think it has a few advantages. Namely the latest Intel processors with significantly improved integrated graphics over the previous generation, and all passive cooled, solid state, low power - this appeals to general 'audiophile good practice' sensibilities and this can't be a bad thing. The Mac uses spinny things, SMPS, has a fan and uses older Intel processors (anybody know if the Mini uses 2nd or 3rd Gen Intel chips?).

They'll probably release a new model this Monday anyways...
  • I did a quick spec up and found the two machines to be very nearly the same price.

The Abel is very much prettier (but I think I'd have to have it in red :-) )