2014 Computer Audio Recipes (Phase IV)

edited June 2014 in Digital
Given the rapidly-changing plethora of options available to build computer audio products - and the increasing trend toward integration of 'smart' devices - the fourth generation of 'recipes' in a line dating back to 2008 suggests three different ways to build low-noise, transparent-sounding streamer/players.

The availability of higher quality power supplies and DSD-capable, Class 2.0 DACs has changed the game for a USB transport in a way that makes
it easier than ever to DIY an open-platform computer source. Off the top of my head, here are the first five of many benefits of doing so:

1. Only an open computer will play any file from any source now and in the future. Any proprietary 'streamer' will be to some extent locked down, limited and one step behind. Future developments, such as the unheralded arrival of Qobuz as a major player this year, are easily integrated.

2. You choose your storage, and you upgrade it when you like. Many 'streamers' have no onboard storage. Onboard storage is cheap, convenient, obviates the need for a NAS, is faster, and sounds better.

3. You choose your interface. Most open-platform players for Mac, PC or Linux have several control apps for Android and Apple iOS. They can often be controlled from the browser of a Chrome OS or any other laptop/desktop machine, whereas proprietary players will lock you down to a single interface, sometimes committing you to a single mobile platform.

4. You save money. Seriously, anyone capable of wiring a plug can do this and save hundreds of pounds/dollars/groats.

5. It sounds better. Because you're using better parts than a mass produced streamer, and can configure your machine way beyond their spec, it will sound more like it's not there; less 'digital'; less like a computer.

In spirit, these recipes are indebted to CICS / cMS Memory Player who published the first computer audio recipes back in 2006 (see timeline here). They owe nothing to Computer Audiophile - every generation of whose recipes post-date ours by several months and with which we encourage readers to compare/contrast!

Although regular readers will be shocked to hear it, most of the Phase IV recipes abandon linear power supplies. It was quite a culture shock for us, too. In fact, it took us three months to admit that the latest generation of off-the-shelf switching ATX supplies have finally reached the point where they are as good as the multi-rail computer-specific linears we've been recommending and building since 2009 - long before anyone else. This is great news for DIYers.

The now-venerable Pi offers further encouragement for DIY computer builders: in some respects it's a perfect device for audio; in others, not. More on this later. And finally, Gigabyte's announcement of motherboards built for USB output to DACs provides greater incentive to simply plug-and-play your own system. It's never been easier to get this right, the choice has never been wider and there's never been less of a need for 'special sauce'. You never had it so good.

Plus, six years of publishing USB-specific computer audio recipes has finally given me an excuse to name something after my favourite ant-based film. On with the show . . .

Comments

• edited June 2014

The P1

P for Player; 1 for entry-level; P1 for Pi.

The Pi is too good to ignore and it makes a killer low-cost build, although it will involve a tiny bit of nursery slope soldering. It puts a big tick in the 'simple is good' box: running a 5V supply and offering
    great extensibility. Plus, it's cheap. On the downside, its USB implementation is appalling for audio. On the upside, it's brilliant as an I2S source.

P1 Basic (from under £100)
    -------------------------------

- Rev B Raspberry Pi: £30
    - TekDevices ES9023 board: £35
    - Stontronics T2526ST or Teradak Teralink T2 Linear PSU: £15/£50
    - USB injector cable with Micro USB adaptor: £5
    - Case from £5-100.
    - A £30-40 interconnect

- SD card (from £5)
    First, the trickiest bit: solder the eight P5 header joints that come with the TekDevices board to the Pi Rev B board. Desolder the RCA sockets from the TekDevices DAC board and solder your RCA leads directly to the board, after removing one set of connectors. This is crucial to
    obtaining the best quality output, and the best free upgrade you'll make.

Of all the low-cost daughterboards for audio, the TekDevices ES9023 one is currently the best-sounding/measuring and the ESS chip has built-in reclocking for I2S input - one of the most critical features of this build. Alternatives we played with during 'development' (the P1 barely qualifies for the description) that impressed us included the similarly-priced IQAudio PiDac based on the Burr Brown/TI PCM5122. Down the list a little way - and not requiring solder of the P5 header - are the Wolfson and HiFiBerry boards, which are both 'OK'.

The Stontronics is the cheapest low-ripple PSU currently available, but it's only just capable of running the Pi + DAC. The 30W Teradak Teralink-X2 is a much higher quality device for a few quid more than has variable output that can be set to 5V. Please note however that this unit does not presently have CE certification. Retaining the Pi's 5V input (rather than bypassing it with 3.3V) enables you to use its HDMI
    output and multimedia functionality - plus, the DAC needs both rails.
    Alternatively, there are a number of open-frame linear supplies offering single-digit p-p noise figures for less than £50 for the braver DIY builder. Or, of course, you can make your own.

Assemble in your choice of case - I like these: http://www.barchdesigns.com

Grab an image of Raspbmc, plug and play. Airplay support is configurable out of the box.

Audiophile Upgrades
    -----------------------
    If you want to get more serious about your Pi build . . .

Replace the ES9023 with an ES9018k2m-based I2S board like this this one and feed it with a 3 wire I2S signal connection from the Pi. Boards and power requirements vary.

Bypass the Pi's onboard 5 > 3.3V linear regulator and power it via a 3.3V LiFePo battery and upgrade the 19.2MHz with a Tentlabs or similar module fed with a separate clean 5V supply (ideally battery).

Hardwire better interconnects.

Install Volumio/MPD instead of Raspbian. This, and the 3.3V mod will rob the Pi of its ability as a multimedia player (no video output or playback), but it will significantly improve its performance.
  • edited June 2014

The P2
    P for Player; 2 for Better.
    ----------------------------------

For all that Pi is cute and cheap, it has fundamental limitations: we can't easily use multi-rail supplies or USB DACs (without making serious compromise), resample to DSD, or install drivers for DACs that don't support Linux (although these are becoming a rarer breed). Also, the Pi DAC boards are couth and tuneful but not exactly boxes of fireworks. For that we need more power - in every department.

The J1800 board is a neglected gem for audio: overlooked (as Celeron often is) between the glitzy new NUCs and the 'proper' i-Series models. However, compare the spec of the Gigabyte J1800N with a Beaglebone Black or Pi . . .
    http://www.gigabyte.com/products/pro...px?pid=4881#ov

We get fast interfaces, fast memory (and more of it), 22nm fab, a much faster on-board dual core processor, proper SATA ports, proper USB (2 and 3), proper Gigabit Ethernet, proper expansion ports (mPCIe and PCIe), on-board passive cooling, industry-standard board size for wider case selection, etc, etc. And the really scary thing is this: it's only £15 more than the Pi. It's cheaper than a Beaglebone. If you can live with a larger form factor, it's the perfect base for an audio PC - and it will even do 1080p video (at a pinch).

What mainly makes it suitable, though, is it's multi-rail power input.
    The most important thing about a PC build for audio is its primary power supply. Previously that would have opened the door to inexpensive linear AC-DC supplies funneled through a Pico PSU DC-DC switcher (total cost: around £70). But then it all changed . . .

Early this year, a new range of - gasp - switch-mode ATX power supplies was released that finally rivaled the performance of the multirail PSUs we've been developing since 2009. About time. The knack, though, is to specify a PSU that's massively over-rated for our purpose.

A J1800N build, as recommended here, will draw around 20W at idle, and peak at 50W - depending on configuration. Why use a massive 750W supply then? Because when pulling less than 150W, these next-gen SMPs produce ripple figures on all rails between 5-9mV p-p.

For perspective, our best multirail linear PSUs deliver ripple figures ranging from 2-5mV in their sweet spot. But because they're rated for between 6-10A (depending on which model you specify), real-world figure rise into double figures as the supplies heat up and are called on to operate in the top half of their operational range.

Think of it like a pint-sized turbocharged engine screaming away at 7K revs, versus a big lazy V8, barely ticking over. Same torque: less stress.

A good single linear or battery like the Red Wine Audio Black Lightning recommended in the confused Computer Audiophile recipes produce extremely clean output, but if you funnel it through a PicoPSU, all the hard work is undone by a hot little switcher generating real-world ripple figures anywhere from 40-150mV p-p.

The benefit of cleaning up all those rails is considerable. Any good multi-rail supply will hugely outperform a £1000 battery jammed through a noisy £25 DC-DC converter.

The economic argument for the new SMPS is compelling. Since 2009, the cheapest multi-rail supply for a computer cost £400 including the ATX loom - and it was a big, ugly lab supply with variable output. The next most affordable multirail linear was £600 and it didn't work with all motherboards. From there up, the Teradak, Paul Hynes and Core Audio products all run well in quadruple figures: £1200-2400.

Now we have comparable levels of performance in a universally compatible, off-the-shelf supply for £120. Very happy days. Although this supply doesn't quite match the performance of exotic linears or -
    particularly - batteries, it is fantastic value, and effectively obsoletes a slew of middling upgrades. Basically, go for this, or go with batteries. Nothing else makes sense.

P2 Core Ingredients: £499
    -----------------------------
    Gigabyte Celeron J1800N: £50
    Leadex SuperFlower Gold 750W (see bench tests here): £120
    64Gb SSD: £40
    4Gb DDR3 1600MHz: £40
    Silverstone Grandia GD04 case: £95
    SoTM SATA filter: £40
    The Celeron has enough horsepower to handle DSD resampling from PCM, which is A Good Thing. However, Linux support for this is patchy. When it does come online, we will offer a free plug-and-play disk image for the P2. Meantime I recommend XBMCBuntu for a multimedia machine, or Volumio/Daphile for an audio-specific machine - all free. Airplay support is configurable out of the box. You can even install Windows if you have/want to pay for a licence.

Turning this platform into a 'Player' able to stream anything from anywhere is simply a case of adding a small form-factor D-A stage capable of playing DSD. Three, low cost, great-sounding DSD DACs can be installed in the Grandia 04 case for around £200:
    - iFi Nano
    - Fostex HPA4
    - Light Harmonics Geek Out

It's hard to go wrong with either. Connect them via the J1800N's internal header and use one of the redundant PCIe slots on the back of the case for a one-box solution. Leave the DAC in its original casework, which will provide necessary shielding. Alternatively, run a dual-conduit USB cable from the USB3 socket to the external DAC of your choice - in which case, the P2 becomes a low-rent version of the T1.

The J1800N has a bonus rough-and-ready on-board DAC with 3.5mm outputs and a headphone socket. Storage can be upgrade internally to 3Tb using dual 2.5" drives. The best alternative to the GD04 case (440 mm (W) x 150 mm (H) x 323 mm (D)) is the £20 more expensive Fractal Design Node 605 - better looking, and a little more robust, but 10-15mm bigger in all dimensions.

It goes without saying, like all our recipes, the P2 is completely silent running. If you can accommodate a CD-player-sized box, the P2 is the best bang-for-buck computer audio player/streamer/server currently available. More detailed build instructions will follow on our website for absolute novices . . .
  • edited June 2014

The T1
    --------

For many years, 'T1' has been associated with some of the best digital transports available. Since 2011, it's also been the name of the best computer audio recipe.

The 2014 edition takes advantages of some developments that didn't exist last year, and we felt it best to recommend two versions: one, showing what can be done on a minimal budget that nonetheless offers a real improvement over an off-the-shelf PC for connection to a USB DAC - and the other a cost-no-object exercise chasing the best available performance . . . by which we simply mean 'transparency'.

T1 Basic Edition: c£600+
    ------------------------

Fractal Design Node 605 Case: £120
    Gigabyte B85N motherboard: £65
    Haswell G3420 processor underclocked to 2.4GHz: (£50)
    Leadex SuperFlower 750W Gold PSU: £120
    64Gb SSD: £40
    4Gb RAM: £40
    SoTM SATA filter: £40
    3m 5100 RF material (1x sheet): £30

For non-DSD-resampling: Volumio or Daphile to taste.

For DSD-resampling systems: Windows 8.1 + Foobar/SACD plugin or JRiver + Quad Core processor upgrade.

A power-injecting USB cable (like the iFi Gemini, KingRex uArt/Craft or Lightspeed) is strongly recommended.

The Gigabyte B85N is the cheapest board to feature Gigabyte's 'DAC UP'
    technology that filters the outgoing 5V rail from the motherboard specifically for connection to external DACs. The combination of this board with the off-the-shelf Leadex Gold 750W is potent and very, very easy for a novice to build. It marks the first Haswell platform we've recommended. The G3420 processor and 4GB RAM under Linux is perfectly adequate for DSD playback and even (just about) DSD resampling. If not DSD resampling, I strongly recommend underclocking the processor to
    2.4GHz.

Full build instructions are available on our website.

T1 Audiophile Edition Upgrades: to c£2000
    ------------------------------------

The basic T1 is a fine platform from which to build a state-of-the-art audio computer. For ultimate results, the board requires multiple clock upgrades, battery power supplies, cryo-treatment, mains isolation, ATX filtration, improved RF/EM absorption, non-ferrous case, vibration damping and - most crucially - clock-upgraded USB output stages, as with out previous recipes.

Unfortunately, each DAC responds best to different approaches: typically, with opto-isolated USB stages, improved clock implementations such as the SoTM and JCAT cards tend to work best. On other DACs, the Adnaco fibre-optic system with a battery power supply tends to be favoured. The PPA USB card is also a good value option on a smaller budget. Some converters respond extremely well to software resampling to DSD; others not so much.

There are three ways to step up from the basic Leadex SuperFlower 750W supply:
    1. Top and tail it with the Core Audio 24 + 4 ATX filters and Trichord Isolation Transformer (£650)
    2. Use the Red Wine Black Lightning PSU and HDPlex DC-DC converter (£1100)
    3. Use a three- or four-rail linear PSU (from £750-2000)

The right one for your build will depend on:
    a) What power filtration and isolation / ground loops you already have in your system
    b) Budget
    c) What other rails you require and what USB card you're using

In terms of measurable, delivered noise, the battery + DC converter is slightly higher than the other two, but does put you off-grid, and that has additional advantages in some systems. However, a full discussion of this is outside the remit of this already lengthy thread - see our website for further details coming soon.
  • Thanks Mark, we appreciate you posting this over here. You are sharing a lot of experience which I (and I hope, many others) will find useful. This has come at a good time for me as I am contemplating a build very soon.

I shall digest some of this and come back at you with some questions, I'm sure!
  • edited June 2014
    In particular, I'm very interested in the recommendation of the SuperFlower SMPS as being nearly up to a LPSU, The review here is most interesting - JonnyGURU

This review from Techpowerup is a little more technical, and just as positive.

I think split power supplies look like a great idea.
  • That's something for me to read when I have the time.

Thanks for all that Mark.
  • DanDan
    edited June 2014
    Mark is currently doing me a T1 transport with a multi rail linear and he's done the main body of my Uni MacMini, Paul Hynes is responsible for the two PSU's on the Mac, one for the main u it and one for the MiniStack which houses the SSD fed back to the Mac via Firewire.

I'm getting excited about the results and anticipate it all to be back with me in about a week.

Will be interesting comparing the Mac with the T1.
  • Much better than a PicoPSU, for sure - and no more ugly, bulky external lab supplies. Unfortunately, the only Streacom case slightly compatible with a man-sized ATX PSU is the FC10. Still, everyone does a Streacom case build now - be different!

We have something new in the pipeline that might be much prettier, but it's all a bit hush-hush. More on this later.
  • Mark is currently doing me a T1 transport with a multi rail linear and he's done the main body of my Uni MacMini, Paul Hynes is responsible for the two PSU's on the Mac, one for the main u it and one for the MiniStack which houses the SSD fed back to the Mac via Firewire.

I'm getting excited about the results and anticipate it all to be back with me in about a week.

Will be interesting comparing the Mac with the T1.
    I'm hoping to collect the multirail linear today in the aluminum casework - you've snagged the original cryo-treated DAT1 from the five-star HiFi World review back in 2011 - an historic first: the first computer 'server' to be reviewed with a linear multirail.

Hope you like the Mac, too: Paul's supply for it is excellent.
  • Mark stated 'something new in the pipeline'

Don't ask me what it is as my lips are sealed but I can say it will be a head turning line that will get tounges wagging for sure!

Cheers Mark, looking forward to it :)
  • It's an exciting time to be building something, that's for sure. I'm keen as mustard to begin, but I must pace myself, I've changed my mind many times already this week. A plan is beginning to solidify though.
  • What are going for roughly Alan?
    A full size, small or micro build?

That fanless NUC u linked to in another thread looks good, price starts going up when u factor in proper bo PSU's and if u decide to separately power the SSD.

The more isolation, shielding and noise reduction the better but u have to set urself a limit and work within those parameters. I'm sure if the likes of Mark was let loose with an unlimited budget things would get pretty wild!
  • New thread started Dan, just looking up some numbers.
  • Regarding linear vs. SMPS for computer audio, I am not sold on linear being better intrinsically.  It is probably more to do with the SMPS spitting noise back into the same mains block as the rest of the HiFi is properly connected to, in which case a simple filter could alleviate this.  Considering that people are using cryoed SATA cables computer audio is opening up a whole new world of foo, but have been very inspired by this particular thread as it has some real-world stuff that looks like it'll just work for HiFi (noiseless being an important criterion).
  • You have a point: when I first excitedly approached our EMC and fabrication guy about the new supplies, all he had to say was: “I'm surprised it took this long.”

The aversion to switching supplies is only to do with them generating lousy ripple figures, and their nasty habit of pumping high frequency harmonics everywhere. As Linn have demonstrated for more than a decade now, 'Switching' isn't necessarily taboo. Class D amps do it. Teddy Pardo supplies do it. Now we do, too.

We try a lot more stuff that you might consider 'foo', but only if it works - and only if I can understand roughly why it might work - does it go into the recipe. We've been championing common-sense low-noise computer builds like this since 2008, but we've not received much credit for it - though our designs have been much copied! I'm so glad it's given you food for thought: we put a lot of time into it.
  • I don't have an opinion, but I know Jason (figlet) did some trialing of linear v switching when designing his TFS. He ended up with linear. 2 in fact, one for the motherboard and a separate one for the soundcard.
    If he pops in, may be he'll give his thoughts.
  • Thanks for posting all of this Mark. I'll give it a read later.
  • edited June 2014
    I have so little experience of this, what I think probably doesn't matter much; it seems linear supplies can only do so much without being separated and fed into the motherboard and critical components at different stages. If it isn't separated, the clean power has to go through switching regulators for each major component to drop the voltage.

On the other hand, if each main component sees it's own decent independent power (whether linear, battery or switching), then many of those motherboard regulators are bypassed. So the motherboard, the processor, the SSD and the USB card all see high quality independently generated and regulated power, and are happy. That's not the whole story, but it's a good part of it. (A switching PS, for example, would surely need filtering to keep the mains supply clean, or perhaps an isolation transformer).

I keep reading batteries are the best way to power the parts of an audio computer, but I kind of hope the Superflower PS get's most of the way there but with much better convenience. A head to head would be truly interesting.
  • Here are all the leads bundled with the superflower, they run power directly to components without need for a pico box.

This is where they connect to the PS.

• I wonder how much noise the fan will inject? Or if it has been filtered?
  • Docfoster - we supplied/advised Jason with/about his first linear power supplies back in the days when linear was the only way to fly. Times have changed!

Alan - You're bang on the money re: separate feeds for each item. Previously, it was difficult and expensive to do this with separate linears and batteries. Life's so much easier when you have clean rails on tap. This route isn't the last word (I've updated the T1 recipe with instructions for advanced PSUs), but it's a great place to begin.

Dan - the SuperFlower / Leadex 750W operates passively (fanless) in first 20-30% of its output. In a typical T1/P1 build, it will just gather dust. We'll not have a computer with fans - or that makes any kind of noise - on my watch. The most common complaint I get from first time customers or those that follow the recipes is: “I've tried to turn it on, but I think it's broken”. This happens maybe 1 in 4. I have to explain: “It's not broken, it's inert. It's supposed to be silent . . .”

To anyone planning on a build, I would say that would we put a lot of time into research and testing of these recipes and if you can buy the bits from us, it helps. Also, it should help you save money: I try to make sure the 'kit price' is less than the cost of buying the bits individually, when you factor in all the postage from half a dozen different sources. No pressure - just saying!
  • Docfoster - we supplied/advised Jason with/about his first linear power supplies back in the days when linear was the only way to fly. Times have changed!
    Thanks for that. :-)
    Not unusual for me to be out of date when it comes to such things...!

• That's interesting Mark 25-30% of 750w is more than enough for most builds orientated around audio, would running 1080p cause the fan to kick in?

Will my tri-linear supply still produce better results?
  • The noise levels of the tri-linear is lower, and it's entirely passive. One of the unmeasured properties of the SMPs is high frequency harmonic noise, which is why I'd still recommend a USB output card featuring galvanic isolation, and mains isolation transformers, topping and tailing it. The linear is inherently a bit better, bit a lot more expensive.
  • Thanks Mark. I'm going to be running it all feom a high grade isolation transformer also, so that should also help.
  • So I had a Crucial M4 240GB SSD lying around doing nothing, so decided to take the plunge & do a P2 style build as specified by ItemAudio.  Same case and motherboard with 8GB of Kingston RAM.  Also got an ASUS DVD burner.  Look forward to setting it up!  Not sure why a SATA filter would be needed for SSD and such power supply overkill, but maybe something to have a go with at another time.  
  • Actually am going to use a Blu-Ray drive instead of DVD.  Keep discs out of it when not in use of course... :P
  • edited June 2014
    Good luck, Neil! I hope it goes well with your build, please keep us updated.

I was speaking with Mark (Item) last night, I am going to make my order today or tomorrow (Item can supply all the parts).

It could be worth noting that internal optical drives have their own switching PS which is noisy, this is why the Item kits have always specified no ODD. I plan to use a USB3 external blueray writer/player which will be plugged in only when needed.
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Alan, yeah I know they can be a bit noisy, but am going to see for myself as will be using mine for CD archiving and movie playback duties as well as streaming. I may try a SATA filter on the optical drive, and also make sure there are no discs in it when not in use.  Also I have an AQVOX power supply, so my USB out from the PC's power line is interrupted and the AQVOX feeds my Halide Bridge with dedicated linear power...
  • It's all about separating the power, isolating as many things as possible and keeping things as clean as possible as far as I can tell. I've found in general that with all hifi better power supplies always have an appealing effect.

Looks like the start of some interesting build here on Chews.

Be very interested to hear u get on Alan with the Flower Power PSU, it looks very good :-)
  • It's all about separating the power, isolating as many things as possible and keeping things as clean as possible as far as I can tell. I've found in general that with all hifi better power supplies always have an appealing effect.

Be very interested to hear u get on Alan with the Flower Power PSU, it looks very good :-)
    Indeed, every single chip pin and power supply in my DAC has its own transformer winding, never mind power supply!  Even the input relay has its own transformer winding.

Lots of dispatch messages today so should be on the way with the build this weekend!

Indeed, every single chip pin and power supply in my DAC has its own transformer winding, never mind power supply!  Even the input relay has its own transformer winding.

Lots of dispatch messages today so should be on the way with the build this weekend!

What dac do u have?
  • Hi Dan: http://www.audialonline.com/model-s/ (MK1 version with output transformers).
  • Audial sounds familiar... I wonder if that's one of the DACs Marcin (JPlay) was talking about which piqued my interest? I'll have to read up when I can make some time.

Neil, did you modify the power yourself, or is it part of the design?

It looks like you'll beat me with your PC build by a week or two, I'll be glad to follow your experiences though.
  • No modifications, nothing to modify!  It also has a balanced mains transformer built-in...

I don't think my case is going to arrive today, shame, but got the other bits coming.  I think it'll be running by next Weds or something. :) 
  • Fight! Fight! Fight!
  • Intersting, Neil. Thanks!

Dave - shut it! ;) It's been suggested that I have been causing enough fights on pfm to last a while.
  • Doesn't surprise me ;-)

What have you been saying?
  • Alan made the mistake of trying to talk about computers. The PFM natives clapped their hands over their ears and ran amok screaming until threads were pulled by the owners. It's a sorry affair - particularly as Daniel Weiss had just joined the discussion, and was about to settle some interesting questions.

Compare and contrast with TirNaHifi, JPlay, Computer Audiophile, XXHighEnd, Audio Asylum, unreadable Asian forums - even WigWam. On PFM, every component within a three foot radius of a turntable is enormously important, but computers are all the same and - according to the owner - any other viewpoint is part of a conspiracy to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Meanwhile, here on AudioChews and elsewhere in the real world, folks are doing, making and learning. Hurrah!
  • Hi Dan: http://www.audialonline.com/model-s/ (MK1 version with output transformers).
    Looks interesting - I've never heard of it. Good, is it?
  • Alan made the mistake of trying to talk about computers. The PFM natives clapped their hands over their ears and ran amok screaming until threads were pulled by the owners. It's a sorry affair - particularly as Daniel Weiss had just joined the discussion, and was about to settle some interesting questions.

Compare and contrast with TirNaHifi, JPlay, Computer Audiophile, XXHighEnd, Audio Asylum, unreadable Asian forums - even WigWam. On PFM, every component within a three foot radius of a turntable is enormously important, but computers are all the same and - according to the owner - any other viewpoint is part of a conspiracy to spread fear, uncertainty and doubt.

Meanwhile, here on AudioChews and elsewhere in the real world, folks are doing, making and learning. Hurrah!
    Why do these people carry on hating digital?
  • edited June 2014
    Hi Dan: http://www.audialonline.com/model-s/ (MK1 version with output transformers).
    Looks interesting - I've never heard of it. Good, is it?
    Best DAC I've heard, makes the usual suspects sound positively digital.  My Pioneer PL-71 turntable setup isn't close, I expect I would have to spend five figures on a vinyl rig to get it close.  I have the SPDIF version, but there is also a USB version that will do up to 192kHz on a non-oversampling 16bit DAC!

And interesting for someone like yourself, as it's non-oversampling, you can experiment with software-based oversampling.  Have been trying minimum & linear phase filters as well as intermediate.  NOS DACs as you know have a slight treble rolloff, but feed them with 88.2kHz files and this rolloff disappears.  Been playing with http://sox.sourceforge.net/SoX/Resampling

Oversampling to 96kHz is very audible in that digital artefacts creep in and it doesn't sound as natural as the 'easy and even' 88.2kHz oversampling.
  • edited June 2014
    For the record I still think that non-oversampling is the most natural, but the oversampling is noticeable at the top end especially with cymbals, bit more air and top-end extension at the penalty of introducing phase / ringing issues associated with all digital filters, which makes for a less analogue sound.  Native 96kHz & 88.2kHz albums would be the way to go to correct NOS DAC treble rolloff, but it's a 44.1 world for me being a CD collector...
  • Thanks Mark, 

Shame the only thing I understood was Linear Power Supply, I could just manage to design one of those I think.

• So I decided to grab a SoTM SATA filter for the optical drive.  Have also gone for top quality components (Crucial SSD, HyperX LoVo RAM, Pioneer Blu-Ray burner).  I am very much hoping it is at least the equal of my current CD transport, so I can just use the Media Centre PC for everything (streaming, video, archiving & ad-hoc CD playback).

Hopefully the Super Flower Gold PSU & Silverstone GD04 case will be arriving this week.  Already have the Gigabyte GA-J1800N-D2H motherboard, optical drive, copy of Windows 8 & RAM ready to go. :)
  • edited June 2014
    Well am up and running with the ItemAudio P2(ish), thought I'd put in in the system instead of my usual CD transport, doesn't look as big in real life (as you're looking over it).

First impressions are the silent operation is great (weird even remembering back to my old PC building days), the adhesive aluminium plate for the optical drive needs several takes for a perfect 'clunk' when the mech closes rather than catching or scraping.  The hardware is bomb-proof and likely to last over a decade, no kidding.

As for the sound it's a promising start (as in I didn't immediately put my CD transport back in!), but I'd like to optimise the audio playback better & sort some rips out before being critical... am just enjoying the new flexibility at the moment with a Media Server connected to the TV.  One thing I did notice is plugging the AQVOX USB power supply for the Halide Bridge (interrupting the USB power out from the PC with a dedicated linear supply) made me sit down and take this thing seriously.

• For the record the Buddha is sitting on a tiny Vista Audio phono stage that can tilt a bit due to the cabling. ;)
  • Hissing of Summer Lawns?
  • Indeed. ;)