2014 Computer Audio Recipes (Phase IV)

2»

Comments

• After installing JRiver and ripping a CD - the most underrated Metallica's "Load" - I've been listening in comparison to playing the CD direct through Foobar2000, in comparison, the 'glare' is gone.  This is better than my CD transport on gut feeling, and indeed manages to hold fine detail without sounding etched and chopped in the process!
  • Getting the CD player out of the picture does wonders!
  • Great progress Neil, and it looks great on the rack. There is something of the TEAC VRDS about that chassis.

I'm waiting on mine still, the order is taking a while as the motherboard & processor have still to be cryo-treated. It made sense to do it at this early stage for minimal outlay, plus a small delay (another two or three weeks I think).
  • Great progress Neil, and it looks great on the rack. There is something of the TEAC VRDS about that chassis.

I'm waiting on mine still, the order is taking a while as the motherboard & processor have still to be cryo-treated. It made sense to do it at this early stage for minimal outlay, plus a small delay (another two or three weeks I think).
    Cryo-treating motherboards... interesting.  Indeed I thought the same it's quite TEAC VRDS-like in stature.  My previous experiences of computer audio was that it was very tweaky to get the most out of it e.g. using Foobar2000 with ASIO instead of Windows Media Player.  This time round am just going for JRiver & disabling some redundant Windows services. :) 
  • edited June 2014
    I can highly recommend following this article: http://www.petri.com/optimize-windows-8-audio-setup-jriver-media-center.htm

Very happy with the build and performance so far it is in the same league as a quality CD transport. It also kills my MacBook Pro on Spotify! HD movies are fluid with the Royds adding a new dimension to video - who needs surround sound?!
  • Well done mate, great result!

I am going to bite the bullet and actively cool mine for a couple of months. I am waiting on a swish new case which incorporates passive cooling, and I can't really justify spending out on temporary passive cooling solutions. It should still be a decent transport in the meantime (if not the last word).

Sometimes it hurts making sensible decisions!

It will give me time to learn the new software though, so not all bad. I won't be listening so much over the summer months anyway.
  • Yomanze: looking/sound good! Software is definitely a factor - I'll be publishing Phase IV pre-optimised unregistered disk images for Linux and Windows OS that will just plug and play on the T1. Obviously the third generation versions don't work on Phase IV machines - working on that.

As you say, it's such a bonus having great two-channel sound for video. Why aren't computers more popular as home multimedia players?