A&R A60 mods

edited February 2011 in DIY
I've been doing some modernisation to the A60 , if you have one dont throw it away , it can be made to sound very very good for such an old amp ..sell it to me if you are going to throw it away. :)

Comments

• Definitely still competitive today with a freshen-up.

The matching T21 tuner is also excellent.

I have two A60s and a T21 with the amps spanning different periods of issue. I've a soft spot for the early all discrete versions but all sound excellent.
  • I have an early DIN one and would be keen to know what you can to maintain/tweak it. Bearing in mind my very limited electronic/soldering skills simple ones only !

Seriously under-rated amp imho.

• I've never heard one, but I've only heard good things about them.
  • Mostly, it benefits from a service - so checking and resetting quiescent current, replacing some electrolytic caps and fitting a better volume pot. Doesn't really need what I'd call modification.
    The volume pot fitted is a pretty cheap thing and the tracking can be a little off at the low end, plus they tend to crackle a bit which is not unexpected as some of these are over 30 years old.

• Yes as Rob wrote , a recap (all the electrolytics) and a new volume pot will do the trick. I've started to replace some resistors that take it to the later model spec and am about to replace the diodes and tant/ceramic caps with modern polystyrene ones ...see "decibel Dungeon" for the upgrades.