JRiver

edited August 2014 in Digital
Have just happily spent £25 on something I already owned, or rather thought that I already owned
Have been experimenting playing pretty much all my music from my pc through my lovely loaned Claymore over the past month, which has only been feasible using the JRiver Media Centre I've had on trial. Trial period now over and I have rarely handed over money so cheerfully. Primarily, of course, it is the quality of sound that is the selling point. I am getting to grips with some of the options on it, even though I'm no techie wizz and will probably only ever use a small portion of what is has to offer. 
This morning I'm having a good old wander through the internet sampling some of those juicy little internet stations out there. Pigpen radio at the mo. Any recommendations gratefully received :-)

Comments

• Always Radio Paradise for me, 'tis a smorgasbord. They have a tasty 24/192 ogg vorbis stream which is very good.
  • Always Radio Paradise for me, 'tis a smorgasbord. They have a tasty 24/192 ogg vorbis stream which is very good.
    Thanks Al!
    I wasn't aware of that. Will get that sorted myself. :-)

• edited August 2014
    Have just happily spent £25 on something I already owned, or rather thought that I already owned
    Have been experimenting playing pretty much all my music from my pc through my lovely loaned Claymore over the past month, which has only been feasible using the JRiver Media Centre I've had on trial. Trial period now over and I have rarely handed over money so cheerfully. Primarily, of course, it is the quality of sound that is the selling point. I am getting to grips with some of the options on it, even though I'm no techie wizz and will probably only ever use a small portion of what is has to offer. 
    This morning I'm having a good old wander through the internet sampling some of those juicy little internet stations out there. Pigpen radio at the mo. Any recommendations gratefully received :-)
    It maybe worth playing around with the output format in JRiver. I have found ASIO to offer the best sound quality. The last i knew yours was set to the default "direct sound". I remember briefly changing your JRiver output format to ASIO but your PC (soundcard?) didn't like it. It may be possible to tweak a sampling rate or install an ASIO driver or something to rectify that. In the meantime try WASAPI (not peas) (my second preference). Others there too of course to suck and see.
  • Yes, JRiver has been prompting me to experiment with output format. Tried installing an ASIO driver, but poor old pc still didnt like it. Have followed your advice and set it to WASAPI whilst I experiment a little more. Is there a comprehensible (to me) explanation for how these programs effect difference? Or is it just a matter of playing around and seeing what the results are?
  • Ok, one really evident difference is that WASAPI plays stuff MUCH louder than the Direct Sound!!  My poor lodger has just had a rude Rotary Connection awakening. Oops.
  • Thanks Alan, have found Radio Paradise and their Ogg Vorbis stream. (though that does sound like something from the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy!)
  • Tried installing an ASIO driver, but poor old pc still didnt like it. Have followed your advice and set it to WASAPI whilst I experiment a little more. Is there a comprehensible (to me) explanation for how these programs effect difference?
    No.
  • well that's all clear then  ;)
  • Unfortunately the potential to develop an understanding of audio transfer protocols is stored on the Y chromosome...
    ;-p
  • Jriver is a great format.
  • All my music is through my laptop and I have always used iTunes, and often though about the Jriver format, I'll have to give it a go