10W SECA Basic design PCBs are now available.

edited August 2014 in Members' blogs
This basic design is simple to make and all the parts are available from RS,Farnell and Maplin.
A Heatsink and Transformer and a box is the only other parts needed and your chosen connectors.

Comments

• Hello Colin,
    How far removed from my 20w is this design ?
  • Chris, It is a basic design like Alans Blob and Dave's Green Goddess, It is a project for the beginner as a taster of what you could do, it is close the the TOCA without so much power.

• Power to the people!
  • Sooner people start getting these they will appreciate the music more,the ultimate goal surely.
  • That's about the size of it!

A Boxster for a taste of a top of the range 911.
  • edited August 2014
    Having built a SECA amplifier I can only recommend this! It is so much fun, and these little class A babies will monster most amps you'll ever hear! My 10W baby walks over my previous 90W class A/B 'statement amp....

So how much are the pcb, and is there a shopping list for the parts? Assembly instructions?
  • More info's in the works Alan.
  • Ok, I can wait.

I love the fact that Colin is wanting to support the audiophile community with a kit amplifier. It shows he really understands music and hifi people, treating us as friends, not customers.

Making this level of performance available for a couple of hundred pounds hasn't been done before, AFAIK.

Very few manufacturers are willing to share knowledge and experience like this and it should be applauded.
  • More info's in the works Alan.
    Dave said he would translate the gobbledy gook I write to English, Phew that will be a blessing and I will ask Lasse to translate it to Swedish he he
  • It may take some time.

Never did understand electronics, even when I was doing my Physics degree.
  •  I love the fact that Colin is wanting to support the audiophile community with a kit amplifier. It shows he really understands music and hifi people, treating us as friends, not customers.
    ^This. :-)
  • This is Colin teaching me to build stuff: 

Can't wait to see how Dave does!

• Just signed up after following Alan's link from pfm (I'm James Evans on there).  Very interested in building one of these I must say.  Always loved the claymore (still using) and subsequent Oberon that I had.

As others have said, credit to Colin for making this available.  Will follow with interest.
  • Welcome James

There's plenty happening in the Land of Colin. I hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but he's talking about an upgrade path from the basic Class A kit, too. 

This one will be better than the Claymore, I'm sure.
  • This is Colin teaching me to build stuff: 

Can't wait to see how Dave does!

If I can build it, anyone can!
  • edited August 2014
    I believe Dave is correct, it'll be possible to improve the power supply on this kit from the off.

Welcome, James, I always read your posts with interest (as I do anyone who actually understands the dark arts of DIY audio...)
  • You're mistaking me with another James I think Alan, I merely wield a hot iron and pray things don't go bang!  Been relatively lucky on that front so far... only a handful of amps and speakers killed...
  • edited August 2014
    You man the iron is supposed to be hot? I thought that was for shirts...?
  • I think that's where I've been going wrong as well.  Always thought the tip was a bit on the chunky side :-)
  • I am re-posting this from my old build thread so people coming across know what we are talking about: The kit is a progression of the amplifiers detailed in these links to Electronics World magazine.

--------------------------------------

Colin published his SECA circuit for all to use in Electronics World, March 1999 (See here for link, EW1, EW2, EW3).
    There are 5 variants of differing outputs: 20w, 50w, 100w, 200w, &
    300w. Colin actually built all these professionally, including the 300w
    SECA monoblocks, which is the largest SECA amplifier ever built. More
    recently he has developed his ideas further and refined his circuit, but
    his basic vision of a SECA circuit is all there in the magazine. This
    is the range he actually built:

• The Kit will be Mono in separate boxes.
    The basic design will perform like Daves Green Goddess but by adding a extra PSU PCB that will not be self made but complete, you can add the dynamic PSU to give a low power version of the Iridium without the deep deep sub sonic bass,
    Kits can be bought direct and via Chews.
    Price to be announced later after the haggling to keep cost affordable, oh all parts can be bought in small easy parts, i.e. PCB, case,etc so this will help to keep the initial cost low. (Dave and Alan,s idea) nice one. 
  • FANTASTICO!!!

• Hi Colin the psu pcb could that be added to my amp or something similar, i think we discussed it it via pm about a board and new transformer excuse me i it's nonsense.
  • The Green Goddess as a kit, with a potential upgrade sounds like a great thing to me.

I think everyone who has heard her has liked what she does. And turbo-charging her has to be a great thing! (not that I'm looking for an upgrade to her. She will stay as made by Col).
  • If you're new here from any of my social media posts, please sign up and post your questions and thoughts about the kit.
  • Utterly cool all round. :-)
  • Pcbs ready now to order
  • What's the price Colin ?
  • Where do we order from Colin? I fancy building one of these.
  • edited August 2014
    I was chatting with Colin just now, things are almost ready to go. The PCBs aren't manufactured yet (although they are ordered), and the cases aren't yet off the production line either.

Everything we need to use is easily available at RS and Maplin, the most expensive part is the heatsink.

Depending on the final prices, we might get lucky and see the kits come in at closer to £300 than £500 for completed monoblocks for us builders.

There will be an add-on option for a fully regulated power supply which will make these amps as good as the very best solid state SECA amps currently out there, but they could add half as much again to the cost of the amps. They are entirely optional though. In fact everything can be bought bit by bit, even one channel at a time, which makes the whole thing easier to finance.

These are exciting times! It's just hard to be patient...
  • Yup. I have some spreadsheets I need to look at this evening.
  • I was chatting with Colin just now, things are almost ready to go. The PCBs aren't manufactured yet (although they are ordered), and the cases aren't yet off the production line either.

Everything we need to use is easily available at RS and Maplin, the most expensive part is the heatsink.

Depending on the final prices, we might get lucky and see the kits come in at closer to £300 than £500 for completed monoblocks for us builders.

There will be an add-on option for a fully regulated power supply which will make these amps as good as the very best solid state SECA amps currently out there, but they could add half as much again to the cost of the amps. They are entirely optional though. In fact everything can be bought bit by bit, even one channel at a time, which makes the whole thing easier to finance.

These are exciting times! It's just hard to be patient...

Crikey. The messiah has returned. And this time his name is Colin.

• Yup. I have some spreadsheets I need to look at this evening.
    Strap yourself in folks. It's Wednesday night chez Rosam...
  • Yup. I need to get back to Colin over some details.
  • Soon maybe????
  • I'll call you later.
  • edited August 2014
    Just talked to Colin

There are still some costs to come in, plus instructions to be written and test models to build.

Watch this space...

While the components are readily available, Colin wants to be able to sell a complete kit - circuit boards, case, components, psu etc - to make it super-easy for anyone to build their own Class A amps.
  • I'm in for a full kit. :) 
  • Wow instructions.....this is the DIY equivalent of glamping :)
  • Oh yes!

Colin is making these things really easy for people like me who last picked up a soldering iron when I was about 12!
  • I'm in for a full kit. :) 
    Excellent!
  • Be a few people spending less on their heating
  • Just right for the colder months, Chris :-)
  • The new SECA log fire and music, ideal with a brandy and lovely music on cold a winter night. (No piano please Alan) he he  :))
  • Good work Col.

Count me in for a kit when ready.  Presume it's monoblock power amps/shared PSU? or is it separate PSU/board?

Happy to have ago either way if it was possible for you to PM me with the costs/details?
  • Mono Blocks cost soon, just checking last bits metal work yuk
  • I would love to give one a go as I'm completely sold out on class A
    Im Going to Steve 'Electricbeech' house today with others to have a amp bake off, I'll keep you posted!
  • I would love to give one a go as I'm completely sold out on class A
    Im Going to Steve 'Electricbeech' house today with others to have a amp bake off, I'll keep you posted!
    I'm feeling partisan about your bake-off already! Be sure to let us know how your Class A is received...
  • What does Steve use?

The Iridium's bundle of qualities make it the best I've ever heard, so I odn't think you'll have anything to fear!
  • In the middle of the name off the bake off now, he uses Dared DV 6c triode pre amp/ class D which is a stonker of an amp.