Colin's new SECA amp kits

Comments

• Looking very good Paul
  • Is that OK, now if you house is 30C not 20C then you will use a bigger heatsink or run at a ower power, I have also allowed for a -+20V rail just in case.
    This is a rough guide only.
  • So if you want 4Ohm at 24.99W you will need 0.3C/W and at 20C ambient it will be 62C thus at 30C it will 72C, to hot. and it static load will be 140W/ch.

• edited June 2015
    Use ceramic isolation pads only to get best result and fine smear of thermal grease.

DO NOT GET IN EYES
  • Here is an eBay link to the same beat sinks I have , they are less than half price here.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=290425055612
  • I give up !
    Thanks for your efforts Paul. :)
    What were you trying to do?
  • Thanks for that Paul
  • Can someone share a link to the BoM please? I need to get the parts ordered.
  • Here you go James
  • edited June 2015
    I give up !
    Can I help Paul?

• edited June 2015
    @spev and @Mark can you take your discussion about respect for Coiln and his designs away from this thread please? And I don't mean into a new one!

Thanks.

Edit: posts now deleted. I don't think there's anything with information lost.
  • Here you go James
    Cheers James.  Is this BoM per individual amp PCB?  What about the PSU boards?
  • Ah, mmmm, let me get back to you as I'm out and about
  • Thanks James. I'm pleased to see they're 10-30 watts. I had assumed they were fixed at 10 watts. This allows me to try more power into my H2's compared to my Oto.
  •  
     Took the day off work, and drilled some holes !

imageimage
  • It looks like a 12 week scan...

:x
  • That looks a bit swish Paul, where is the chassis from?
  • James your body as bee tattooed with seca bom

Took the day off work, and drilled some holes !

imageimage
    Crickey mate that is fast, I bet you washing up is quick too he he
  • Lol........case is from Ebay James.

Washing up........hhmm....better get that done before the boss get in !
  • Bang tidy that Paul
  • Lol........case is from Ebay James.

Washing up........hhmm....better get that done before the boss get in !
    That scary cat, yep ginger and bites best guard cat I have ever met. 

:D
  • What, this little cutie :)

• edited June 2015
    This is the circuit I used in the PC case Sam had made his SECA kit in.

• edited June 2015
    From Steve , who had to listen to the new Kits on Sunday.
    "DIY SECA Kit

I recently had the opportunity to hear the best sounding 'computer case' I've come across..!

I'm not a reviewer so bear with me if my analogies are a bit wayward, but I'm trying to find ways to express a 'sense' through words. I should add that the time spent was more of a listen than a test or review and connected components were only a 10+ year old DVD player as source (!), bog standard IEC power cables and cheap mid-sized stand-mount speakers. I'll surmise my thoughts based on existing experience (neither vast nor exotic) - They're musical, fast, detailed, pure and textured.

From cold, the opening track through the SECAs began with a thrum across acoustic guitar that was open with an in-the-room'ness quality…

With acoustic, ambient/electronic and voice the overriding sense is that the SECAs are VERY open, detailed and light of touch, music seems almost as if carried on air.

The sound is just 'there' and 'pure' rather than other amps that seem to almost push music down a tube, constraining and colouring it. I think the SECAs may be what some would call 'natural' sounding (ie. they don't really add anything).

Sound no longer came from (within) the speakers but more like a bloom of sound that surrounded or escaped their confines and filled the space around with an effortless delivery."
    >:) Thank for your thoughts Steve.
  • Great, I'd also like to hear auld thoughts when his kit is complete

•  Nearly there. Hope it works :)

imageimageimage
  • Looks really nice Paul.
    A thing of beauty. :)
  • Thanks Ben.

Its tiny (for a SECA anyway ! ).......can't wait to get it up and running.

• edited June 2015
    Thanks Ben.

Its tiny (for a SECA anyway ! ).......can't wait to get it up and running.

Yeah. When I saw the sockets it gave it some scale, and I was surprised at its cute little proportions!
  • That is lovely Paul but then all you work is a piece of Art, weldone when will it be turned on?
  • Morning col.

Ta mate. Im out the next couple of nights, so will be friday,sat.
  • Morning col.

Ta mate. Im out the next couple of nights, so will be friday,sat.
    It might be I have been up all night completing SECA Pre, it now sounds OK. HP is lovely loud and clear, might have to reduce its power I think 2 W is silly.
  • Interesting news Sir Colin
  • Indeed it is.  I was wondering what kind of pre to mate with the baby power
  • As much as i love my Id1P a new pre would be great !

imageimageimage
    Looks fantastic, Paul.

And love that it's so small.

Who was having problems with WAF of normally sized SECAs earlier this year? Could be the answer to potty people who don't see the beauty in large.
  • I think that was Chris. Pretty sure hes using something else now.
  • He could have a SECA back in place :-)

imageimageHI Paul
    How are you screwing the transistors to the copper plate? Have you countersunk the back of the copper  plate so the screw heads are flush with the back of the copper plate allowing the copper plate to sit flush with the heat sink?

• Copper attaches to the heatsink with the seven M4 X 12 flange head bolts you can see in the pic.

I made sure they lined up with the vents in the heatsink so i could tap right through.

Transistors m3 tap in the copper and a few mil into the back plate.
  • So are the transistors fixed with self tapping screws and no nuts behin them?
  • No.... M3 bolts
  • Will take some more pics when fully completed, which will be this weekend
  • edited June 2015
    Got it, thanks. I was going to wind you up a bit by asking more questions but I thought I shouldn't push me luck :-*
  • Naughty man :)
  • Got it, thanks. I was going to wind you up a bit by asking more questions but I thought I shouldn't push me luck :-*
    Are so that what you do to me, ha ha.

I be in Tonbridge on Monday will that be OK see you after the meeting I have there.
  • Cool, I'll get some cheese in
  •  
      We have lift off !.......well the left channel anyway :)

• Great news Paul