Inca Tech Claymore - Is this a mod or were some built like this ??

Hi - Lovely to have a resource for these lovely amps and other CW designs.

I recently picked up this beauty from a lady who sold it on behalf of her brother and said to her knowledge it had never been serviced or modified. 
There is a toggle switch on the back next to the headphone socket, which does the following:

when in the 'down' position only plays through the headphone socket
when in 'mid' or 'up' position only plays through the speakers.

Quite handy I must say, but I didn't think Claymores were manufactured like this. So do the experts here know if some were, or is this definitely a modification?

Many thanks in advance,

Sam

imageimage

Comments

• Hi Sam

Welcome to Chews.

This has become the home from home of Colin Wonfor ;-) In fact, I'm surprised he's not dropped by yet. He's probably stuck on the M27 or the M25, which seem to be his favourite car parks.

Tell us about the rest of your gear...

Dave
  • Thanks Dave - I have put a little something in the 'Say Hello' thread. 

Great to be here

Sam

• Thanks Sam

I'll give it a read.
  • I have a Claymore (currently lent to a friend (Suzy6toes here).
    It does not have the switch.
    However I do have a vague memory of reading somewhere that the switch was a standard feature on later models. I believe that on my (older than your) model, one has to unplug the speaker cables to silence the speakers when listening through headphones, hence the addition of the switch on later models. Though I am not 100% on that...
    If Suzy's about she could check this.
    Obviously Colin would know.
  • Paul @quickie may know as well.
  • Hi, I am about, but have no headphones at the mo (as my neighbours will attest to!) to double check Doc's memory of having to unplug the speaker cables. I'm sure he's right (he sometimes is, you know?!) but will let you know when I get my hands on some headphones.
    Colin, where are you???
    Good for you, Sam, for seeing out your Inca Tech :-) 
  • Ok, so have just tried the Claymore and, indeed, I had to unplug speaker cables to silence speakers with the headphones in. I have little chrome switch envy now. Damn it!
    In case any one cares, I borrowed a set of AKG K271 MIIs .  Hm, lovely initial thrill to hear the Claymore through headphones for the first time (thanks to this thread). No relief for the neighbour, who just ends up with me screeching at the top of my lungs. But fun for me. However, disappointing soundstage with the K271s I thought.
  • Go sing!!!
  • Yes, I sometimes do have people who live in a different county give me the go-ahead  ;))
  • Wow. The community of Audiochews works...
  • Thanks for all the input folks. I have an instruction sheet that came with the amp which does describe having to unplug speakers to use the headphones - that is why I was pleasantly surprised that the switch worked. I hope it has no detrimental effect on sound quality but that will be hard to tell. It does sound very good even though it has likely not been serviced. 
    Sorry Suzy, I didn't mean to upset anyone. Oops!  
    I still wonder if it was a factory job or a mod - although leaning towards mod. 

By the way does anyone know which address came first?
    Canvey Island, as on the instruction sheet or Laindon, as on the back of the amp?

• Hi SamS,

Some were customized on request so this may have been one of those.

Enjoy

Best Col
  • This one is a Version 5 without MC input on Phono.

I may have in my box of goodies a few PCB's to convert it to MC I will check.
  • Hi Sam

Welcome to Chews.

This has become the home from home of Colin Wonfor ;-) In fact, I'm surprised he's not dropped by yet. He's probably stuck on the M27 or the M25, which seem to be his favourite car parks.

Tell us about the rest of your gear...

Dave
    No now day I am stuck under ground on the tube, I hate them and the escalators are not fun with a walking stick.
    God I a can;t wait for my antigravity machine to be fixed.
  • Colin 

Thanks so much for chiming in, and the clarification. Good to know that the mod may have been a factory customization - it certainly looks professionally done.
    Anything from your Claymore 'box of goodies' would be hugely appreciated. (I think Suzy would also like a switch if you have one knocking about ;) )

Many thanks
    Sam
  • Well I'm glad that's sorted. :-)

On a personal note...Looks like i was half right/wrong*.

*delete accordingly (that is according to whether or not your Suzy).