Building Colin's SECA kit

Comments

• Cheers :)

A little easier to put together then the stereo amp, as a bit more space !
  • Talk me through this Paul, is the right amp a dual mono original build from a couple of months ago and the left and one of two mono blocks?
  • Spot on Mr James.

Should be up and running by the weekend, but the other channel will be a few weeks yet.
  • On quickies advice I've got some 10mm aluminium bar coming so should be able to complete my build soon. Getting impatient seeing all these finished projects! I'll try and get some piccies up once it's done.
  • Good man )
  • Thanks for the help :)
  • Don't go mad when you tighten the bolts up on the bar, as easy to over do it with the bigger M4's

Spec for TO-247's is 1.1 nm (yes i'm anal and use a torque wrench)

• "i'm anal and use a torque wrench"

• When I was at a youth club a few week ago OK years ago we had a visit to Amsterdam and the girls walked through our dormitory  like that but I was reading Wireless World and missed it every day (yer right phew) into the shower and out. And before breakfast.
  • Hahaha Morning Glory!
  • I have costed up the build for the PSU PCB's at £95.00 each + PP the max current is 6A with current fold back, this will charge the caps much slower and reduce the thump on most amps have in this style of design, the soft anti thump relay is now removed reducing costs and sounding better.
    As you may be aware this PCB has SMD parts OK 1206 SMD parts and I felt it may be to hard for some folk, but I am happy to say those who have made it did a great job well done there is more projects soon.
    Some with smaller SMD parts and some leaded beasties. have fun.

;;)
  • Thanks Colin, I'm starting my build this week.
    Is the Bom still the same, I understand you are using new fets, do you have a link to these? Cheers matey.
  • I do and will send it just a mo the ON OFF rate here is sloooow.
  • I've got the pcbs and fets mounted to the heatsinks now. Just need to wire them up and set the current etc. sorry for all the questions but could someone remind me of the power connections to the amp boards. The wires are yello, orange, red and black.

Many thanks, Si
  • edited September 2015
    Si,

Are these wires from the Transformer?

If so on the side of the Transformer it tell you what the colour mine, please tell me that info please as all transformers are not the same.

Thank Col
  • If there Noratel transformers, then the order you have listed is correct, from either end of connector.

• Coolin, do you have a part No. For the new fets?
    Cheers
  • IRFP4368PBF
  • Have you killed one?

• Hi those colours are from the transformers on the BOM. The transformer shows yellow 17.5v orange 0v and red 17.5 black 0v but being ac I wasn't sure what to make of that. Presumably the two 17.5v go to the ac connections and the 0v go to the two 0v connections on the board, but I thought it was safer to check.

Cheers, Si
  • Not killed one, my enquiry was........
    On the original bom you listed some fets, a few months later you said you found some better fets that were a bit more expensive but sound better, sooooooo, the link above is that for the better more expensive fets? Comprende
  • Nope, see my reply above

They need to be connected in series, so your orange/red become the centre tap (0v)

The other ends (yellow/black) go to AC.

• Thanks quickie. It makes sense now te. the centre tap.
  • James what amp KIT or the bigun, the bigun has had them changed I did that after the PCB was here.
    If Kit then BOM had been updated.

• edited September 2015
    Colin I'm glad you didn't answer in Mexican as I wouldn't have understood it.  ;))
    Can you send me the most up to date BOM for the little amp, cheers!

• OK will do the Amp and the PSU both on there way.
  • Got them, thanks !
  • They look nice
  • Not to bad waiting for connectors from FEC so slow these days.
  • They look gorgeous Colin! Top work mate.
    ^:)^
  • Thanks Colin that pic is useful. My slow functioning brain had not twigged that the power supply boards also need to use heatsinks. I'm wondering now if the heatsinks in my case (same as Ben's) are up to task of dissipating the heat from one amp and one PSU board per side? Ben has the amp board's aluminium plate spanning both heatsinks. What I could do is run a larger piece of aluminium plate (full length of heatsinks for example), and then mount the amp and PSU boards onto it. Would that work?
  • Here's a pic of the layout I wouldlike to use Colin:

https://flic.kr/p/y1PQn5

The amp board is still spanning both heatsinks, but obviously PSU is sharing one of the heatsinks.
  • That is the best way shame you photo was not display using Photobucket.
  • The button I normally press to embed a pic doesn't work on my iPad - ditto all buttons on the formatting bar.
  • That's what I found. If I want to upload pictures to Chews it has to be done from my desktop which is a shame
  • Same here. I hadn't noticed that.

I haven't the foggiest why, TBH.
  • No window to the real world just apples and cider, shame.
  • It's alive! I now have sounds from both channels. Only through some old speakers and via an iPhone at the moment whilst I wait for a preamp to arrive. Many thanks to Col for the design, and everyone else for their help. I'll add some photos when I can get to my PC.
  • Great news Si. I'm starting my build tonight. Looking forward to pics of your amps. Are you using the PSU boards as well?
  • I have the PSU boards too but they're not fully built yet So thought I'd run without them for a while and see what they add when I fit them. Good luck with your build do you have psu boards too?
  • Well done Simon Brillant  :D
  • Yes, I have PSU boards as well. I'm going to tackle those tonight and get SMD parts soldered on first.
  • edited September 2015
    A few pics of my build. Hopefully there's room in there to add the dynamic PSU board once they're fully populated.

http://image

They're a bit fuzzy as they're from my phone. Thanks to all for your help. Will update when the PSUs are ready.

Cheers, Si
  • WOW, that looks very neat, which cable have you used for output and speakers Simon?
  • I used Klotz MC5000 for signal wiring and some old chord silver screen speaker cable i had lying around for speaker outputs.