Bees!

edited February 2011 in Amplifiers
I got some buzz/hum through my speakers, not intrusive, but not 'in the background enough' to ignore as I turn up to decent listening volumes. It could be a ground loop I suppose, but not having an analogue front end I have no experience of this.

I can attenuate the hum with the pre-amp, so it's not the I/C I fixed (betwixt the pre & power amp) or the Pre-amp itself. It is there whichever source I select. The rest of the system is powered down, the only thing on is the Beresford DAC.

My two sources are Young DAC and Beresford DAC (on TV duty until the Young is revised). The Beresford also has a home repaired I/C, but the hum is from both channels so I doubt that is the issue. However, if I switch off the Beresford & unplug, the hum goes altogether. I have relocated it's in line switched mode PSU but that hasn't helped. The TV connects to the Beresford by optical cable.

I said the Beresford had a repaired I/C and I didn't think that was the problem as the hum is from both channels, however.....inside EVA (pre-amp), where the inputs connect to the gubbins inside the pre-amp, the 'tab' from each RCA socket is joined together, so a fault with one cable might affect both sides.

What say you, learned friends?

(Talk to you tonight)

Comments

• :bz :bz :bz :bz
  • Each side of your signal input should effectively share the same earth/ground, so having the outer wires connected to each other at the pre-amp is standard. if however your case work is somehow live then that could be the source- but you'd know that when you tried moving the box-ZAP.

When you say repaired IC do you mean integrated circuit or interconnect?
  • It was the interconnect - sorry, you're dealing with a rank amateur here!

When I soldered it up, it was the the connection to the barrel of the plug - not the centre pin that required attention. I only use it for TV duties & for testing other stuff, so I didn't even cut it & give it a fresh end. I suspect my sloppiness may the cause here...
  • T'was that dodgy interconnect BTW - all fixed now. I thought I should update you all in case you were worrying....

Now the new Young is in I took the Caiman DAC out & stuck it in the office system, where it seems quite happy. Maybe no-body will notice I haven't sold it on.....