November Bake-off

Comments

• cj66,
    Yes. There are a few tractor-drivers on this 'ere bored...
    I live in Glawster. Paul (PAC) lives down the road near Dursley, Paul (Quickie) in Devon, Suzy's up in Worcester...
    There may be others.
    (Col' would like to live down here in the SW for a reunion with his heart, but he's stuck up in the Big Smoke... ;-) )
  • Hi Col. I'll PM you with address.  Kick off is around 10am and we'll aim to keep going until 4pm with a break for lunch but the family will want the room back after 4 (selfish, I know...long range forecast says they wont get too wet left outside for a bit).  Parking is available if limited.  I will have two spaces on my drive and a further one or two nearby.  Lunch may involve something very hot and spicy as our chilli harvest was epic this year!
  • PACPAC
    edited October 2015
    cj66,
    Yes. There are a few tractor-drivers on this 'ere bored...
    I live in Glawster. Paul (PAC) lives down the road near Dursley, Paul (Quickie) in Devon, Suzy's up in Worcester...
    There may be others.
    (Col' would like to live down here in the SW for a reunion with his heart, but he's stuck up in the Big Smoke...  )

That be right Ben but uz Durzle folk are more the combine 'arvester owner type an' consider Glawsters more your tract'er aspiring turnip eatin' folk; no 'fence I'm sure as I know you like a turnip. X_X
  • Well, at least we give you Durzles something to aspire to...
    @-)
  • Ahw, all washed down with some local zider, Sheppy's maybe...
  • Zider is wot Summerzettians imbibes.  We drinks Glawstersher srumpy 'ere, usually followed by parrots eat 'em all next day.  Puts hair on the chest, and that's just the women-folk.
  • Aye laad, none o' yer grockle starf, zider be proper job, a gurt un. Spec yer scrumpy 'ave zame 'fect mind!
  • PACPAC
    edited November 2015
    Ok

confirmed for the bake-off are:

David
    Col
    Suzy
    James
    Plus one AoS member

Sorry not to be seeing Ben and Sov this time round.

I was hoping that I'd have completed some huge Tannoy driven creations being built for another customer to add to the demo, but sadly, they're at least a few weeks of anywhere nearing completion.

Catering:  Pizzas, salads, cakes, coffee, tea all provided but if you have any special dietary needs, now's the time to contact me and let me know.

Parking:  I'll vacate the drive-way to make room for 3 cars plus there's roadside parking available.

Please PM me if you need my contact Nr in case you get lost as satnav's tend to direct you towards an adjoining street sometimes!
  • Thanks for that Paul.

I'm looking forward to it. Shame the speakers won't be ready as I liked your previous Tannoy-driven creations.
  • Sorry Paul, I got blood poisoning again and will not be able to get to you, bloody shame.

• Really sorry to hear that Col, hope you get better soon!
  • I demand photos and full write-ups.
  • It depends who's left...they're dropping like flies!  I do have one space that can be filled now if there are any other regulars here who want to pop over

• Looks like I'm the only SECA representative again.

Was hoping to compare and contrast.

Which leads me to 'Have we got enough gear to bake-off?'
  • I should think so Dave as last time we only managed to play around with two amps and a couple of DACs.  We have more to play with this time.  I have my set up, you have the SECA, James will be bringing some kit as will Al (AoS), and presumably Suzi?  There may be others in attendence on the day as I'm waiting for confirmation from one other too.  You never know, Col may be feeling better by next week!
  • "Looks like I'm the only SECA representative again. 

Was hoping to compare and contrast.

Which leads me to 'Have we got enough gear to bake-off?'"

Dave if you are going by you could take the Thunderbird 5 Look a Like I have here with you.
    Now for a cold shower to lower my temp.

• @PAC That's great news. I thought we may be getting like one amp, a couple of DACs and a pair of speakers. Silly me!

@AntiCrap Would love to relieve you of the Thunderbird 5 lookalike, but shan't be going your way :-( Besides, I don't want to be dissatisfied. with Yin and Yang ;-)
  • Oh...forgot to mention, we'll need a pre if using other power amps as mine's now an integrated beasty.
  • I could bring my TQ Listen
  • edited November 2015
    Great news you'll be attending Col. :-)

Not sure what Suzy will take. I hope her Claymore, as it would be interesting to read how this compares to the more modern amps at the meet'.
    Also, it's an amp that's visited Paul's house before. But promptly broke. (Now mended / modded.)

BTW i have the world's most basic / shittest preamp (a cheapo stereo attenuator in a plastic match box) for when I plug my Sky box (no digital volume via the RCAs) into the TOCA for sports...

Happy to send it to Paul's to go up against the big boys!
  • I think that Col was saying that he couldn't go through illness Ben but that Dave could swing by and collect "T Bird 5"!

I may (just may!) have an exciting new preamp (prototype model) from another manufacturer, plus the designer here on the day all being well.
  • Oh yes. I seem to have had one of my brain-farts when reading that post... Thanks for the correction Paul.
    Sorry for the confusion.
  • Let me know nearer the day if I should bring the Listen, Paul.
  • PACPAC
    edited November 2015
    OK...we're back up to strength and will have the following kit (including my own):

TT's:  Garrard 401/michell Gyro SE
    Photostage:Hagerman Bugle; Hagerman Cornet II
    Carts:  Zyx R50-Bloom;  Nagoaka MP-500
    Amps:  Emille Ki-40L;  Radford STA25;  Radford prototype hybrid pre-amp; Dave's SECA
    Digital: Rega Apollo-R plus whatever DACs are brought;
    Speakers:  Verity Audio Rienzi Floorstanders;  RFC reference Raptors
    Interconnect Cables: RFC Pluto/RFC Mercury
    Speaker cable:  Whatever is lying around on the day!
    Music:  Lots of.

DACs will need to have SPDIF inputs to work with the Apollo if we use that as a transport.

Confirmed:  Myself (obviously!), David, James, Suzy, Al, Will (Radfords) and maybe one other (Andy)

So, 6 or 7 people, lots of kit, lots of cake, lots of music...what more could you want?  (don't answer that as I probably haven;t got it anyway)
  • OK. You lot play with the kit. I'll eat the cake ;-)
  • I'll bring my Raspberry Pi and some music files, if I may.
  • That's fine Dave...although my speakers have a new auto feature in the crossovers which effectively filters out contemporary Jazz!  :D
  • I'll test it to breaking point!!!
  • I'll bring my Audio Noto Oto amp along and maybe a pimped out DDDAC but that depends on whether certain parts arrive in time. Looking forward to it.
  • I'd like to hear the H2's again James but wouldn't want the hernia which goes with moving them around!
  • So how did it go?
  • We wont know until this coming Saturday Col!

Are you well enough to attend or still poorly?
  • IT'S ALIVE SORRY GEOFF So yes with luck.
  • PACPAC
    edited November 2015
    We now have the following confirmations:

Colin;
    Suzy;
    James;
    Allen (Audio Al);
    Radford Revival (Will Moores);
    Possibly Dave?
    Myself

There'll be the new prototype Radford Preamp, an STA25, and Emille Ki40L, Col's SECA amps (hopefully!), James's OTO, several DACa and an Apollo-R CDP, my speakers plus some Verity Audio ones, several TT's, two phonostages (DIY)

Anyone still needing directions or postcode etc, please drop me a PM. I'll respond by early evening as out shortly.
  • Sorry everyone. I won't be able to make it.

As I've already told Paul and Ben, I've aggravated an old Achilles tendon injury and I'm concerned that the drive may make it worse, or I may find that I can't drive back!

It's a real shame. I've been looking forward to the bake-off for months now, and particularly for meeting James and Suzy.

So it goes.

Have a great time, all.
  • Ditto Paul, I have to go back to the dreaded quack in the hospital AGAIN s---t I hate this at the moment, wish it all would stop.
  • Hope you feel better soon Colin.
  • Sorry to hear you wont be making it, so we're down to Will, Suzy, James and Allen now.  Not to worry, it'll still be a great day!  Hope you both get better soon.
  • Thanks Paul.
  • Hope you feel better soon guys.

I would have been up for this, but my stupid car has thrown yet another hissy fit !
  • Get well soon Colin and Dave.

See you tomorrow Paul.
  • Looking forward to it James.  A spare place if anyone else wants to join us!
  • Thanks Paul (quickie) and James.
  • Have a great day peeps.
    Looking forward to write-ups!
  • PACPAC
    edited November 2015
    Some photos from today's bake-off:

Before the event when the room still looked like it hadn't been nuked!

Emille Ki-40L:

Brumjam (James's) Audionote OTO SE sounding very nice into the Raptors with the Apollo-R as a source

Radford Revival's Prototype pre-amp driving a restored STA 25 sounded fantastic.   Great clarity and grip:

Will from Radford Revival demonstrating how an STA25 sounds better when turned upside down with the bottom cover removed ;)

Close up detailing the neatness of Will's fine work:

Teacher of the art of "daft pishanto", grand master Audio Al, demonstrates the correct way to listen to anything that isn't Dire Straits :D

Raptors doing what Raptors do:

Brumjam's (James's) AN OTO SE sounding very fine with the Apollo-R as a source:

A very enjoyable day in very agreeable company.  Thanks to all who turned up.
  • It was, indeed, a great day  :)

Firstly, thank you so so much to Paul for being such a superb host and making us all feel so welcome. The ritualistic eating of a slice of raw naga chili on arrival was a great way of creating a group dynamic (I arrived late. I'm assuming everyone else went through this on arrival ?
    8-|  )

Secondly, thank you to both Paul and Will for continually reassuring me "there's no such thing as a silly question", and heroically attempting to communicate sophisticated electronics in single syllable words and basic sign language. I come away a fraction wiser on the technical front, but massively proud to be part of a species that has members in it with so much knowledge and competence. Something about that makes me really content.

And so to some of the ingredients. I really enjoyed hearing the STA25. It produced a wonderful crispness, (to my ears at least) a satisfying discreteness / spaciousness, without losing the warmth (tonal that is. No class A gag intended!). The clarity of the depth in the soundstage was particularly pleasing. Hopefully Paul will upload a piccie, as the care and thought that Will has put into the resoration was wonderfully evident.
    But it was not to the STA25 that I lost my heart today. That went to Paul's Michell Gyro SE, which pressed every button for me. Aesthetically mesmerising, and beautifully clear reproduction. Just lovely.

As to the toonz: there is such a joy at hearing familiar music through different amps. So much new to discover each time. And on the "new to me" front, I was enjoying the Oscar Peterson Trio a lot, and felt *my* (sic, Docfoster) Claymore did them fair justice on the day. Fat Freddy's Drop also going on the xmas list. Just under Michell Gyro SE !

It was such an enjoyable, fun, informative day for me. I'd definitely be up for another in the future. Especially if there's more homemade chilli sauce (i suspect there will be!). And thank goodness that, with all those precious amps in the house, the only thing we managed to short out was the coffee machine!

:))
  • oh, and I should add: my greatest thanks, perhaps, should go to Paul. For relieving me of my habitual sense of shame when I abandon LP sleeves on the top of my speakers! I am assured, sound quality damage is minimal. Trust me, he has the gadget to prove it ;-) 
  • Great to meet you H, and glad you enjoyed the day!  Yes, errrrmm, of course, we all had a slice of Naga as an initiation, honest  :D

Was hoping no one would remember that I shorted out the downstairs ring circuit by sitting the coffee machine in a pool of water 
    :\">

There's a piccie of the STA 25 with the cover removed above showing Will's work, which as always is excellent.

As mentioned, you are welcome to take the Gyro away IF you can lift it on the little plinth I have it on 
    ;)

Oscar Peterson was good, and I'll be looking out for that album too.

Shame we couldn't get to listen to "Greta's" lovely turntable, but alas the tonearm was Kaput!
  • edited November 2015
    Damn you all.
    Looks like a great day. :)
    Damn shame also that I missed that chance to compare Class As...!
    Sorry to have missed the chillis as well...
    :((
    Nice pics Paul, thanks.
    Lovely write up Suzy. Cheers. Chuffed to see the old Claymore in pic 3rd from bottom. Good to read she didn't disgrace herself in such illustrious company (the amp, not Suzy).
    =D>
  • Really glad it went well! Shame I couldn't bring my Mother SECA I'm sure we can do it again sometime