Incatech claymore

edited September 2015 in Amplifiers
I've  been offered an Incatech Claymore its just been serviced new caps, But what i want know is what speakers can i run on it? I like to listen to mainly 70's Rock,prog rock,but i want speakers that can play large scale and loud,so any recommendations for this amp please,preferably floorstanders. Cheers

Comments

• Go for it there a fantastic little amp. And I find they can drive most speakers well.
  • If you want to keep it budget some old TDL RTL3 would be excellent value or maybe something from Castle like the Severn2, they both go very cheaply.
  • The TDL I haven't heard, but I owned the Castle Severn 2 for a couple of years. They look nice and are really beautifully built. They sound good with female vocal & small scale jazz etc, think Norah Jones & Diana Krall and I preferred them to budget B&W speakers (603 etc). Problem is they really don't cope with complicated music, be it rock or jazz, or even large orchestral. Speed + complexity and the sound just turns to mush, sadly.

I heard them demoed next to someone's Rega Ela (when I was selling an amp) and the Regas walked all over the Castles.Which led naturally to Royd (who developed the Ela).

I'd recommend some Royd Minstrels, they're only going to rise in value. Or, Ruark Sabre, which is the speaker Colin voiced this amplifier on. Both sound wonderful.
  • Royd Minstrels! Now that's a great idea, Alan. I used them for years on the end of loads of different amps, including some very expensive ones (no names because they don't deserve the publicity).

Absolutely the Dog's Bollox for not a lot of notes if you like the Royd sound.
  • edited September 2015
    The Royds are a sensible suggestion on the proviso " if you like the Royd sound". So get a listen before buying.

@Alan, I'm surprised by your comments on the Severn 2, not something I've heard levelled at them before. Sometimes  slightly shouty HF unit or marginally slow in the bass yes. Anyway we all have our own tastes to cater to e.g. I always found the Royds a little bass shy for a floor stander and a tad too strident but that's me. They do, however, have other strengths and I can see why many people love them.

The Ruark Sabres (stand mount) are nice, especially if you can find a MKIII, the same goes for the Talisman MKIII (floor stander).
  • Get the speakers built in the 1970s with the biggest drivers that you can afford and accomodate.
    Simples.
  • So says Mr Sound System :-)
  • I've noticed some these amps have mc after the serial number,whats the difference between these and amps that dont mc after serial number?
  • Moving Coil?
  • That's what i thought but both come with moving coil
  • Hmm.

Col????
  • Made (by) Colin rather than a hired bench worker? ;)
  • Dan the MC after the serial numbers was the early type with MC pre-amp added PCB about the size of a stamp, there will be two, and wit the knob facing you they will be in the back right hand side.
    The early Claymore had no MC as MC cartridges cost loads and loads
    Version Iss 2 on to Iss 6 all have MC built in the circuit are on Chews somewhere.
    Also the older type used a CMOS selector switch but is was found to overload according to Martin Columns far to early at 7V PK-PK so this was removed and a standard switch was used.
    A version iss 6 is what you need.
    Iss 1 als had H-PAK FET,s and not TO3P style FET,s neither of which are standard pin configuration, so I did a PCB to allow new FET,s with the correct pin out arrangement.

Like this.

• Oh Inca Tech had 17 lovely ladies to build Claymore's, Claymore 2,and "S" plus all the other things including flood detectors we had two guys Paul and Barry doing testing whilst I cleaned the BOG. he he
    My Dad also worked for me, doing sales and marketing he has passed away now and I miss him.

Some of you may recall him.

• I'm loving that image of an Inca Tech day! Thanks, Colin.
  • More for sale on ebay and a Tuner.

This one was made on Canvey and is a later version.

This Tuner of FMT by Inca Tech is very very rare, Quickie has one and I suspect this chap thinks is nothing unusual, and a bargain.

• That second one now has an internal shot showing it's an ISS6.

As for the tuner, shhhhhh, I've had my eye on that one :-\"

• "This Tuner of FMT by Inca Tech is very very rare, Quickie has one and I suspect this chap thinks is nothing unusual, and a bargain.

And just down the road from me. I'm itchy! 
    But CJ, if you decide to bid, let me know. If you win, I can pick it up for you if it's of any use for me to do so. 
  • The FMT looks to have been played with, The mains input lead has been changed to take a headphone collet and the TAPE out socket has to unknown socket next to it.
    I suspect this was one of the few unfinished FMT's that were stolen from Inca Tech.
  • I did notice the headphone socket arrangement and am awaiting clarification and hopefully an interior shot.

S6T thanks for the offer.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm bidding on the Turner wanted one for ages. :)
  • Well, it's looking like it's going to end up homed by a Chewie one way or the other then :-)
  • Or me, I have not got any Inca Tech kit, I think I am missing out here.
  • Cheers Col :)

• Ooooooo, there's now a chrome fronted Claymore available! If anyone fancies a rare one. There's a lot of Inca Tech appearing recently, maybe down to Colin's refreshed activity/presence? Hopefully bodes well for the new one ;) 

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Inca-Tech-Claymore-Chrome-Front-Integrated-Amplifier-with-MC-MM-phonostage-/161855753384?hash=item25af5acca8
  • Does look nice, Chris. But the seller mentioned Linn Kans in the same ad. Nooooooo!
  • Ha ha, I'm not the only one then!
  • There's a whole load of us, but we generally keep our preferences under wraps ;-)

I'd forgotten how much they irritate me until I heard a pair for the first time in decades at a few instances of a well-known show in the Midlands ago. I had to go back to the room a few times just to satisfy myself how wrong they are.

Or did you mean you're a Kan lover? 

Oh dear, what have I said? 
    :-SS

Drummed out of my own forum for being inflammatory 
    :))
  • You're safe, I'll let you stay :))

BTW, anyone here take the FMT? I opted out as the seller would not provide any further information, internal piccy, or guarantee it was cosher :(
  • Yea I brought it can't wait. :))
  • Find these Gold Claymores 6 only ever made. 

• Now there's a status symbol...
  • I'd love one col.
  • So would I the last one sold for £2500 about 10 years ago.New only £650.00
  • Really col thats alot. Is there any difference inside them and sound wise to the normal claymore. Iv never sceen a coloured claymore either.
  • Gold plated tracks on the PCB and 0.1% Resistors and 1% Capacitors loads of money to make, and just for a show in Germany.
  • edited October 2015
    "Yea I bought it can't wait."

Well done, we will of course expect a full photo shoot, plus your thoughts on its abilities.
  • Colin and Ben will no doubt be asking for, ahem, models draped over them  8-}
  • What is this, a gangster rap video...?
    Bling and "hoes" [sic]...?
    :-O
  • Just thinking of the Gadgets and Breasts thread...
  • Aha! =D>
    Keep up, keep up... Doctor Foster...! ^:)^
  • Well, you have been on the BBC recently. I understand why you're distracted. 

Bit of a change of look, though. 
    :-S
  • It is yes... ;;)
  • An improvement, I'd say ;-)
  • In what way "an improvement" Dave...?

From Docfoster Ben:

To Docfoster Suranne:

I can barely see any difference, let alone an improvement...
    :-/
  • Well, maybe not  :-\"
  • Minor changes never hurt anyone.

• Justin,

How's the FMT tuner?  Pictures of interior pretty please.

I've today noticed you run a MF FCD cd player, I used to sell that range, personally thought it was some of the best kit they ever made plus it looked really swish too. I could definitely give house room to whole stack! Although my wallet would be less willing
    :((
  •  
      Here you go.......................

imageimage
  • Hi cj66
    The fmt t is the best tuner I have ever had very clean and very very clear and picks up every station with ease. Very good vocals and miss.
    I haven't open it up yet but when I do il take some pics a try and get them up.

Yes I do have an mf fcd. Lovely looking and sounding cd player has a valve output stage.
    My dad had the full set up a while ago F22 and f25. And f15 power amp. Was very nice sounding.