An Ideal Server

edited March 2011 in Digital
How would you like your music delivered and stored and played, what would be your ideal music server, or does it already exist?
Keith.

Comments

• edited March 2011
    I've been thinking about this because it doesn't already exist, but what would I want?

I guess Mac-based, because that's what I know best - I don't what a sealed-box solution, as I want long-term flexibility.
    I'd want a low-noise PSU, separate from the main server.
    SSD or flash memory attached to the motherboard (a la MacBook Air) for system and software.
    Drobo-type simplicity for storage, but using higher capacity SSDs than we have now. 
    Lots of RAM.

No moving parts.
    Software with as swish an interface as iTunes, but customisable to reduce clutter.
    Remote control with enough screen space to fully control the server.

How's that to get us going?
  • Linux.  Plenty of file server distributions out there.  Totally customisable; strip out what you don't need, leave in what you do.  Probably the best implementation of TCP/IP there is short of the big iron stuff.  It runs on modest hardware (but more RAM is always a good idea in any computer).  Designed to run headless - control is over the network on any other device with a browser.  Stays up for ever (oooh er missus).

Oh - and it's free.
  • You make it sound good - I just wish I understood it! (in the best traditions of audiophile marketing...)
  • So easy these days.  Answer a few questions during the install and Bob's your uncle - one server 1/2 hour later.
  • But what software would you run on it?

You'd have a great server for a business, but that's just part of an audio/media server.
  • Ah you want to play the files on it?  So it's not a server then.  It's a client computer running applications.  That's my, probably old fashioned, definition.

Saying that there are plenty of media players for Linux that will play all but the most obscure files like .shn and .ape.  Flac, wav, MP3, Ogg and the Apple files are no problem.

check this for Linux distributions:

http://distrowatch.com/
  • There are many ways to resolve the storage side of things and not many factors (to my ears) in this area influence sound quality. Do I have the music in a lossless format? Yes. Can the storage device be seen across a wired/wireless network? Yes.

The key, as Ugly mentions above is which software do you use? For me the benchmark is Sonos. The interface is so intuitive and there is no lag when using iPod/iPad devices to control it. Now that I'm no longer using my Sonos for serious listening, I'm left with a major dilemma about which software to run....and to a lesser degree whether to go Mac or PC.

Despite there being a range of Mac/PC software options out there, I've yet to find anything as easy to use as the Sonos system. So far I've tried iTunes, Amarra and Audivarna on the MacBook,plus Media Monkey, Foobar and Jriver Media Centre on the PC. Although some of these come close to Sonos convenience when accessing via the PC, they all fall down when it comes to remote control on something like an iPad.

Incidentally my music is stored on a Netgear ReadyNAS running in RAID configuration. I have this in a utility room because it hums and I find it distracting when listening to music. The music reaches my PC via homeplugs. Purists baulk at the idea of sending music over the noisy mains wiring, but I've compared this to plugging the NAS direct into my PC and can hear no difference whatsoever.

A couple of years ago I looked at Windows Media Centre as a software solution for music and video replay. I might see if there is a plugin available to kernel stream as the interface is pretty slick in the latest version. No idea about what wireless device support is available though.

• Ah you want to play the files on it?  So it's not a server then.  It's a client computer running applications.  That's my, probably old fashioned, definition.

Saying that there are plenty of media players for Linux that will play all but the most obscure files like .shn and .ape.  Flac, wav, MP3, Ogg and the Apple files are no problem.

check this for Linux distributions:

http://distrowatch.com/
    Yeah. I baulked at the usage, too. But that's what the world calls these things.
  • It's all these bloody youngsters
    :-))
  • So what would be your ideal client computer running applications!
    Internal storage?
    DAC included?
    Wireless with IPad app
    Linux sounds goos, with the minimum of non necessary processes
    Modular construction,
    External power supplies?
    Keith.
  • You just described a TFS!
  • No, he just described a pc that you can build for a few hundred quid, not some car crash of plastic and PC World.
  • Mod's hat half on ;-)

Simon. You wouldn't be being rude about the TFS would you? 

Although it's not where I've put my money, the development versions sounded good, and won out at the London bake-off show last year.
  • Thread closed. Sorry folks.

Let's get on with the good stuff and forget the negative stuff!
This discussion has been closed.