Fidelia for OS X

edited March 2011 in Digital
Anyone tried it?

My first encounter this evening chimes with some of the comments over at Computer Audiophile. It's very detailed, but cold and lacking in depth of stereo image.

There are loads of options, but I can't really be bothered to go through them. So, of course, I ask if anyone has had any success and can give me some pointers to making this thing sing.

Comments

• Hi Dave

JD has just done a review on his web site downunder and found it very good, just down loading a copy myself to try out, here is a link to the review

Lee

• Thanks for that Lee

FWIW, I gave up on it. As I have with Audirvana. Now I'm streaming from a NAS rather than a Drobo, perhaps I should also try Amarra and Pure Music again, but I'm not sure I have the energy.

Only Decibel seems to be able to stand up to the scrutiny my system gives the music and still have the stuff coming out the speakers sounding like music, not digits. S***! I sound like a TT head :-)

But maybe I should give it a whirl on my office system. It may sound OK. After all, I'm using iTunes for reasons of simplicity.
  • I think Fidelia is a good player for those systems or those DACs with a bloated midrange or a bit too warm sounding.  Fidelia seems to have great detail and soundstage width, but overall I am sticking with Pure Music (hog mode and memory playback).  For me it beats all the others for musicality and convenience (i. its use of iTunes library and GUI allows Apple remote app, etc).
  • I gave it a whirl on my office system and it sounds worse than iTunes!

Ted. I think you're right about the kind of systems Fidelia is suitable for.

I'll stick to Decibel on the main system and iTunes on the office system.
  • I must confess I haven't tried Fidelia - simply not enough time! Nor did I try out Amarra when I had the chance, nor have I trialled PM. I wonder just serious I am about this hobby!

Has anyone tried an updated Audirvana recently? It's months since I last tried it.
  • Audirvana is no better than it was earlier IMO.
  • Alan, you gotta try PM, and use hog mode and memory playback.  A significant upgrade.  :)  yeah, I'm not hot on Audirvana either. 
  • I probably will Ted. A lot of people whose opinion I respect - like you - swear by it. I presume the options you mention are all available on the trial, so I'll give it a whirl some time soon. PM is also priced within my reach, which is the other reason it was on my radar.