No Hip-Hop or Country posts?

edited March 2011 in Other music
I was just thinking... Aren't they the biggest selling styles of music in the world?

Comments

• Neither get much air-play here.

Although Hip-hop country and western might be interesting ;)
  • I am a country & western snob; I like BlueGrass. Ergo, I am cool.
    L-)
  • I've got my fair share of decent hip-hop...(no, not 50 cent or Eminem...)

I like the groove and musical juxtapositions created by inventive sampling. There's a whole genre of that type of stuff without any lyrics (sometimes called 'trip-hop', and big in the mid 1990s). See 'The Wiseguys', 'Propellerheads', many outfits on the Ninjatune label, etc.,....

In addition, when hip-hop vocals are done right I think that they have great percussive qualities. The best hip-hop vocalists also inject a healthy humorous edge into their lyrics (the worst take themselves far too seriously... :-( ).

Off the top of my head, my favourite vocal hip-hop albums albums:

Caveman 'Positive Reaction' (one of the best examples of UK hip-hop, and ridiculously ahead of its time in 1991).
    Gravediggaz 'Niggamortis' (bizarre, morbid, disturbing, engaging) - 1-800 suicide is the best track on the album.
    De La Soul '3 Feet High and rising' (a classic).
    The Beastie Boys 'Paul's Boutique' (genuinely - this is an excellent album, not at all like their dreadful earlier efforts).
    DJ Format 'Music for the Mature B-boy' (flying the flag for UK hip-hop - Bristol based, I think).

Dave - you were quite right to mention these. I should be more open about my love for quality hip-hop! It's probably the single genre I listen most to...

Ben

• Go for it, Ben.

I know little about hip-hop - mainly because I see acres of crap and can't be bothered to pick out the good stuff.

It's also interesting that you put Ninjatune's output in the hip-hop camp. The stuff I knew is more drum and bass/electronica/acid jazz - I had a mate who used to use that stuff for DJing.
  • Fair play. There's are continuums. Ninjatune straddled several. At one stage they even had Afro funksters Antibalas on their books.
    Perhaps the Wall of sound label c1996 is a more clearly defined trip hop label...?
    Ben
  • I don't know the Wall of Sound label. Is there anything on Spotti?
  • Dave, just been listening to The Wiseguys 'Executive Suite' (on Wall of Sound).
    Mostly good. Here are a couple from it...

The Wiseguys – The Sound You Hear
    Sense Live – Sweet Baby Truth

There's not much more on Spotify from WOS that I could see. A bit of DJ Food, and some more ambient stuff from Akasha...

While I'm at it here are a few others that I was listening to today relevant to this thread.
    DJ Format – The Turning Point

Jurassic 5 – CONCRETE SCHOOLYARD

David Holmes – My Mate Paul
    David Holmes – Don't Die Just Yet

Ben

• Thanks Ben

I'll give 'em a go.
  • Another cool British Hip-hop track...

Roots Manuva – Clockwork
  • Like what I've heard from 'Executive Suite' so far. Very much the kind of thing I was listening to back then. Will check out the rest RSN!
  • That's good. There's some good stuff on that album (but a few less good and uglier ones too).
  • hi guys, anyone listening to the ruthless rap assassins, little known uk outfit from many years ago, ahead of thier time IMO,
    there is always Outkast if production quality is of importance to you, aquemini and idlewild are fantastic, dipping a toe into a very eclectic mix of genres ,
    been listening to a lot of the Stanley brothers and Ralph Stanley , love the mountain music, gots me a still out by the pig pen y'all,
  • Don't know rap assassins, but will check them out.
    I like outkast's sense of fun, but musically not quite my thing.
  • I remember the name (Ruthless Rap Assassins), but can't remember the music - brain cell failing again?
  • I remember the name (Ruthless Rap Assassins), but can't remember the music - brain cell failing again?
    yup, i know that feelin.
  • Don't know rap assassins, but will check them out.
    I like outkast's sense of fun, but musically not quite my thing.
    hi ben,
    yeah outkast are a bit 'popy' ,
     production wise i find all thier lps really give my systems a work out and thier use of many genres can be a tonic when listening to a lot of old clasical or jazz recordings can become a little wearing, idlewild especially is odd and all over the place but just so much fun,
    all the best,
    matt
  • For some seriously cool hip-hop try Shadowhuntaz 'Corrupt Data' and 'Vally Of The Shadow'
  • For some seriously cool hip-hop try Shadowhuntaz 'Corrupt Data' and 'Vally Of The Shadow'
    never heard of them, had a quick listen to some of corrupt data on line, fantastic !! just ordered it vinyl, nice tip man ,thanks.

;-) :-D
  • edited June 2011
    Glad you like it. Method Man is cool also... albeit more mainstream. 
  • yeah i have quite a few Wu lps, although i dont have any of methods later stuff,
    i just noticed another shadow huntaz lp called dark matter, you heard it, ?, any thoughts?
    cheers,
    matt
  • Did see Dark Matter but not heard it. Corrupt Data is special though.

• What do you guys make of Beatie Boys 'Paul's Boutique'?
  • I'm not really a Beastie Boys fan. Don't like that shouting stylie. I think snoop is legend. Even if he is getting long in the tooth. :)
  • edited June 2011
    What do you guys make of Beatie Boys 'Paul's Boutique'?
    not much of a beastie boys fan but will give 'pauls boutique ' a listen',, look out for the instrumental lp they did called ,'the mix up'' ,i really like it , its got a really nice late sixties early seventies soul ,blues thing going on and the recording is superb with a good sense of the room they are jamming in, quite addictive

• Paul's boutique isn't as shouty. Some good samples too.
    I've got a few other beastie boys albums - they're excellent for a few songs, but it's a bit in your face for everyday listening. I live their deep squelchy synth sounds - especially on the new album. Check out their new extended music vid' - cool music and amusing at the same time. Not sure why Elijah wood is playing a beastie though...

For a laugh try The Headcase lads "the butler did it". They're literally close to my musical home in south Wales. I saw them for the first time supporting black grape a few years ago, when the lead singer cane on stage my first thought was "oh no, some pissed up tramp has got in and found his way on stage. This is going to be embarrassing..."
    As it turned out it was very entertaining. :-D