The Audio Chews DIY Knowledge Base - or how to build Colin Wonfor's kits

I've been promising to bring together everything we've learned about building Colin's kits to make them easier to build.

Here's the start. In other words, it's very much a work in progress.

Can you post here if there's anything you disagree with or anything that we should add to the Knowledge Base. If it's discussion you want, please post in the Building... thread.

Comments

• This is good work, sir.
    Re. the components link (part of the "in progress" caveat), I put some effort into putting together what I'd learned... here.
  • Thanks Ben. I'll have a look at that.
  • sorry to but in but
    colin would you know where i could get the round scokets that are on the rear of isol8 mains conditioner its the mains out lets thank you
  • xtro said:
    sorry to but in but colin would you know where i could get the round scokets that are on the rear of isol8 mains conditioner its the mains out lets thank you
    Try CPC or Medlocks
  • Very Odd I replied to this yesterday before the new kitchen and minor flooding came.

Right the PCB that James uses biased up and a increase in voltage will give 50W it is in fact the original PCB which I thought I had lost the artwork for, the problem will be in the 40W version the heat sink will rise between 15 - 20C above ambient and with lovely kids about like James darling, I did not want them to get damaged,
    But by increasing the bias and voltage you will get on testing 52W and a heat sink temperature increase above ambient depending on standing and clearance between 18-25C.

So the PCB we have are the same as James but will do the job so go get them lads.

But do have fun and any problem do contact me here.
  • Good work. :-)

Except this comparison falls down as Sidious payed less heed to H&S considerations than you clearly did in this case...
  • It appears that the 33,000uf @ 35V are getting harder to find, you can replace these with 22,000uF/35V or 27,000uf/35V with no change in the sound.
  • Thanks  for the update, Col. 

I'm reminded that the Chews DIY Knowledgebase needs some TLC. 
  • YEP if do that can I have volunteer to build PCB please. So busy here with the new cables and amps phew need a hols NOW
  • You want someone to build a kit PCB? I'd do it for you, if I knew how not to burn myself with a soldering iron.
  • And I hear on hot ladies he he sorry kettle 
  • Are you talking about the 10-20W seca kit or the 40W seca kit colin ?
  • No Dave going for the big 300W monos.

• I think you should up them to 500W so you can sell them in America :-)
  • HI all, I have taken the plunge and bought this SECA kit:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?48678-FS-SECA-10w-kit

I shall need a bit of hand holding as I dimly understand that there may be a few component revisions; tweaks seem to have been talked about on here (C4?). If anyone can point me in the right direction, point me to a schematic and BOM or anything similar I would be most grateful so I can make a good job of building this intriguing amp to see what the hubbub is all about! Speakers are mostly Audio Note AN-E though a pair of Kef ref 105.1 also get used from time to time.

• Hi Jaz.
    Sounds like your poised for you journey.
    You're right I think. There's a BOM somewhere and the C4 tweak. I'll search them out for you when I get a mo...
    Also, when building mine, I felt massively supported by people here. I'd never attempted anything like it. It all came together. :-)
  • The Knowledge Base needs updating.

Perhaps we can have a look at it, Ben. I still haven't built a kit, so I need a bit of handholding in getting it moving again.
  • All good...! :-)
  • edited January 12
    James, the BOM is here. I believe it is the latest one, but if anyone knows differently, please correct me!
    There's a photo of, and some chatter about, the offending C4, and my hamfisted (but effective) removal of it in my build thread here. (I took the easier ready-build boards option.) In the first post of my build thread there's also some links to where I sourced some of the kit (case, toroids, etc.,...) if that's helpful to you.
  • Docfoster said:
    All good...! :-)
    Thank you! I'll have a look at what we have and perhaps we can have a chat.
  • Hi guys,
    Thanks for the encouragement! I am a decent enough solder monkey but building sand amps and testing blind is beyond my pay grade :)
    James's kit has not arrived, he's been most helpful as well. I shall have a look at the heatsinks and ask for advice on casework once I have my paws on them.
    I feel much encouraged, I can't wait to see what Colin's design can achieve in my setup.
  • I believe James has my amp boards. When you chaps talk about the C4 upgrade, is this the same as the bootstrap upgrade?
  • sovereign said:

When you chaps talk about the C4 upgrade, is this the same as the bootstrap upgrade?

No idea.
    The "C4 upgrade" as I understand it is not so much an upgrade as hacking out the little bugger.

• What's the bootstrap that Colin talks about ? Or is he hinting that he needs some new shoes ?
  • edited January 17
    He has soled out :-D
  • Umm, is 'hacking out the little bugger' regarded as a safe improvement or a dodge mod?

• Jazid said:
    Umm, is 'hacking out the little bugger' regarded as a safe improvement or a dodge mod?
    It was an improvement generally recommended by the amp's designer Colin Wonfor, shortly after I completed my build.
    So yes, I think that it can be assumed that it is safe.
    Removing C4 certainly further improved the sound of the amp to my ears.
    As mentioned above, you can view a the relevant posts about it (including some contributions from Colin) by clicking here.