• edited August 2016

by yer.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

I thought I knew this album, but I don't. It's fantastic!

Do you know it, Ben?
    No Dave. Though their name rings a bell.
    I'll give it a listen later. Thanks.
    As much as Gil Scott-Heron is one of my all-time music idols, and has been called 'the father of rap', I think The Last Poets are really the godfathers. On this album, their usual sparse and somewhat rough backing is replaced by a more conventional band with Bernard Purdie on drums. The music actually adds to the Poets, rather than diluting what they do IMHO.
    Wasn't surprised to see Gil mentioned in your post. He came to mind when I listened to this. I don't know about the histoical sequence though, and will bow to your greater knowledge in terms of where The Poets and Gil fall in the overall story.
    Reading your other comments confirms that my ears are less hard-working than yours. I found the album interesting as a one off listen, but simply too musically challenging for me in terms of how free form it sounded overall. I'm very aware that your tastes are very much in line with that though, and I took vicarious pleasure from imagining your enjoying it more wholeheartedly! :-)
    Gil and The Poets both came up at the same time in the late 60s, but Gil went on longer and made far more albums.

Have another listen, and I'm sure you'll hear the sheer funkiness in the backing. Bernard Purdie isn't a free drummer of any form. Listen to the drum set and you should be there. 
    You overestimate my musical resilience!
    I don't think so ;-)
  • Miles Davis - ESP
  • edited August 2016
    Fleetwood Mac "Over and Over" from the 'Tusk' album (1979)
    I should return this LP to my Dad, but I love the way this track gently builds at the end. :-)

• Docfoster said:
    Fleetwood Mac "Over and Over" from the 'Tusk' album (1979)
    I should return this LP to my Dad, but I love the way this track gently builds at the end. :-)

Thanks, Doc. Inspiring me to give this a spin this evening.
    At the mo, Until The End of the World - Various. There are a few film sound tracks that are firmly part of my most listened to tunes. This and Passion for sure. And, whilst I can live without The Last Temptation of Christ, Wenders' Until the End of the World is in my top 10 fave films too. People addicted to their own dreams? Hell yeah!!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Miles Davis - ESP
    Very nice. Do you have Nefertiti as well?
  • uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Miles Davis - ESP
    No,only this and Kind of Blue. Should I hang my head in shame?
    I really like Agitation on ESP. It captures so perfectly a feeling I am very familiar with! Fortunately it helps give me a sense of humour about by neuroticism rather than sending my into further spirals of it :-D

Right now: John Coltrane "Giant Steps" c/o Doc's lp loans. Ta Doc !
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Thanks, Doc. Inspiring me to give this a spin this evening.
    At the mo, Until The End of the World - Various. There are a few film sound tracks that are firmly part of my most listened to tunes. This and Passion for sure. And, whilst I can live without The Last Temptation of Christ, Wenders' Until the End of the World is in my top 10 fave films too. People addicted to their own dreams? Hell yeah!!
    Wikipaedia has had to come to my aid here.
    The soundtrack looks quite interesting, and congruent with what I know about one area of your tastes.
    The plot of the film looks way to complicated for me (doesn't take much). Again, congruent with what I know about your tastes!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Miles Davis - ESP
    No,only this and Kind of Blue. Should I hang my head in shame?
    I really like Agitation on ESP. It captures so perfectly a feeling I am very familiar with! Fortunately it helps give me a sense of humour about by neuroticism rather than sending my into further spirals of it :-D

Right now: John Coltrane "Giant Steps" c/o Doc's lp loans. Ta Doc !
    No hanging your head in shame. Nefertiti is another album from this period.

Agitation is some track!

Giant Steps is fantastic, one of my four essential Coltrane albums - Giant Steps, Africa/Brass, A Love Supreme and Interstellar Space if you're interested.
  • Giant Steps new to me today. And have been enjoying muchly.
    Will look out Nefertiti. Thanks. Always interested, Dave. Sometimes confused and overwhelmed, but always interested
  • "The soundtrack looks quite interesting, and congruent with what I know about one area of your tastes.
    The plot of the film looks way to complicated for me (doesn't take much). Again, congruent with what I know about your tastes!"

Lovin' that "quite" Doc!! Speaks volumes! I should point out that I overlook the U2 and REM efforts.
    As for the film, maybe think of it more as 3 tenuously connected consecutive films rather than 1 complicated one.
  • edited August 2016
    Suzy6toes said:
    "Lovin' that "quite" Doc!! Speaks volumes!"
    I wanted you to understand it to mean "I know some of those bands, but not well enough to have formed a strong opinion of them, although I am hopeful that I might like them". (I would have thought that it was obvious that that was what I meant... ;-p )
    Suzy6toes said:
    "As for the film, maybe think of it more as 3 tenuously connected consecutive films rather than 1 complicated one."
    Is that easier to follow or more difficult? (My comprehension needs make it difficult for me to follow one film consecutively.)
  • edited August 2016
    Destiny's Child "Bug a boo" linky

• Suzy6toes said:
    Giant Steps new to me today. And have been enjoying muchly. Will look out Nefertiti. Thanks. Always interested, Dave. Sometimes confused and overwhelmed, but always interested
    You have taste! Incidentally, Giant Steps is one of the great '1959' albums - do you know the idea that 1959 was THE year for jazz? 

This is a documentary that takes a narrower view of just four albums from the year:

• The Red Hot Chilli Peppers from Leeds/Reading on BBC iPlayer.

Pretty damn good, I'd say.

• Nice (synth) flute solo...

I believe that this album (Bobby Konders Projet "Cool, Calm and Collective") is unavailable on CD or any digital platform (other than Youtube rips of the vinyl). Lucky I've found it in my loft-reclaimed vinyl then... :-)
  • edited August 2016
    Had a long conversation with an old collage friend, talking about all the mad stuff we got up to back then and the views we held back then. Although not penned long after our youth the following came on (which I like anyway) and seemed to fit the convesation.

Played the album today.
  • uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Giant Steps new to me today. And have been enjoying muchly. Will look out Nefertiti. Thanks. Always interested, Dave. Sometimes confused and overwhelmed, but always interested
    You have taste! Incidentally, Giant Steps is one of the great '1959' albums - do you know the idea that 1959 was THE year for jazz? 

This is a documentary that takes a narrower view of just four albums from the year:

Well, maybe. Or perhaps the 2nd best thing: hanging out with those who do :-D
    Thanks for the linky. Really enjoyed watching that. ANd not just for the completely genuine uses of "groovy", "out there", "far out" and "dude" !! I didnt have any knowledge before of the personalities, outside the character of the music. The historical and political contexts were interesting too. And Im left thinking about an image of Brubeck being asked to get into the boot of Madame Gunderlac's car to get through East Germany!!
    Also found myself spontaneously grinning at a snippet of Bill Evans's wonderfully gentle touch. SIgh.
  • Docfoster said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    "Lovin' that "quite" Doc!! Speaks volumes!"
    I wanted you to understand it to mean "I know some of those bands, but not well enough to have formed a strong opinion of them, although I am hopeful that I might like them". (I would have thought that it was obvious that that was what I meant... ;-p )

>:)

• Docfoster said:

Nice (synth) flute solo...

I believe that this album (Bobby Konders Projet "Cool, Calm and Collective") is unavailable on CD or any digital platform (other than Youtube rips of the vinyl). Lucky I've found it in my loft-reclaimed vinyl then... :-)
    nice re-discovery. 
  • Suzy6toes said:
    uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:

Well, maybe. Or perhaps the 2nd best thing: hanging out with those who do :-D
    Thanks for the linky. Really enjoyed watching that. ANd not just for the completely genuine uses of "groovy", "out there", "far out" and "dude" !! I didnt have any knowledge before of the personalities, outside the character of the music. The historical and political contexts were interesting too. And Im left thinking about an image of Brubeck being asked to get into the boot of Madame Gunderlac's car to get through East Germany!!
    Also found myself spontaneously grinning at a snippet of Bill Evans's wonderfully gentle touch. SIgh.
    I have very little taste in music, as nearly everyone tells me.

But I do get just bit evangelistic to anyone who shows even a little interest in jazz from roughly the mid-50s onwards, as you've probably noticed ;-)

You've made me want to watch the documentary again. Any programme with both Charles Mingus and Ornette Coleman has to be worth watching again!
  • Docfoster said:

OK. You win the 'Obscurity of the Day' Award, Doc.

WTH is that?
  • uglymusic said:

Docfoster said:

OK. You win the 'Obscurity of the Day' Award, Doc.

WTH is that?

The trophy looks nice Dave, but is infused with your smell after spending everyday for the past 7 years in your pocket... ;-)

The tune is a bit unconventional I suppose. A mix of early 90s electro, ambient and acid jazz that appeals perfectly to me, but probably repulses everyone else. :-D I probably bought it in Spillers records in Cardiff in 1992. Gave it a good clean this morning and it plays beautifully.
  • edited September 2016
    A more approriate tune to sum up the back to school malaise I have not heard...

• Having a Meat Beat Manifesto binge this morning. Started with Peel Sessions, then Actual Sound & Voices, now Transmission. Had forgotten how much I enjoy the first track on this album. Just nearly threw up with excitement at hearing it. Seriously! Is that normal??
  • Suzy6toes said:

Having a Meat Beat Manifesto binge this morning. Started with Peel Sessions, then Actual Sound & Voices, now Transmission. Had forgotten how much I enjoy the first track on this album. Just nearly threw up with excitement at hearing it. Seriously! Is that normal??

Yes. Quite normal. All of my best listening sessions end ankle deep in sick.
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Having a Meat Beat Manifesto binge this morning. Started with Peel Sessions, then Actual Sound & Voices, now Transmission. Had forgotten how much I enjoy the first track on this album. Just nearly threw up with excitement at hearing it. Seriously! Is that normal??
    Is that anything to do with the Bashing The Bishop White Paper?  :-B
  • Ew! Uglyyyy!!
  • Silent Poets - Firm Roots Remixes
  • Was:

Stevie Winwood - Back in the High Life

Now:

Weather Report - Sweetnighter

• Rae & Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul

Before that: Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree. Saw "Once More With Feeling" Thursday night. I'm not sure "enjoy" is the term for watching something so harrowing. But definitely highly affecting for the most part (except for the end, strangely).  If, like me, you enjoy self-indulgent existential agony, I recommend. Tho having a trained counsellor sitting next to you for the duration is probably advisable.
  • Billy Bang - Vietnam: The Aftermath

I've loved ever it since it came out. 
  • ^^^^^
    Never heard of that one! Investigations are in full swing.
  • I hope you like it Chris.
  • edited September 2016
    As I'm sure you gathered by now I'm not a lover of straight jazz and less so free jazz buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

After a couple of dodgy first minutes of your highlighted track OMG! I really liked it.

Played through the entire album on Spotify, absolutely love his fiddle playing (as I would clasify it as apposed to violin) and the subtle asian inflections scattered throughout. As an album it is far more cohesive and explosive than I expected from a "free jazz" musician (although there are a few "too free for my taste" moments but always pulls back before I lose interest. The only track I would skip would be TET Offensive). In my book free jazz could be a misnomer here. Jazz/blues/other maybe if you want a pigeon hole.

Great recommendation Dave, yo disfruté mucho.
  • I'm really glad you like it. 

I know what you mean about Tet Offensive, but there you are, it is about a battle! The musicians are all some degree of free jazzers, but I think they generally play within a very defined view of what the music is. I love the eastern-flavoured percussion, in particular.

Bang, himself, was often said to be steeped in the blues, and I'm guessing that's what you're picking up on. 

This album was supposed to be the first part of a trilogy. The second, Vietnam Reflections came out in 2005, but the final part never appeared. I've read reviews that say the second album us superior. But not to my ears!
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Rae & Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul

Before that: Nick Cave - Skeleton Tree. Saw "Once More With Feeling" Thursday night. I'm not sure "enjoy" is the term for watching something so harrowing. But definitely highly affecting for the most part (except for the end, strangely).  If, like me, you enjoy self-indulgent existential agony, I recommend. Tho having a trained counsellor sitting next to you for the duration is probably advisable.
    Well, I've just listened to Skeleton Tree. It's certainly a weighty work, one that I'll probably end up listening to on the main system, loud(-ish) after dark. I think that's the kind of atmosphere it sets up for me, despite the music's quietness. But I will have to be careful of my mood.

I'm not sure it'll be a work I come back to, too often. I'm not one for other people's existential agony.
  • uglymusic said:
    Suzy6toes said:
    Rae & Christian - Northern Sulphuric Soul

Well, I've just listened to Skeleton Tree. It's certainly a weighty work, one that I'll probably end up listening to on the main system, loud(-ish) after dark. I think that's the kind of atmosphere it sets up for me, despite the music's quietness. But I will have to be careful of my mood.

I'm not sure it'll be a work I come back to, too often. I'm not one for other people's existential agony.
    Glad you checked it out, Dave. I've listened through a few times. Not sure how I feel about having heard it first via the film. A lot of strong autobiographical stuff that, selfishly, perhaps ultimately detracts a little for me. Makes it more "his" and so I can't superimpose my own selfish interpretations on top!! But only a little. He talks about it all being less narrative, so that helps keep interpretation open.
    Will be listening to Skeleton Tree plenty more myself, but not as much as Push the Sky Away and No More Shall We Part.
    All of which require a careful eye on one's mood :-D 
  • Some new good-ole-rock'n'roll

english version

• Out of all the tributes to Nina Simone, Meshell Ndegeocello's is my favourite. These are no mere covers, more reimaginings. Take this version of Four Women, that ends the album:

The reviews I've read have been polarised, but WTH. This is really special.
  • Mount the Air - The Unthanks.

Sheer unadulterated perfection.

• How about some modern punk...

• cj66 said:
    How about some modern punk...

Never heard of them. But the track is fun!
  • John Zorn - Alhambra Love Songs

Zorn does easy listening! Nah. It has miles too much depth for that. But it isn't Zorn to scare the neighbours.
  • A folky tinge to a late night listen that lasted into the wee hours.

• Renegade Brass Band "Rhymes Beats and Brass".
    With a nice brithday whiskey. :-)

• Lee 'Scratch' Perry playlist on Tidal.

Genius!
  • From the Ozomatli album "Street Signs".
    I have an odd relationship with this lot. Never like them as much as I want to. Live or recorded.
    But never completely terrible.