Listening to ...

Comments

• Yeah. I know what you mean. I have the first album and never quite get through it all.
  • Part of the Station to Station reissue from a few years back:

• Having a 90s morning, for some reason:

Spiritualized - Ladies and gentleman we are floating in space

The Verve - Urban Hymns

• Bill Laswell - Hashisheen: The End of Law

• Cool - very interesting !
  • Glad you like it. One of Laswell's better albums, I think.
  • The Pixies - Head Carrier
  • A find off the new HD Tracks sampler

• cj66 said:
    A find off the new HD Tracks sampler

That's fun. I've never heard of him (of course!). I see there are a couple of albums on Tidal, so I'm going to give them a spin (gotta be retro with kind of stuff :-) ).
  • Femi Kuti - Shoki Shoki

• Docfoster said:
    Oh, yesss!
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    Oh, yesss!
    Yessss!
    Oddly I had it in my head that the album was disappointing before last night's listen. (Maybe the cover caught my eye due to the emerging escaped gorilla story...)
    But when I put it on last night I found the opposite (what is the opposite of "disappointing"...? ("satsifying" or "encouraging" aren't really doing it for me. I want a word that means something like "exceeding expectations + uplifting + surprising"...)
  • Delightful?
  • cj66 said:
    Delightful?

• Getting on for 50 years later, Miles' electric period continues to influence new music.
  • edited October 2016
    uglymusic said:

I can't resist, I'll see your Cole Porter with...Just de-lovely and delicious....

• cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

I can't resist, I'll see your Cole Porter with...Just de-lovely and delicious....

I see your Deee-Liteful offering and raise you a:

• edited October 2016

Vol 10 of John Zorn's Second Masada Songbook, featuring Zorn's Bar Kokhba Sextet. Absolutely lovely.
  • Miles Davis - The Complete On The Corner Sessions

• edited October 2016
    cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:

Good call.
    One of my all time fav's.
    And, even though I'm usually adverse to muso know-it-allness, in this case I want to acknowledge your fine choice of the proper version of this tune. The one with the Q-Tip rap! :-D
  • Ooo. The new Cymande album...

Kindly purchased for me on vinyl by a good friend.
    Once I accpeted that the album it could not be as good as their early 70s tunes, this new effort has grown on me this week.
    Only the track "Sea of Tears" remains completely and utterly awful. It puts me in mind of some theme tune from some 1980s cartoon. The sort that would probably have been shown on ITV.

• edited October 2016
    Bill Laswell - Oscillations

Shock, horror, probe! Why are there only remixes on YT?

• Milford Graves and Bill Laswell - Back in No Time (Live at The Stone)

Again, nothing on YT, so here's something a bit similar. Graves and Laswell with John Zorn in Middelheim. Yup. I'm still in the left-field New York  groove ;-)

• Just got stuck into Zorn-related stuff on YT.

This isn't anything to do with Lou Reed and Laurie Anderson, as billed. I think I agree with one of the posters that it's Zorn's assemblage, The Dreamers, with many of his usual suspects. Marc Ribot is fantastic on guitar.
  • It's the endgame for the working week, so...

Barry Guy, Trevor Watts, Howard Riley and John Stevens - Endgame

Free improv with a lot of structure, if that makes sense. Trevor Watts, in particular, is in soaring form, but this lot had been playing together as part of the British Free scene for about 15 years when this album was recorded and those hours and hours of playing show. 

A recent acquisition for me and one that is being played a lot in Rosam Towers.
  • uglymusic said:
    Bill Laswell - Oscillations

Shock, horror, probe! Why are there only remixes on YT?

Odd how that happens from time to time!
  • Keith Jarrett, Gary Peacock and Jack DeJohnette - Somewhere

When Jarrett plays like this, I wonder why I listen to any other pianists. Not an essential Jarrett, but a great recent live album with his long-lived trio.
  • A couple of days ago, I thought a Zorn live video was of The Dreamers. I was right!:

My wife calls it lift music; I think of it as Zorn goes surf :-)
  • Quite a pleasant diity along with the auto-play one that follows, comes more alive once the keyboard kicks in.

Hmmm "Mow Mow" strangely reminds of the Spanish term taught to kiddies for the sound a cat makes i.e. "Misu misu" (pronounced meesoo meesoo). I have asked many a Spaniard how they came up with that one, none of them know!
  • Get some friends of different nationalities around a table, give them plenty of food and drink and then ask them what noises various animals make. Always a good laugh ;-)
  • Michael Mantler - Silence

A different environment for hearing Robert Wyatt, if nothing else. 
  • edited October 2016
    Paul Dunmall & Tony Bianco - Homage to John Coltrane

Again, nothing on YT, except for a live gig.

Or there's this:

• Michael Formanek - Small Places

Tim Berne, Craig Taborn, Gerald Clever and Formanek himself. If there is such a thing as a Free Jazz Supergroup, this it it!
  • Medeski, Martin and Wood - Uninvisible

• Gotta wheel out Mr Dibango from time to time...

• And now for something completely different...

Mal Waldron - Black Glory

Mal seems to be a bit overlooked these days. Shame. He made some great albums. This one is a fine live album with some brilliant playing from all three members of the trio.
  • Marc Johnson & Eliane Elias - Swept Away

Too mainstream for me, on balance. Disappointed after the enthusiastic reviews when it came out.

Marcin Wasilewski Trio with Joakim Milder - Spark of Life

Same idea - core trio plus horn. Same label - ECM. But how much more satisfying is this? 

Max Roach - Percussion Bittersweet

My favourite period for Roach. 

And, @docfoster, you see jazzers got there before Burning Spear :-)
  • uglymusic said:

And, @docfoster, you see jazzers got there before Burning Spear :-)
    Which destination? (As usual,) I'm confused.
  • The track is called Garvey's Ghost.
  • edited October 2016
    uglymusic said:
    The track is called Garvey's Ghost.

BTW I like the descriptive label on that. All albums should have an appropriate label like that.
  • edited October 2016
    Had this pointed out to me the other day.
    I'm not a Daniel fan, but I was quite impressed with it...

Here's the original:

and live...

• Again, the fantastic...

Craig Taborn Trio - Chants

I never tire of this album. The only disappointment is there's been no follow-up and three years have elapsed.
  • Dave Holland Quartet - Conference of the Birds

A free jazz supergroup from the early 70s - Dave Holland, Sam Rivers, Anthony Braxton and Barry Altschul. Rivers has passed, but the others are still active today.

BTW, there's some brilliant music on this album. And not all of it is 'out there'.
  • Gillan & Glover "Accidentally on Purpose"

Only very ropy uploads on YT. Quite a departure for both parties from what they are better known for and IHMO an excellent and more chilled album.
  • Ornette Coleman - The Shape of Jazz to Come

Lonely Woman, the first track, is one of the finest in all of jazz. It stops me in my tracks every time.
  • Massacre - Killing Time

Avant hard rock type stuff. Luvvit!
  • David Sylvian & Robert Fripp - The First Day

• Carla Bley - Heavy Heart

Only a live version on YT.

Charles Mingus - Blues & Roots

This is one of those jazz albums that transcends all that baggage people think comes with the genre. Mingus' band is an unstoppable shouting, hollering, stomping juggernaut. You'd have to be dead not to get something from this.