Listening to ...

Comments

• Mary Halvorson Trio - Ghost Loop

I love Halvorson's wonky-sounding approach to the guitar and improvisation. She's instantly recognisable and completely unique.
  • Burning Spear - Creation Rebel

Again, I can't find the album I'm listening to on YT. Some of this mix does come from the album, though.

A note from the mods: In no way does Audio Chews condone the activities depicted in the first video.
  • uglymusic said:

Burning Spear - Creation Rebel

Again, I can't find the album I'm listening to on YT. Some of this mix does come from the album, though.

A note from the mods: In no way does Audio Chews condone the activities depicted in the first video.
    So there's been a change to our Ganga Endorsement Policy.
    Did I miss a meeting?
  • Great tunes there Dave. :smile:
  • Retro listening, both older pop and format used...

• Must get the wax cylinders out.

Trouble is, you have to keep them away from the radiators.
  • edited November 2016
    Docfoster said:

So there's been a change to our Ganga Endorsement Policy. Did I miss a meeting?
    I and I had de meeting.
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:

So there's been a change to our Ganga Endorsement Policy. Did I miss a meeting?
    I and I had de meeting.

^:)^
  • Great big slabs of Keith Jarrett this morning. 

Always Let Me Go: Live in Tokyo - nothing on YT

Belonging - only a live gig from about this time.

Changeless

• edited November 2016
    And now!

Keith Jarrett - Death and the Flower

During the 70s, Jarrett erupted with fantastic music. Not only did he redefine solo piano improvisation with records like the Koln Concert, but he ran two jazz quartets (the so-called European Quartet, heard on Belonging and others, and the American Quartet, heard on this album and others (it's actually a quintet on Death & the Flower with a percussionist)), plus third-stream-like offerings such as Hymns/Spheres and In the Light.

At this stage, Jarrett was also playing a bit of soprano saxophone. A little idiosyncratic, but I wish he'd dust it off again these days.
  • edited November 2016
    Guess what I'm listening to this morning? 

Sorry. It's only a snippet from the start of the album. 
  • And for your further enjoyment:

• edited November 2016
    Not allowing myself to dragged back into the world of Keith Jarrett, I'm listening to:

Tim Berne, Joey Baron and Hank Roberts - Miniature 

Yup. It's alto sax, cello, drums and a smattering of electronics. It doesn't anything like the almost conventional sax trio you may be imagining.
  • If you want to understand Tim Berne, a good place to start is Julius Hemphill, Berne's great inspiration and mentor.

I love the kind of rough groove on the title track. 

• Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Flipping PC has decided to allow fan noise through! Despite a galvanic isolator on the USB conversion board. Grrrrrrrrrrr

Found CPU fan to be faulty and replaced it, given other fans and filter a good clean & lube. Still have soprano bees but less loud. May replace case fan too. Possibly add some electronic filters to the fans power feeds as well.

:-?
  • We'll have to put it to a vote, Chris.

What's preferable, heavy metal or a buzzing fan? :-D

• Jim Black AlasNoAxis - Dogs of Great Indifference

Black is a fantastic drummer, even on this kind of post-rock(?) stuff.

You know the story by now. Nothing from this album on YT, so here's a compilation of some of the stuff that is.
  • edited November 2016
    Rahsaan Roland Kirk - Rip, Rig & Panic/Now Please Don't You Cry, Beautiful Edith

Two albums by the utterly unique Rahsaan Roland Kirk (christened Roland Kirk, the name Rahsaan came to him in a dream). If these don't make you smile, nothing will.

Roland Kirk - Tenor Saxophone, Stritch, Manzello, Flute, Siren, Oboe, Castanets
    Jaki Byard - Piano
    Richard Davis - Bass
    Elvin Jones - Drums 

'Rip means Rip Van Winkle (or Rest in Peace?); it's the way people, even musicians are. They're asleep. Rig means like rigor mortis. That's where a lot of people's mind are. When they hear me doing things they didn't think I could do they panic in their minds.'

p.p1 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #101010; -webkit-text-stroke: #101010} p.p2 {margin: 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px 0.0px; font: 14.0px Helvetica; color: #101010; -webkit-text-stroke: #101010; min-height: 17.0px} span.s1 {font-kerning: none}
  • edited November 2016
    There are some great live videos of kirk on YouTube.

• edited November 2016
    uglymusic said:
    We'll have to put it to a vote, Chris.

Oh you bitch, I'll scratch your eyes out!

Funny you should make the analagy because (not my thang but...)  http://www.chron.com/entertainment/music/article/Buzzfest-34-s-lineup-revealed-6462795.php
  • cj66 said:
    uglymusic said:
    We'll have to put it to a vote, Chris.

Oh you bitch, I'll scratch your eyes out!

Funny you should make the analagy because (not my thang but...)  http://www.chron.com/entertainment/music/article/Buzzfest-34-s-lineup-revealed-6462795.php
    Miiiiiiaaaaaaaaoooooowwwwww!!!!!!!
  • edited November 2016
    Aim: "Underground Crown Holders"

• uglymusic said:

Brilliant. Just brilliant. :-)
    Thanks Dave!
  • edited November 2016
    Aim: "Original Stuntmaster"

It's from the Aim album "Drum Machines & VHS Dreams"
    I was introduced to it for the first time last week on an all too rare visit to the home of an old school friend. I've been listening to it today. The album is SO representative of what I like to listen to. I am loving it loving it loving it. :-)
    Me and my old friend shared very similar musical tastes when we were at school 25 or more years ago. We have met several times since, but haven't spoken much about what music we've been listening to since we were kids. Listening to his recommendation right now, it is quite remarkable, and somehow profoundly reassuring - moving in fact - that mine and his listening preferances have continued completely separately but very much in parallel in the time since we stopped collectively obsessing about music.
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Thanks Dave!
    I would have loved to have seen him live. He apparently played at Ronnie Scott's in London pretty regularly, but at that time I wouldn't have got in (I know it's hard for members of Chews to imagine, but I was too young). 
  • It's Patti Smith Day here at Ugly Towers. Thank you.
  • uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Thanks Dave!
    I would have loved to have seen him live. He apparently played at Ronnie Scott's in London pretty regularly, but at that time I wouldn't have got in (I know it's hard for members of Chews to imagine, but I was too young). 
    But he was born in 1936...
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Thanks Dave!
    But he was born in 1936...
  • Paul Motian - Dance

Where Motian's unique drumming really starts to come together IMHO. From here on in, I'll listen to anything he appeared on.

• Sun Ra - Astro Black

• Ornette Coleman - Town Hall 1962

This is so good. I love Ornette's earlier quartet - all the famous stuff on Atlantic - but the band immediately afterwards (this trio with David Izenson on bass and Charles Moffett on drums) is equally riveting. They allow so much space for each other. And you can hear Ornette in all his glory.
  • OK. Enuff of that Free Jazz Malarkey... Time for some:

John Hiatt - Mystic Pinball

^:)^
  • A rare event for me to be in tune with you guys!
    I have his album "Perfectly Good Guitar" in the cans now. B-)
  • edited November 2016
    It was a toss-up between Perfectly Good Guitar and Slow Turning next. I went for Slow Turning because I haven't listened to it for a while. Maybe Perfectly Good Guitar later ;-)
  • Sorry about this, Chris...

Dave Holland, Chris Potter, Lionel Loueke and Eric Harland - Aziza

What a joyful record! Even the sometime dour-sounding Potter gets into it. Oh, BTW, Aziza is a kind of African, Cuban, Latin, Jazz melange and it's going to be played to death here.

• John Martyn - One World
  • John Surman - Saltash Bells (24bit)

Seriously, not in the least ugly! 

Surman has been working on these overdubbed sax and electronics pieces for nearly 50 years (at least, the first album of them came out in '79), and he still finds new things to say. 
  • Dug out the first two albums by The The. Still excellent with plenty to say.
    :)

• I have a copy of Infected. I must give it a play.
  • edited December 2016
    Another older favourite being given a spin (open-file?)

From their album The Ruby Sea which I rate as their best.

• Mostly Other People Do The Killing - The Coimbra Concert

• Now pay attention! An early Christmas present from me to Chewers :-)

• edited December 2016

Really enjoyed this.
    More than I was expecting too. Reminded me of what great pop songs they wrote, even in the early years. And, that I have always snobbishly eschewed so much of their earlier material for their post-Pepper period.
    Also, in so much of the footage the chaps were at their effortlessly energised and charming best.

The hi-res sound quality on some of the stuff made for the best SQ I've ever experienced on Beatles tracks.
    Also some of the studio out-take stuff, here left very much uneffected and still oh-so-acoustic, reminded me how much damage is usually done to the "hi fidelity" of the sound of recordings long before it reaches our hifis.
  • New to me... picking through their repertoire, on this track less is more so I prefer the acoustic version

• Dunno anything about them. 
  • Some diabolic, poor excuse for music on a Spanish radio station
    @-)
  • Some diabolic, poor excuse for music on a Spanish radio station
    @-)
    Hostage situation...?
  • edited January 2017
    Jack DeJohnette, Ravi Coltrane and Matthew Garrison - In Movement

This album got great reviews when it came out earlier in 2016. I just caught up with it, and it's so much better than cynical me expected it to be. It's a real band, doing great things, rather than just coasting on its personal connections and roots in the music of John Coltrane.