Listening to ...

Comments

• Pharoah Sanders, Trilok Gurtu, Graham Haynes, Bill Laswell etc - With a Heartbeat

One of Laswell's star-packed jazz/dub sessions. And a good one, it is :-)
  • edited January 2017
    Masabumi Kikuchi - Black Orpheus

The video appears to be from the same solo concert in Japan that the album comes from, but I haven't compared it directly with the CD, so it may not even be on it!

Some very stripped down solo piano improvisations (can I hear some similarities to Paul Bley?) from the recently deceased idiosyncratic US-based Japanese pianist. It's harder work than most Jarrett, but it's nice to have one or two like this to work on on the NAS drive.
  • edited January 2017

There's some great stuff on the Jahtari label, if you like dub...
  • I does like dub! But I don't know the label at all. 

I shall have to investigate further.
  • I'm not usually drawn to Dub but did find Tsunami Wazahari via your link. How can you ignore a name like that?! Investigations revealed some fun stuff using wider spread world music influences and better recording quality than I normally associate with Dub.

An' dis one jus' cuz' de name

• Oh hang on geezas.....this hits the spot!

spose i should be wiggin out to this, thems were the days!
  • Tomas Fujiwara & The Hook Up - After All Is Said

One of my favourite New York bands - they are a regular band - made even better by new bassist Michael Formanek. 

Some reviewers have likened the band to Miles' Second Great Quintet from the 60s. If only the Hook Up were that well-known! Although I know why the comparison is made. The band pushes the envelope of what could be seen as today's mainstream, but without ripping it to pieces. Even my favourite guitar weirdo, Mary Halvorson, sounds absolutely right in this context.

Alas, I can't find any of the tracks from After All Is Said on YT, so here's a gig by the line-up on the album.

The sound is crap, but you'll get the gist.
  • It's modernish. German based I think. Lee Perry happens to be on that compilation. But generally it's more recent / underground bands. Disrupt "Foundation Bit" is the best release I've heard from the labelS
    cj66 said:
    Oh hang on geezas.....this hits the spot!

Love this! Thanks. :-)
  • edited January 2017
    There's an ongoing backgroud sample about the illusion of objectivity in this one (Disrupt "Bomb 20"). Sounds like it's from some old sci-fi movie. I'd be very grateful, and impressed, if anyone can indentify from where the sample was taken...

• edited January 2017
    I like the bass in this (David Holmes "Don't Die Just Yet"). Both the tone of the instrument and the playing of the musician (Paul Noble(?)). Especially when things start to kick-off a bit at around 4:25.

• edited January 2017
    Docfoster said:
    There's an ongoing backgroud sample about the illusion of objectivity in this one (Disrupt "Bomb 20"). Sounds like it's from some old sci-fi movie. I'd be very grateful, and impressed, if anyone can indentify from where the sample was taken...

Easy peasy! Dark Star, even the track name comes from the movie "Thermostellar Bomb #20". If you haven't seen it DO. It's an excellent, slightly trippy, science fiction movie.

In addition, if you haven't seen Silent Running give that a whirl too, it's in a similar vein.
  • Docfoster said:
    It's modernish. German based I think. Lee Perry happens to be on that compilation. But generally it's more recent / underground bands. Disrupt "Foundation Bit" is the best release I've heard from the labelS
    cj66 said:

Love this! Thanks. :-)
    It does sound a bit industrial. 

This stuff is a whole new area of dub I don't know.
  • Kirk Knuffke - Big Wig

The cornet player's first album under his own name.

Nothing on YT from the album (of course), but here's a short documentary with some very nice live interludes:

• I'm getting some unbelievable live stuff popping up in my YT recommendations.

This, from the Vijay Iyer Sextet:

• edited January 2017
    uglymusic said:
    I'm getting some unbelievable live stuff popping up in my YT recommendations.

Thanks Dave. Some interesting and enjoyable stuff in that. There were times when things were absolutely on the very limit of what my brain can access and take some enjoyment from. And, there were plenty of times when it lurched over that line. Even then, I am utterly in awe of musicians that have the technical skill to play like that and the musical talent to be able to keep their shape through the most rhythmically challenging passages.
    Additionally, I took enjoyment from the band being able to so closely and accurately follow their sheet music during passages that to me sounded utterly shapeless. As I say, that sort of thing is certainly beyond my capacity to play, and sometimes to meaningfully appreciate.

On your other point Dave, I think the way technology does a lot of leg work in finding new music is bloody brilliant. I remember in the olden days (late 80s, early 90s) studying bands, their musicians, producers, contemporaries, etc.,... in an attempt to find similar but undiscovered music that I could also enjoy. Nowadays software used by Youtube, Amazon, etc.,... often (not always) does a really good job of matching what I've chosen to listen to with new things that I might like to listen to, and with no effort on my part.
  • cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:

Easy peasy! Dark Star, even the track name comes from the movie "Thermostellar Bomb #20". If you haven't seen it DO. It's an excellent, slightly trippy, science fiction movie.

In addition, if you haven't seen Silent Running give that a whirl too, it's in a similar vein.
    One coconut to you, sir.
    Thanks. I've put the Bluray on my Lovefilm list.
    Will also scout out Silent Running.
  • edited January 2017

Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Thanks Dave. Some interesting and enjoyable stuff in that. There were times when things were absolutely on the very limit of what my brain can access and take some enjoyment from. And, there were plenty of times when it lurched over that line. Even then, I am utterly in awe of musicians that have the technical skill to play like that and the musical talent to be able to keep their shape through the most rhythmically challenging passages.
    Additionally, I took enjoyment from the band being able to so closely and accurately follow their sheet music during passages that to me sounded utterly shapeless. As I say, that sort of thing is certainly beyond my capacity to play, and sometimes to meaningfully appreciate.

On your other point Dave, I think the way technology does a lot of leg work in finding new music is bloody brilliant. I remember in the olden days (late 80s, early 90s) studying bands, their musicians, producers, contemporaries, etc.,... in an attempt to find similar but undiscovered music that I could also enjoy. Nowadays software used by Youtube, Amazon, etc.,... often (not always) does a really good job of matching what I've chosen to listen to with new things that I might like to listen to, and with no effort on my part.
    Cool. I'm glad you liked it.

I'm not sure I properly 'appreciate' music in the Radio 3 sense. 

I'm not a muso, nor have I got any musical theory under my belt. I kind of put it like going to a foreign country with no idea of the language. I'd pick it up over time. Or having a mate who is very well versed in something obscure. There may be something that hooks me about it, and over time, I'll pick up enough to feel at home in the subject. incidentally, Kirk Knuffke tells his version of this in the other video I posted today.

I started rolling back the boundaries of my taste in my mid-teens and I'm still discovering new stuff. 

End of ramble.

And on your second point. Yeah. I love exploring TIDAL, Spotify and particularly YT. The other way that technology scores these days is putting cameras or phones in the hands of people who can video gigs that would never attract the pros.
  • Docfoster said:
    One coconut to you, sir.
    Not sure I'd bother with a bluray! It's a low budget jobby, just watch it on line ;)
  • cj66 said:
    Docfoster said:
    One coconut to you, sir.
    Not sure I'd bother with a bluray! It's a low budget jobby, just watch it on line ;)
    Sorry, my OCD won't allow such a failure to extract every possible iota of performance.

:-SS 8-}
  • edited January 2017
    uglymusic said:
    ...I kind of put it like going to a foreign country with no idea of the language. I'd pick it up over time. Or having a mate who is very well versed in something obscure. There may be something that hooks me about it, and over time, I'll pick up enough to feel at home in the subject.
    That resonates with me. Though I think the (metaphorical musical) foreign countries that I visit are different (though possibly neighbouring) to those that you do.
    Also, I think I am perhaps more conservative, in as much as in order to feel comfortable, I need to see a few similar customs, foods or commercial goods when visiting a new (metaphorical musical) country.

uglymusic said:
    I'm not sure I properly 'appreciate' music in the Radio 3 sense.
    :)) I'm unsure what this means. Sounds annoying. I don't listen to Radio 3. Not intentionally, just have not considered it.

By "appreciate" I simply meant that the parts of my brain that identify something as music (presumably through recognising some combination of "necessary" (for me) amounts of melody, rhythm and familiar musical structure), find the evidence necessary to make that identification for some given aural stimulation. Thinking about it now, "appreciate" was probably not a very good word to use for that.
    Also, I'm aware that I'm wanting to be clear that this notion is subjective; that I'm feeling at pains to make clear that I'm speaking only from the point of view of my own perspective. I am fully aware that the brains of others are utterly able to identify aural stimulations as "music", that my brain would be unable to.
    Also, Dave I note that you write that you are not a scholar of musical theory - I would certainly support the idea that one does not need to formally "study" musical theory in order to appreciate music. Or indeed, to produce it. Possibly study may enhance those abilities. I suspect that the abilities to produce and, separately, to appreciate music are largely genetically predisposed (of course particular enviornmental exposure to specific types of music, instrumentation, etc.,... give form to how this predisposition is expressed). My understanding that the abilities to produce and to appreciate music are the products of sexual selection in our evolutionary history. Essentially their function is to give insight to those around us (and ultimately to potential mates) as to how "fit" our brains are (in relative terms to our contemporaries).

Perhaps I should write-in to Radio 3...

;)
  • (By "fit" I mean in the sense of "without, or relatively low in, genetic mutation".)
  • Crikey Dave, you've started me rambling now...!
    :-D
  • Docfoster said:
    Crikey Dave, you've started me rambling now...!
    :-D
    We haven't had a good ramble from you for years! 

But, as it's my birthday today , please have sufficient drinks on me for a classic Ben Midnight Ramble. I'm looking forward to it!
  • Harvey Mandel - Snake Pit

I can listen to this kind of stuff now I'm getting old ;-)
  • Sun Ra featuring Pharoah Sanders and Black Harold

• Massacre - Killing Time

Their first album. I bought on vinyl when it first came out. One of those WTF is this? purchases. 

• edited January 2017
    Reminds me of driving poor Mrs cj mental when I use the kitchen (or anything else for that matter) as a drum kit.

Strange but fun, still listening!
  • cj66 said:
    Reminds me of driving poor Mrs cj mental when I use the kitchen (or anything else for that matter) as a drum kit.

Strange but fun, still listening!
    I hoped it might appeal ;-)

Give the live gig I posted separately a listen. 
  • This Heat - This Heat

Recorded in my old manor, Camberwell, back in '79.
  • Oh dear, I'm getting into TH now...

This Heat - Deceit

01. Sleep 00:00 - 02:14 02. Paper Hats 02:14 - 08:17 03. Triumph 08:17 - 11:13 04. S.P.Q.R. 11:13 - 14:43 05. Cenotaph 14:43 - 19:22 06. Shrinkwrap 19:22 - 21:04 07. Radio Prague 21:04 - 23:26 08. Makeshift Swahili 23:26 - 27:30 09. Independence 27:30 - 31:13 10. A New Kind Of Water 31:13 - 36:11 11. Hi Baku Shyo 36:11 - 40:15
  • Oh, and while I'm at it...

This Heat - Health and Efficiency (EP)

• cj66 said:

Am on catch up here. But enjoying the above.
    Currently listening to a bit of New FADS Peel Sessions though.

• Suzy6toes said:

Currently listening to a bit of New FADS Peel Sessions though.
    Great! Fantastically energised and raw! :-)
  • Jakob Bro with Thomas Morgan and Joey Baron - Streams

I've had a number of ECM albums over Christmas and my birthday. This one is the most immediate. 

Here's a live version of one of the tracks:

I love the way Joey Baron is playing these days.
  • edited January 2017
    Their back catalogue may be more cutting edge psycodelia in its day but also dated. I like their most recent album though...

Although I just found a remastered version of Cottonwoodhill that kicks serious new life into the recording

:)
  • cj66 said:
    Their back catalogue may be more cutting edge psycodelia in its day but also dated. I like their most recent album though...

Although I just found a remastered version of Cottonwoodhill that kicks serious new life into the recording

:)
    I don't know them. But liked this track.

What else would you recommend, Chris?
  • That entire album is a good listen and as stated the remastered version of the album Cottonwwodhill (represents their first and most recent releases) is, after a few listens, even better. I couldn't get into that first one originally but the remaster really hepled it along. The original is too tinny and "distant" whereas the remaster has been pumped up sound-wars styley but too extreme.
    The works inbetween I have also found dififcult to immerse myself but that could also be due to sound quality rather than content.

You'll find them and others on Spotify so I guess Tidal has them also.
  • That should read "NOT too extreme..."
  • cj66 said:
    That should read "NOT too extreme..."
    Boo! We likes extreme here at Ugly Towers :-)
  • edited January 2017
    cj66 said:
    That entire album is a good listen and as stated the remastered version of the album Cottonwwodhill (represents their first and most recent releases) is, after a few listens, even better. I couldn't get into that first one originally but the remaster really hepled it along. The original is too tinny and "distant" whereas the remaster has been pumped up sound-wars styley but too extreme.
    The works inbetween I have also found dififcult to immerse myself but that could also be due to sound quality rather than content.

You'll find them and others on Spotify so I guess Tidal has them also.
    Thanks Chris

I have Spotti as well as TIDAL, so I'll find it one way or another ;-)

Update: Found on TIDAL and now belting out of my office system. There's something about near-field listening 
    :bz
  • I like it, Chris!

Puts me in mind of some of Miles Davis' 70s work - the early 70s stuff, before it became both more funky and more out.
  • I suspected you might! 50/50 chance of being to Ben's liking too.
  • I haven't listened to anything else by them yet, but I'll report back when I do.
  • That is rather pleasant. I'd always associated him with "elevator-music" style covers and added him to the likes of Richard Clayderman et al.

I investigated a little further and found "The Sorcerer" album which I also enjoyed. Zipping through other material did, unfortunately, confirm my original thoughts. However, two standout albums there.
  • Well, one has to have something to play in one's elevator at home ;-)
  • cj66 said:
    I suspected you might! 50/50 chance of being to Ben's liking too.
    Sneaky way of forcing me to listen... ;-)
    Accurate odds too, having done so.
    I like the interesting, wandering, ambient aspects of it. The more funky bits I nearly like. I almost always welcome flute. And I like the drumming.
    Other aspects sounded too shapeless and indulgent for me.
    Probably about 50/50 in terms of my liking it.
    Thanks. Would probably never have experienced that without your recommendation.
  • The Irresistable Force "Power"

• Suzy6toes said:
    That was unexpectedly pleasing. :-)
  • Suzy6toes said:
    I've not heard this for donkey's. It actually sounds better now than I remember.

Thanks for that Helen.