Listening to ...

Comments

• Nat Birchall Quintet - Live in Larissa

I love what Birchall and his band are doing with John & Alice Coltrane's spiritual music legacy. I'd love to see them live.
  • uglymusic said:

Nat Birchall Quintet - Live in Larissa

I love what Birchall and his band are doing with John & Alice Coltrane's spiritual music legacy. I'd love to see them live.
    Listening to this I keep getting the feeling of being taken to a precipice and leaning over an edge, but never quite far enough to fall. The effect is rather disturbing but beautiful.
  • Suzy6toes said:

uglymusic said:

Nat Birchall Quintet - Live in Larissa

Listening to this I keep getting the feeling of being taken to a precipice and leaning over an edge, but never quite far enough to fall. The effect is rather disturbing but beautiful.
    That's interesting. I don't get the feeling of disturbance - I'm not saying you're wrong, of course.

The music that Birchall and his associates are drawing on is some of the most beautiful I know.

Have you just listened to the above track, or have you found more?

And, do you know Alice Coltrane's original? It is different.

• You overestimate me Dave! The link was my first experience of Birchall et al. Tho would definitely encourage me to look out more. Will investigate the Alice Coltrane too. Am appreciating the education :-)
  • Are you on Spotify or Tidal? I point you to some stuff there?

And here's the Alice Coltrane album on YouTube:

On some days, it would be one of my desert island discs.
  • End to end Neil Young today whilst doing house chores.
  • cj66 said:
    End to end Neil Young today whilst doing house chores.
    You like a little masochism, then, Chris?  X_X
  • Drake - More Life

I like some of this stuff. Big surprise!
  • uglymusic said:
    cj66 said:
    End to end Neil Young today whilst doing house chores.
    You like a little masochism, then, Chris?  X_X
    Hands off Neil, Dave! I loves 'im :-)  Good for you , Chris!!
  • uglymusic said:
    Are you on Spotify or Tidal? I point you to some stuff there?

And here's the Alice Coltrane album on YouTube:

On some days, it would be one of my desert island discs.
    Spotify please. Thank you :-)  will check out the youtube link this evening. 
  • So, have been listening to both Coltrane (A) and Birchell. I can definitely see the appeal for you Dave in both, though am not sophisticated enough to do full justice in that understanding! For me, the Birchall feels more soulful, ie reaches *my* soul more directly. I want to try and explain why, but fear I Will expose my ignorance beyond redemption if I do !! Certainly both are beautiful. Send Spotify links please.

Also, on a totally pretentious note, this reminded me that I once wanted to call one of my cats Catchidananda as he always had such a blissful look in his eyes. He ended up being called Spongeface 
  • Suzy6toes said:
    Also, on a totally pretentious note, this reminded me that I once wanted to call one of my cats Catchidananda as he always had such a blissful look in his eyes. He ended up being called Spongeface 
    Was hoping to find a photo of Mr. C looking pissed or something, but fair doos, he does have an enviable serenity about his eyes...

• Al
    Docfoster said:

Suzy6toes said:

Was hoping to find a photo of Mr. C looking pissed or something, but fair doos, he does have an enviable serenity about his eyes...

Though the Spongeface would be a good name for him too :smiley:
  • Mickey Hart - Mystery Box

• Depeche Mode - Music for the Masses c/o Spotify
  • Nursery Cryme on LP. First time in ages, usually play from file.
  • Adrian Sherwood "You Wonder Why"

• Ella and Louis "Isn't it a lovely day"

• edited April 2017
    Beastie Boys "Don't Play no Game that I can't win"

• Roberta Flack "Compared to What"

• Kruder & Dorfmeister "Shakatakadoodub"

• Alice Coltrane "Troika"

• Beethoven Piano Sonata 4

• A Tribe Called Quest "Push it Along"

• Docfoster said:

Alice Coltrane "Troika"

Now you're talking!
  • Satie- gnossienne 1,2,3.
  • Britten - Lachrymae
  • John cage - ocean of sounds
  • edited April 2017
    Suzy6toes said:
    Satie- gnossienne 1,2,3.
    Lovely! If you have to be up at that hour, that's a great one :-)

I love Britten, but I'm not sure I know that work. And, as for the John Cage, compete ignorance!
  • edited April 2017
    Britten - Lachrymae 

Found it on Tidal
  • Docfoster said:
    A Tribe Called Quest "Push it Along"

Indeed! I'd not heard this in yonks.
  • uglymusic said:
    Alice Coltrane "Troika"

Now you're talking!
    Thought that one might resonate with you, Dave :-)
    The Troika track I do like, though I use it a lot due to my liking it as a test track for my system. The double bass and the piano are well-recorded but under-produced, and hence nicely presented. On naturalistic source material like this I find double bass and piano instruments useful in assessing how well a system is "performing". Second only to vocals for me.

I like the Rosa Passos and Ron Carter album "Entre Amigos" for similar reasons (though it's acoustic guitar in place of piano). I personally prefer "Entre Amigos" musically, but I would imagine "Translinear Light" is more up your alley.

• Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Alice Coltrane "Troika"

Now you're talking!
    Thought that one might resonate with you, Dave :-)
    The Troika track I do like, though I use it a lot due to my liking it as a test track for my system. The double bass and the piano are well-recorded but under-produced, and hence nicely presented. On naturalistic source material like this I find double bass and piano instruments useful in assessing how well a system is "performing". Second only to vocals for me.

I like the Rosa Passos and Ron Carter album "Entre Amigos" for similar reasons (though it's acoustic guitar in place of piano). I personally prefer "Entre Amigos" musically, but I would imagine "Translinear Light" is more up your alley.

I've had The Alice Coltrane ever since it came out. From memory, the bassist on most, if not all, of the album was Charlie Haden who had a wonderful warm, weighty sound.

You're right about the Alice album being my favourite of the two, in fact, I'm not that keen on Entre Amigos. It sounds like the Brazilian music I don't like, despite a Spanish title (I think) for the album - or maybe it's only one track in Portuguese?

BTW I haven't forgotten about those Spotify links. Just crazy busy.
  • edited April 2017
    I'm not that keen on Entre Amigos. It sounds like the Brazilian music I don't like, despite a Spanish title (I think) for the album - or maybe it's only one track in Portuguese?

That's interesting. I can honestly say the words have always just washed over me. I'm not sure that even subconsciously I've ever considered what language they're in. Probably says a lot about my oblivious approach to life! :-D
    I think I know what you mean about "Brazilian music" of this type. I remain unsure about how I feel about it in general. But however I feel about it, this album is one example that I would put at my top end of whatever those feelings are! But that's probably at least as much to do with the instrument line-up, recording quality and Rosa's voice as it is to do with the music per-se.
    And we'll have to agree to disagree about the outcome of the Translinear Light v Entre Amigos battle of the albums...! ;-)
  • Thanks for remembering about the links.

John Cage wise, I'd be happy to hear from Chewies with recommendations on that front. V limited experience myself.
  • Docfoster said:
    I'm not that keen on Entre Amigos. It sounds like the Brazilian music I don't like, despite a Spanish title (I think) for the album - or maybe it's only one track in Portuguese?

That's interesting. I can honestly say the words have always just washed over me. I'm not sure that even subconsciously I've ever considered what language they're in. Probably says a lot about my oblivious approach to life! :-D
    I think I know what you mean about "Brazilian music" of this type. I remain unsure about how I feel about it in general. But however I feel about it, this album is one example that I would put at my top end of whatever those feelings are! But that's probably at least as much to do with the instrument line-up, recording quality and Rosa's voice as it is to do with the music per-se.
    And we'll have to agree to disagree about the outcome of the Translinear Light v Entre Amigos battle of the albums...! ;-)
    Maybe I should listen to it all the way through - after all I did listen to Translinear Light yesterday ;-)

We had Brazilian cleaners when we lived in London, so I guess I'm aware that Brazil is the exception, linguistically, in South America. Also, for some reason, the most visible and established immigrant group in LA is Portuguese. I don't speak a word of the language, though.

Must get you into the Alice Coltrane thing, though. She is a bit left-of-field, but she established her own jazz tributary. 
  • edited April 2017
    Suzy6toes said:
    Thanks for remembering about the links. John Cage wise, I'd be happy to hear from Chewies with recommendations on that front. V limited experience myself.
    No worries. I've had it written down as something to do for over a week now. Hoping to do it over the weekend.

I'm having a look on Spotify now for the John Cage you played - it's not on Tidal :-(

And it'll have to remain a mystery, because it's not on Spotify, either 
  • edited April 2017
    OK. I'm on the hunt for some John Cage.

This is utterly beautiful:

In a Landscape (for guitar and harp)
  • uglymusic said:
    Must get you into the Alice Coltrane thing, though. She is a bit left-of-field, but she established her own jazz tributary. 
    You're a man on a mission...

• Playing this on the way home on the school run. My 10 year old son asked, in all seriousness, "Why is he singing about his sofa?" I'll never be able to hear it in the same way again.
    :-D
  • Docfoster said:
    Playing this on the way home on the school run. My 10 year old son asked, in all seriousness, "Why is he singing about his sofa?" I'll never be able to hear it in the same way again.
    :-D
    Because, clearly, sofa living is the best. LOL!
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Very nice, but I don't own a whistle...
  • uglymusic said:

OK. I'm on the hunt for some John Cage.

This is utterly beautiful:

In a Landscape (for guitar and harp)
    In a Landscape is indeed sublime.
  • edited April 2017
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Rev Duns "A Jesuit's Tin Whistle Lesson: Week One"

• Saint Etienne - So tough - wonderful stuff!
  • Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:
    Docfoster said:
    uglymusic said:

Rev Duns "A Jesuit's Tin Whistle Lesson: Week One"

Gonna have to get myself a tin whistle now.
  • edited April 2017
    'Black' Arthur Blythe died recently. He was one of the greatest alto players that ever lived; there was great outpouring of sadness amongst the jazz musicians and fans I follow on FB.

One of them posted a link to this on YT:

As far as I know, this was Blythe's first appearance on record, and he rips it up! I've known the album (The Giant is Awakened) for a while, but hadn't been able to find a digital copy (vinyl copies are rare and expensive). 

I found out that a short-run reissue had come out two or three years back, but were going for £60-£120 secondhand. However, a nice man from California on an FB discussion told me of an older reissue from the early 90s, and gave me a link to an £8 copy in the States.

It arrived yesterday. What a blast!
  • One of my formative albums. It may be supremely unfashionable in some circles to like Fagan and Becker, but I love just about every note they've ever recorded (slight exaggeration).

Just one track. Make sure you listen to the rest ;-)
  • Buddy Guy, Feels Like Rain.