Albums we shouldn't be without

edited March 2011 in Other music
What are your recommendations for must-have music of 2010, irrespective of genre?

Comments

• Very good question.  I tend not to think of new music, just music.  I find there's so much I've yet to hear that I ignore when it was made.

So I'm not best placed to make any recommendations I'm afraid.

I could certainly contribute to a Albums one shouldn't be without - with no time criteria.

I'll start one later.
  • That's funny. I always have a need to hear what's happening and being released now. To me, this is where the real life is. 

As much as I love Coltrane, Mingus, Monk and the rest, and continue investigating the stuff I haven't heard yet, their's is a historical music, made in and of their time. I want to hear what the world in 2010 is causing people to create.
  • I may not have been clear enough.  I take no notice of the year it was made but I do hear new stuff as well as old - I just don't make a point of it.

William Elliot Whitmore is an example, his Animals in the dark was new last year and that's when I heard it.  I've just looked it up so now I know it was last year.  Equally I bought Bag It and have not looked a the date.

Also, getting philosophical or metaphysical for a moment albums like The Koln Concert and Sun Ship always sound fresh as new paint to me :)

• Also, getting philosophical or metaphysical for a moment albums like The Koln Concert and Sun Ship always sound fresh as new paint to me :)
    Yes, I agree with that. The best music speaks outside of its time.
  • I downloaded the Koln concert recently, still have to get round to converting the format though. It is probably the only high-rez album I have, and I'm not even familiar with the standard version! What a philistine...

So, is it good then?
    :-??
  • OK. Maybe I should start with my Top 5 from 2010:

David S Ware - Onecept
    Grinderman - Grinderman 2
    Paul Motian, Jason Moran & Chris Potter - Lost in a Dream
    Robert Wyatt - For the Ghosts Within
    Jason Moran - Ten

• I downloaded the Koln concert recently, still have to get round to converting the format though. It is probably the only high-rez album I have, and I'm not even familiar with the standard version! What a philistine...

So, is it good then?

:-??

Just a bit  :-)

For my money, Jarrett is one of the 'greatest living jazzmen'.
  • Oooooh!

So it's jazz then?

8->

Only kidding, just kidding!  ;))
  • JimJim
    edited December 2010
    +1 what Dave said.

Get settled in the quiet and play it - not too loudly.  Guaranteed you'll play it through at least twice times.
  • Oooooh!

So it's jazz then?

8->

Only kidding, just kidding!  ;))
    That's actually quite a serious question.

Jarrett's solo improvisations quite often sound like classical/composed music rather than jazz, and the jazz police have taken him to task for that.
  • Those bloody jazz police! The last one I saw looked like he was 12

:))

But, yes an interesting question.  One I have no answer for.  Most people I would suggest would say any music with a swing type beat and using horns and drums to be jazz.  In the same way that guitar based music with a solid drum behind it would qualify as rock music and lots of violins, cellos, French horns and kettle drums would be classical. And for a quick definition I think that's about right - we all know what Dave means by the categories he's created for music.

But there's a multitude of grey areas which is the difficult part of the question.

• @Uglymusic

Robert Wyatt?

As in:

Is it worth it?

A new winter coat and shoes for the wife

And a bicycle on the boy's birthday

It's just a rumour that was spread around town

By the women and children

Soon we'll be shipbuilding

• That's the man! The hairy one in the wheelchair, not the self-important hubby of Diana Krall (I believe).
  • Nothing wrong with Declan MacManus, he's a good lad.  And yes he is Mr. Krall

I've got Nothing Can Stop Us where he does an "interesting" cover of Strange Fruit.
  • Robert Wyatt is one of my all-time musical idols; Declan is OK, but seldom inspires (IMO).

I like that "interesting" cover of Strange Fruit!

On the latest is an "interesting" cover of What a Wonderful World. Did you hear it at the show?
  • I like Wyatt but not to idol status.  I saw Declan supporting Dylan in the 90s - double whammy for me.  I'm sure it was that gig where Dylan did a cover of the Clash song London Calling - now that was interesting!  As an encore they both did Watchtower - brilliant.

I like his Strange Fruit as well.  Didn't hear him at the show, no.  I'll have to find the album.

This is a thread on it's own - "interesting covers"
  • Cool.

I think we possibly need a Miscellaneous category for that and similar stuff. 

In fact, I'll set it up in a few moments.
  • whooooops! I put it in Classifieds CD and LP before I read the Classifieds but.

D'oh.

Hope you can move it.
  • No probs. It is done

Classifieds is now For sale - much clearer, I think.
  • Ta much - I'll have to look as to how that's done.

Yup, For Sale is better
  • Set up new category and make sure the permissions are right.

Then click on Edit on the first post of the Discussion you want to move, and use the pull-down menu select the new category. Done!
  • I can't get on with most of Declan's newer work tbh - his best of compilation has some really interesting moods on it.

I absolutely adored his album with Allain Toussaint - 'The River in Reverse', one of my all time faves - and I also like the collaboration with Bacharach....so don't listen to anything I say!

:-@
  • I enjoyed the Bacharach album as well.  But I prefer his early angry, punky stuff.
  • I enjoyed the Bacharach album as well.  But I prefer his early angry, punky stuff.
    Yeah. If I must listen to the man, the early stuff is best.
  • i completely agree with uglymusic , Robert Wyatt is one of the genius of contemprary music ., ive discovered him with ROCK BOTTOM then i ve heard THIRD of soft machine , amazing ...

He also collaborated in recent times with a italian singer , Cristina Dona' ,

enjoy

and look at this

, shiver!

ciao!
    s.
  • Wow! Thanks Sergio

I can find one track that Wyatt collaborated with Cristina Dona. Is there an album, by any chance?

I'd completely forgotten about The Wind of Change. Fantastic stuff!
  • Hi Ugly , you're welcome , about dona album , is just a cd singles with 4 tracks , R.Wyatt plays the horn in "goccia2 , here some infos :

http://www.rockit.it/album/907/cristina-dona-goccia-cd-single

unfortunately is in italian language ,
    yep , the wind of change is also one of the tunes i love ! Also the videoclip was amazing , i remember it when i was a young kid , 8 or 9 years old ...and i ve discovered now hat in the video there are also  two component of the SPECIALS , awesome!
    ciao

• It's great to see them dancing around Trafalgar Square in front of South Africa house.

There used to be a 24/7 protest outside South Africa House. I always used to stop for a chat or to sign a petition, or give them some money for a coffee or something. Anyway, one icy afternoon I'd just stopped to talk to the protesters, turned round and slipped, fell and dislocated my shoulder. Apartheid's revenge, I called it 
    :-)
  • edited March 2011
    Rick Smith 'Bungalow With Stairs'
    Limited edition available only from underworldlive.com together with the exhibition catalogue from Karl Hyde’s recent exhibition in Tokyo: 'What’s going on in your Head when you’re Dancing', only a few copies left at the moment (£30).

After Underworld's very disappointing 2010 album 'Barking', which was bland europop and didn't sound like Underworld's dark indie tinged techno. Rick Smith's ambient album for Karl Hyde's exhibition was a compelte contrast, beautiful, gentle and full of feeling.

Other than that album I can't say that much from 2010 impressed me at all, but perhaps I will find some other releases in the coming years.
  • You could always start a 2011 thread for the best of this year, so far. Just a thought.
  • That's funny. I always have a need to hear what's happening and being released now. To me, this is where the real life is. 

As much as I love Coltrane, Mingus, Monk and the rest, and continue investigating the stuff I haven't heard yet, their's is a historical music, made in and of their time. I want to hear what the world in 2010 is causing people to create.
    Maybe you should get yourself to some live gigs....
  • Live Dates 2 on vinyl