Does extra RAM improve sound?

edited March 2011 in Digital
I've just upgraded my Mac Mini's RAM from 2GB to 8GB and I'm convinced I'm hearing better sound quality (deeper - more controlled bass and greater 'clarity').

Am I imagining things? I'm using bare iTunes with the Young set to 384 until the firmware fix is ready.

I only went for bigger RAM so I can have bigger playlists loaded into RAM in Amarra......

Comments

• I'd be surprised if you'd hear much with iTunes, but if you're using an app that holds files in RAM for playback, then no surprise.
  • as I thought...... a possible placebo effect. I don't want to swap back to compare .....
  • But I may well be wrong. Have a look at what's happening to RAM usage using the Activity Monitor app in the Utilities folder.
  • According to Usage, no. But Usage doesn't know everything . . .

• I see a lot of peeps are putting 8gb RAM into slightly older minis (mine is 2009), though I thought they only supported 4gb. I've just googled it & seen that any intel mini with the DDR3 RAM can support 8gb.

Any suggestions on good value RAM? I've bought Kingston modules from DABS.com before, but if anyone knows of a better/cheaper supplier then I'm all ears.

Also - as I'm here - what suggestions have you for a nice little SSD?
  • I've always bought RAM from crucial.com. I don't know how they compare price-wise to your preferred Jamaican alternative :-)

Jason recommended OCZ SSDs to me. I bought a 32GB one for about £45. But those do not seem to be available. May be worth Googling.
  • Thanks Dave - the 30gb SSD is about £60, the 60 is closer to £90. I thought I remembered the 'vertex' name.

RAM is just RAM I suppose, so unless anyone educates me to the contrary I shall just get good quality budget spec gear.
  • RAM isn't just RAM, so I wouldn't buy the cheapest. But Kingston and Crucial have good reputations. 
  • I think I got Kingston last time. I've not heard of crucial before - I will check them out. Thanks!
  • I use 4gb because that is the minimum to use the latest version of Pure Music.  Beyond that however I don't think really improves things.

Thanks
    Bill