An all-too-short interview with Keith Jarrett

For me, the greatest living musician. I'm always interested in hearing or reading what he has to say.

Comments

• For some reason, I found it really gratifying to hear him talk about the unconscious origin of his creativity. That "his" job when playing is to get out of the way of the connection between his unconscious and his hands.
    Above all came across like a nice guy. Which I'm ashamed to say, surprised me I was expecting some pretentious jazzer.
  • He has talked a lot about acting as a conduit for music (to paraphrase him), and has written about that aspect of his music (the universe's music?) in/on some of his albums. It's a very humble way of seeing his art IMO.

If you liked what Jarrett had to say, I can recommend a longer(!) interview with fellow pianist, Abdullah Ibrahim, which I don't think I posted here on Chews. He has another kind of spiritual view of life, and also has some fascinating things to say about South Africa (where he was born) being at the dividing line between east and west.

• uglymusic said:
    He has talked a lot about acting as a conduit for music (to paraphrase him), and has written about that aspect of his music (the universe's music?) in/on some of his albums. It's a very humble way of seeing his art IMO.
    I desperately resisted putting it in that way. As I don't believe "music" exists in that sense.
    But yes, there is a humility to how he talks about his own creative processes.