Hello all

Hi all,

I am Paul (known as PaulD and pjdowns on various other forums).

I've been interested in hifi since I was a teenager and am approaching the big 40 now.

My system currently comprises:

Cambridge Audio CXC - CD Transport
Beresford Caiman II - DAC
Rega RP3, RB303, Audio Technica AT120E - Turntable, Arm & Cartridge
Exposure XVII - Pre Amp
Exposure XVIII - Power Amp
Rega Fono - Phono Amp
Focal Electra 1028 Be - Loudspeakers
Audiophile BASE StarBase - Stand
Beresford, Cable Talk, Exposure, MCRU, Rega, Tellurium Q & TCI - Cables

I also own a Naim NDX but will be selling that shortly as I prefer the sound of the Cambridge CXC/Beresford combo.

I live in Berkshire, UK with my wifey Christina and our newborn (4 weeks old) son called Leo.

Look forward to getting to know you all.

Comments

  • Hi Paul

    And Welcome to Chews, home of hi-fi's lunatic fringe :-) 

    I'm Dave. I'm the one who pays the hosting ;-)

    Do I spy John Farlowe-era Exposures? I've never owned them, but I had a good mate who went from integrateds up to (I think) bi-amped pre- powers, so I know them very well. Nice amps.

    Back in the day, I owned a Cambridge CD transport which I used with a number of DACs. 

    Say hi to Christina and Leo. I hope his musical taste is coming on well.
  • Hi Paul,
    Welcome!
    Congratulations on the new arrival.
    An excellent time to be touching base with the hifi. :-)
    Awesome speakers! Heard them (or similar) at a show once. I do like Focals.
    ...and I notice some Wonfor wires tucked away at the end there. So we'll let you in. ;-)
  • Another Exposure fan, excellent. I love the Farlowe stuff ( no real experience of Brady era). Having said that I preferred the Claymore to the X or XV.
    The pre power ranges are superb though. Back then they were also incredibly good value new, now the same second hand but I see the values have spiked recently.
    Back in my single days I had a big active set up, glorious!
  • OK CJ66 make you mind up he he, the Exposure early kit was very good he like me liked KISS as a philosophy, but I changed I prefer Warm Hugs and A Class  
  • I may have to agree Colin. I have a DIY Aclass pre that is beguiling and a power to go with it, which although good I am less pleased with ( more power needed). Unfortunately I have not heard any of yours or had the time to put into a kit ( if even still available).
    One day.....
  • cj66 said:
    I may have to agree Colin. I have a DIY Aclass pre that is beguiling and a power to go with it, which although good I am less pleased with ( more power needed). Unfortunately I have not heard any of yours or had the time to put into a kit ( if even still available). One day.....
    I believe they are ;-)
  • And bigger one's

  • Thanks for the warm welcome chaps, looks like a nice place you all have here, looking forward to getting acquainted with you all.
  • Hi Paul about time you came here with nutters
  • Nutters? We haven't seen him for a few months  :O)
  • Hi all, sorry I have been quiet, I am back now... too busy with our new born (well 4 months now) boy, Leo

    Who's nutters, Colin? confused.
  • I have recently (today) upgraded the DAC to a Beresford Caiman SEG which is a nice upgrade.

    Now to look at the amplification (if I get any time).
  • PaulD said:
    I have recently (today) upgraded the DAC to a Beresford Caiman SEG which is a nice upgrade.

    Now to look at the amplification (if I get any time).
    What would you say are the main differences between the mk2 and the SEG...?
  • The SEG has more of everything, broader soundstage, deeper and tighter bass and a smoother top end, but with even more detail. Very good bit of kit as far as I’m concerned :)
  • It's a while since I've heard a Beresford. Glad to hear he's still doing his stuff.
  • Hi Paul, I've just noticed you here! How's that SEG coming along?
  • uglymusic said:
    It's a while since I've heard a Beresford. Glad to hear he's still doing his stuff.
    The early Beresford DAC's were great, but I have to say that the SEG is so far by far Stan's crowning glory. It's a very good bit of kit for not a lot of outlay.
  • I was trying to find a full spec. on this but failed.
    Does it handle all the latest sampling rates and formats?
    I have a brilliant DAC now but it can't manage the really high res stuff of which I have a small but growing collection of.
    Curiosity is most definitely piqued.
  • edited January 15
    cj66 said:
    I was trying to find a full spec. on this but failed.
    Does it handle all the latest sampling rates and formats?
    I have a brilliant DAC now but it can't manage the really high res stuff of which I have a small but growing collection of.
    Curiosity is most definitely piqued.
    Beresford really took off after the Caiman,  which was the last one I owned. But that was as good as my old Theta which I think you heard.

    Edit: Sorry, thought you were Dave!


    PaulD
     said:
    Hi all, sorry I have been quiet, I am back now... too busy with our new born (well 4 months now) boy, Leo

    That is really great to hear! Congratulations to you all.
  • Alan said:

    PaulD
     said:
    Hi all, sorry I have been quiet, I am back now... too busy with our new born (well 4 months now) boy, Leo

    That is really great to hear! Congratulations to you all.
    Well said Alan.
    I feel terrible for not commenting on that before now.

    Yes Paul! Congratulations. Make the most of these times. :-)
Sign In or Register to comment.