BTW. Kenny G is not on this list 
:D

Comments

• Michael Brecker
    Bob Berg
    Eric Marienthal
    Michael Brecker
    oh...and Michael Brecker. :)
  • You like Michael Brecker, then? Just got that inkling ;-)
  • edited March 2011
    You like Michael Brecker, then? Just got that inkling ;-)
    A teensy bit. ;)

I just adore his sound - no one since nor before has, for me, made a Tenor sing like he could. Sure there have been those who one might consider more ground-breaking, milestones for their generation, but MB was the consummate master of his instrument and so sadly missed. I was lucky to see him performing live a couple of times and was mesmerised.

A few others who I've heard live in the jazz pubs/clubs in London...

Nelson Rangell
    Dave O'Higgins
    Mornington Lockett
  • Yeah, I saw MB at venues from the Barbican downwards, including in a marquee at the Bracknell Jazz Festival and with the Brecker Brothers in a tiny bar in a hotel in Boston - the story is that someone cocked up the booking and the Breckers didn't realise until after the contract was signed. I had connections in the music business who managed to get tickets for the gig while I was visiting.

They played the gig, but not without making some verbal side-swipes at the club's management!

I prefer his late jazz-oriented work to his fusion stuff, but then I would, wouldn't I?
  • I'd totally agree with your opinion on MB's jazz vs fusion - for me he never sounded comfortable with the fusion stuff. His first album is just awesome as a showpiece of Tenor Saxophone mastery - and a fabulous thing for showing off (or totally destroying) a hifi system. Rarely a week goes by when I don't play it...on vinyl of course. ;)
  • I'm so sorry. Mine's on CD :-(
  • Any room for Mr C Parker or Sonny Rollins ?

Oh and not sure if anyone has mentioned Michael Brecker !!!

• As a Coltrane nut, there is never room for Sonny Rollins  :-D
  • Coleman Hawkins - for that raunchy buzzy sound.

I like Coltrane with Miles, and Monk, and the reltively unknown Kevin Flanagan from Tommy Chase's band in the 80s.

I rather like Dick Parry's two solos with Pink Floyd in the 70's too.
  • I like Coltrane and Adderley myself

• Is David Sanborn considered as heretic as KennyG?
    Maybe it's going to be labelled as a guilty pleasure, but I do like a lot of his output.
    Sanborn that is, Not G.
    Matt.
  • To me, no. Sanborn is OK. But what do I know about musical taste? :-)

May I recommend a certain Miles album? :-)

May I recommend a certain Miles album? :-)
    Please do Dave but there is a high probability that I might already have it  :)
  • I suspect you might, too ;-)
  • How could I forget David Jackson of Van Der Graaf Generator, sadly no longer with them, but still very individual player.