Mac Mini

edited March 2011 in Digital
Well, I've had my Mini for about 8 weeks and today after ripping disc number 1,000 ish, one of the felt strips attached to the cd slot loading CD drive was pushed out with a CD when it auto ejected.....

A trip to the genius bar me thinks...... Anyone else experienced this issue ?

Comments

• No, but I use an old PC with cheap, easily interchangeable drives for ripping as swapping a burnt-out drive in a mini is both fiddly and expensive (I know you haven't got as far as burning out your drive).

Some people recommend using an external CD drive for large-scale ripping to save getting problems with the internal drive. 

Apple are generally very good when it comes to sorting stuff out, and you're within the 90 days' full-service period, so I imagine they won't bat an eyelid. AppleCare is also well worth the outlay, IMO. But most of my Macs are used for business, so my calculations may be different from others.

Only partially relevant ramblings over :-)
  • Well..... Apparently the 3 'Genius' lads at Apple have never seen this fault before. All will be sorted in a week though and free of charge so not doom and gloom.

Perhaps the new Young drivers will be ready for when I get it back !?!
  • FOC is good. The week is less so, I guess.
  • Agree that their after-sales service is very good & that the care package is worth having.
    I've not experienced this issue with my mac-mini, so maybe it is a rare occurence.
    I'm sure it will come back all OK.
    Matt.
  • Hi Guys

First post here so please bear with me.  I use a Mac Mini exclusively for home theater duties and computer audio. Zero problems with it but don't ever use its DVD drive unless I have to - do all my ripping on my main computer - much easier that way.  I can also get artwork easier as well.

Thanks
    Bill
  • Bill - do you watch DVDs from the mini? I want to avoid another box (DVD player) in the lounge if possible, but I'm not over the moon with the mini's DVD replay. I'm not altogether surprised by this, but I wonder if I need to devote a little attention to setup & configuration. I use VLC media player.
  • Hi Alan

Ive tried to get on with the dvd replay on the mac mini myself but did not like it, I use an old sony dvd player hooked upto the dacmagic via spdif. If there is a better player on the mac than the inbuilt one then I too would be interested.

Lee

• FWIW, I use a standalone Blu-ray player for my DVDs.
  • Hi Allan

Yes I watch DVD's, but rip it on my main computer first.  I try to get as much on my HDD as possible.

Thanks
    Bill
  • Agree with Dave, use an old drive or spend £30 on a decent external one if ripping a large library.
    I doubt the internal laptop drives (as used in the mini) are up to handling such constant battering.

Once the existing library has been ripped its less of an issue.