Hi all!

Hi all, :)

I am a hifi/music lover from Gouda, aka cheese city in Holland. My good friend Colin Wonfor suggested me to sign up here. Started to get interested in hifi when I was 11 years old. Now at the age of nearly 54, I decided to do a study involving valve amp design. Besides this and since I also love music, I have decided to take up drumming lessons in September.   B)

My current set consists of:
  • Magnum MP250 preamp
  • Etude power amp made by Colin
  • Marantz cd50se
  • Parasound DAC 1000 modified by Louis Raatjes of Artspeak
  • Bastanis Calypso loudspeakers
  • Thorens TD 160 / Origin Live Alliance arm / Nagaoka MP110 modified by Rob Spoelstra aka dr. Thorens
  • Links and loudspeaker cabling (silver) all by Artspeak

Hope to meet more audio friends here with whom I can talk about valve amps and design.

Regards from Holland,
Jeff  :)

Comments

• Hi Jeff

Welcome to Chews, the home of nutters with Colin gear :-)

• Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Chews indeed! You will fit right in...
  • edited May 2019
    Drumming is a very therapeutic hobby! Your neighbours may not agree though so get an electronic set so you can practice as much you like. Yes, acoustic sets are still more gratifying.
  • uglymusic said:
    Hi Jeff

Thanks, so, I have become a nutter as well, now? :-)
  • Alan said:
    Hi Jeff,

Welcome to Chews indeed! You will fit right in...
    Thanks, Alan. Looking forward to talking to and meeting new people.
  • cj66 said:
    Drumming is a very therapeutic hobby! Your neighbours may not agree though so get an electronic set so you can practice as much you like. Yes, acoustic sets are still more gratifying.
    Hi cj66,
    May I assume, you also play drums? If so, I could use some helpful advice, since I am newbie to this. I surely hope it's therapeutic: can surely use a way to get rid of the daily negativity. :-) Yes, actually, I am looking for an electronic set, don't want to annoy the neighbours.
  • Hi Jeff.
    Welcome!
    Weird speakers. Love that.
  • Welcome to Nutters Paradise Jeff
  • AntiCrap said:
    Welcome to Nutters Paradise Jeff
    Thanks Col! I feel very honoured to be a part of this.
  • Docfoster said:
    Hi Jeff.
    Welcome!
    Hi Doc, yes I agree about them speakers but I can assure they sound very open and musical.

https://i.postimg.cc/5yJzR0RY/Bastanis-Calypso.jpg

• jmack23 said:
    Docfoster said:
    Hi Jeff.
    Welcome!
    Hi Doc, yes I agree about them speakers but I can assure they sound very open and musical.

Understood. And never in doubt.
    I like “different” speakers!
  • jmack23 said:
    uglymusic said:
    Hi Jeff

Thanks, so, I have become a nutter as well, now? :-)
    Depends if you sell all your Colin gear! :-)
  • jmack23 said:
    Docfoster said:
    Hi Jeff.
    Welcome!

They look cool!
  • edited May 2019
    Re drumming.
    Get the basics right from the start. Master the main rudiments, single, double, triple drum rolls and paradiddles.
    Grip style, go for the one that suits you best or just copy your drumming idols.
    I started open handed, matched grip. For some daft reason I forced myself to change to cross handed, only to change back again later.
    Practice, practice, practice. Rudiments and drum along are best.
    Have fun.
    Don't be afraid to experiment or be different.
    I used to learn drum parts for popular songs and do them my own way with the band.
  • I heard Alan Brown play drums once in a studio, truly amazing, wish I could, but I  would lose a eye.