Passive Attenuator/Pre amp: EVA 2 LDR

Comments

• I hope the cables make a difference then. How many 'Maplins Bodge Connectors(TM)' did you have to use on each side? A single one, or was it a case of piggy-backing two together each side?
  • Hmmm....that's three clean windows then, to borrow a simile.
  • edited February 2011
    Phono/BNC <-> BNC/SMA male <-> SMA female/SMA female, would you believe?

They look pretty well made, so hopefully they're not doing too much nasty to the proceedings.

Ultimately, I'll have to think about getting someone to swap the SMA sockets on the monoblocks for phonos. Then I can have uninterrupted SSPs, rather than the SMA Sound Cords I have at the moment.

Edit: What is almost certainly messing up the proceedings are the ancient Audioquest cables I've pressed into service. Once they're out the way, I hope the detail and soundstage will return to where they were.
  • I've had a chance to listen some more, and the system is sounding flabby and what stereo image depth there is is falling behind the speakers.

Just giving up now and waiting for @Alan's SSPs.

Hopefully they'll do the trick.
  • Well, the system is sounding a great deal tighter and the stereo image is back.

I have a feeling the Eva needs some playing in. It sounded very bright earlier on in the evening, but sounds less so now. Maybe I'm getting used to it.

@Alan, would you say yours sounds brighter than the NVA passive?
  • Funnily enough, I think it loses just a little of the extreme top end texture - an affordable loss imo. As for everything else - there is just more of it I think. Don't forget mine was a run in, pre-loved example.

Apparently the benefit from a slightly beefier power supply (I don't see how - it's only LEDs after all) and mine was supplied with such. I don't know if the makers have cottoned on & supplied one from scratch? Bung a photo up Dave & I'll tell you if it's the same as mine - my camera is on the blink at the moment.

• My PSU is a wall wart with a European two-prong plug - again! I'm going to have to get hold of one of those adapters I'm using for the Young wall wart, as I'm back with a shaver adapter.

I'll post a pic sometime soon, as soon as I have some time.
  • edited February 2011
    Long story short:

I read on WW about uprated PSU s being beneficial for EVA, so I dropped the main poster a PM - he sent me a link for a cheap eBay power supply (an inline switcher rather than wall-wart) so I bought it on a whim, for the princely sum of some whole pounds. Nearly seven, in fact.

Anyhow, when I finally had a good look at this beautifully crafted gold-clad engineering marvel, I felt the PSU I already had seemed a better quality unit. When I reviewed the ad I had responeded to, I saw that my EVA already had an uprated PSU.

Even shorter: I'll post one to you. See if it makes a difference. My density is your gain.
  • Excellent. Thanks Alan.

Shall be looking out for the large wooden crate.
  • Nah - you can't fold wood! I'll be interested (and surprised TBH) if it makes a difference.
  • I plugged in the PSU you lent me this afternoon, and thought I could hear more focus and more feel in double bass, but I'm high on Tramadol, so who knows?
  • Well, you know what I'm going to suggest, don't you?
    @-)
  • I shudder to think  :O
  • Long story short:

I read on WW about uprated PSU s being beneficial for EVA, so I dropped the main poster a PM - he sent me a link for a cheap eBay power supply (an inline switcher rather than wall-wart) so I bought it on a whim, for the princely sum of some whole pounds. Nearly seven, in fact.

, when I finally Anyhowhad a good look at this beautifully crafted gold-clad engineering marvel, .

Alan interested in this power supply. Could you post the link?
    Many thanks
    Mervyn
  • Hi Mervyn,

I was sure I remembered you saying you would try one of these - I'm not going mad then! I'm afraid I lost the link when I cleared my inbox out, bit just get a 5a version of what you have. Send a PM to mr.me on wigwam & he'll help.

I don't really see how a power supply can make any difference whatsoever with an LED, bit apparently they can. According to the designer, very fine results have been achieved with a battery supply. You can read about that on the forum attached to his site (DIYParadise).

One other minor thing to note; the upgraded power supply I have seems a very much superior quality to the one I sent to Uglymusic. I'm not about to take the gear out of the rack again to check it all, but whilst it read the same on the side, the one I had seemed more solid. It says 'CB' on mine, which it doesn't on Dave's - that could be a reference to it being a 'CB' power supply. I don't know what that is other than it exists, and that Stanley Beresford experimented with them for his Caiman as they are the lowest ripple power supply one can easily get.
  • edited February 2011
    I'm lost at the moment, with all these PSU references, but it's just occurred to me that the KingRex PSU I'm using in my office system gives a good quality 12V output, and should be a prime candidate for seeing if the PSU is an issue or not.

Unless there's a facet to early conversations elsewhere that I'm unaware of.
  • Dunno - how many amperes does it chuck out? It doesn't need to be much - the upgraded supplies are only 5a.
  • edited February 2011
    OK, folks.

Eva plays very well with the KingRex PSU. So good, in fact, that I'm hearing details I haven't heard before, and any worries about bass extension when compared to the NVA Passive have been put out to grass.

A KingRex PSU is a significant investment, but I'm sorely tempted to just go and get another one.

Edit: Decision made. The system has all of its swagger back and more, without sacrificing the delicacy the Eva introduced. E-mail sent to Mark at Item Audio.
  • edited February 2011
    Nice one! It's always a relief when someone buys something you mentioned and then likes it!

Would you be so kind as to send that switcher I sent you to Mervyn if he wants it? If it offers any benefit that is.
  • Actually, you're doing well, what with the RR3s and the Eva.

The switcher may add something, so I'm quite happy to send it on to Mervyn - @Mervyn, let me know if you want me to send it your way.

@Alan. Do I owe you anything for postage? Sorry, I should have asked before.

While the switcher may do something, there's no doubt in my mind that the KingRex PSU does add something. But the price difference is big. 
  • Not at all. Consider it a get well present!

Can you put up a link to the exact PSU please? I'm toying with another tangent at the moment, and this is probably relevant information. More expensive nonsense!
    8-|
  • KingRex PSU, currently on special offer for £145, by the look of it.

What are you looking at, ATM?
  • I'll tell when I've decided to buy it/leave it!
    It is of course second hand, but it's also unusual in the UK.
    ;)

Thanks for the link!
  • I'll tell when I've decided to buy it/leave it!

It is of course second hand, but it's also unusual in the UK.

;)

Thanks for the link!
    The KingRex PSU is in stock at £145, if that's at all relevant.

I listened to my system for 8 hours solid today - 'cept for comfort breaks and comestible trips 
    ;)

It's really back on song, sucking me back into performances and not drawing attention to itself.
  • That's good to hear - you took a bit of a chance with EVA as I only compared it to a P90, not a Statement pre. I think I'll get that PSU tomorrow, as it's a cheaper option than my alternative, and I am having a serious pang of conscience over it! I must be responsible now or something...

http://www.hifiwigwam.com/showthread.php?50083-Myth-LDR-preamp-for-sale
  • 'that PSU', being the KingRex?

You can always come round here later in the week/early next and sample the goodness, if you want to make sure my drugs aren't interfering with my subjectivity. But that way, Mark may run out of his discounted PSUs, I suppose.

I don't think my Statement Pre is very different from a P90, BTW. RD said it would be worth me spending the £300(?) on stepped attenuators for it.
  • Yup - I think so. A visit would be fun, but you keep your pills to yourself...it would be hard to fit in f I'm honest, but I'll give you a shout if anything changes.
  • I hope you're as enthusiastic about the KingRex PSU as I am.

Give me a shout if things do change.
  • Just bought the KingRex PSU & what I hope is an appropriate DC patch lead - 2.3 - 2.1mm. I sent an email asking that they send the lead to fit the UD-01 and the power supply in case I got that wrong.
  • Scary! I hope it works for you.

I thought it was the same at each end. Mark will sort you out though.

BTW, when are you going to upgrade 'Ears'? 
    :-)

• BTW, when are you going to upgrade 'Ears'? 
    :-)
    That is illogical - I already have 'reference' ears. See my avatar!

In return I infer that you have to do crossword puzzles in pencil because you make frequent errors which you must erase.
    (nasty Vulcan insult)
  • Don't they sound a little spiky?  \:D/
  • Your immediate female ancestor belonged to the Cricetinae subfamily of rodents, and your immediate male ancestor was redolent of Sambucus nigra.

Leave this vicinity immediately, or I will feel compelled to emit a
    malodorous gaseous discharge from my lower intestine towards you.

(Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. I fart in your general direction).

>-)
  • You're just weird sometimes, Mr Brown  :O ^:)^ :)
  • I have it on good authority (my Spidey Sense) that my PSU and lead have departed oop norf and should be here tomorrow.

Spidey Sense = Web mail, of course 
    :-D
  • I got the same tingly email. I hope the DC cable is correct now! Ah well, can always be swapped.
  • I'm sure it will be OK if you e-mailed Mark with what you're doing with it. He just needs to supply the same as to me.
  • I asked for one that works between the PSU & the UD-01. I hope that's only one cable!
  • That's what I have here. I unplugged it from the UD-01 and plugged it into the Eva.

Simples!
  • That's what I have here. I unplugged it from the UD-01 and plugged it into the Eva.

Simples!

• Yo. Mr Brown. My PSU and cable have arrived.

How about yours? Does the cable fit?
  • It came - I hope to try it all tonight.
    :-ss
  • Put your cricket box on and plug it all in. You'll be safe!
  • Found it!

I got the PSU in late last night - no mean feat with the cabinet the way it is now. I've had no chance for a listen yet, nor will I for a couple of days due to general busyness - so don't worry if I don't say anything about it for a few days.
  • How can you stand the suspenders?  :/ :O :-D
  • Well, I had a listen today for all of thirty seconds - I liked it! The difference wasn't subtle, but I had hum! I suppose the power cable crossing the I/C cables wasn't so bright...

I re-routed all the cables & swapped things around - and got Howl instead!!! I broke an SSP again! So I have tp go back into theatre to operate, goodness knows when! I'll be lucky to get it working by early next week the way this weekend is looking!

#-o
  • That's extremely frustrating.

I think that the hum was possibly due to an SSP on the way to being broken. My broken one causes hum.

I think the difference is extremely unsubtle, too. I think the KR PSU is very good. I just wish they did an 18V one which would drive the Young.
  • I thought that. What they need is an email from a former industry heavyweight reviewer suggesting just that.
    O:)
  • I'll have no jibes against my waistline  X(

I did mention it to Mark the other day, when he said that KR made lower voltage versions, although I didn't say what the specific application was.