Apple McMini - Off With It's Head!

edited April 2011 in Digital
I use a 2009 MACmini (v.3.1), with the TV as monitor and bluetooth keyboard & mouse. I now have an el cheapo iTouch 2G from eBay and quite fancy doing away with some paraphernalia for simple listening sessions - digital audio is supposed to be partly about convenience after all.

Is it possible to use the iTouch as a monitor and a full user interface with the mini, as 'headless operation' implies, or do I content myself with limited functionality? Bear in mind I only require access to iTunes really - but internet, DVD & other simple functions would be snazzy if possible. (I am hoping that Decibel will run with iTunes if I install the free script on the Decibel download site - I know it works 'cos Dave told me).

Am I fine with the free 'Remote' App, or do I splash out on the 'Rowmote' App? Actually, I just looked at 'Rowmote Pro' and it looks like it can do almost everything - for the non-audiophile sum of £2.99!

(there are also 'iWavit' apps which look a little compromised next to the 'Rowmote' Apps)

A few thoughts would be appreciated - useful even, if they have any bearing on my questions! I am a slow mover on things like this, sometime over the weekend I shall probably recover my iTunes login details in preparation for a purchase. If I get time after watching the Masters Golf.

Comments

• Is that the sound of a can of worms opening I hear?  :-D
  • Let's see what I know and can help you with.
    • Remote controls iTunes, but I've never tried to run any scripts with it
    • I've never used Rowmote, so can't help you with that
    • I've never even heard of iWavit. Sorry again
    • I use my Mac laptop to control my Mac audio server using screen sharing. You could use your Windows laptop to do the same thing using VNC or something similar. I'm sure Jason can supply the answer straight off if he's about. Otherwise, I'll try to do some Googling later
    • Controlling one machine from another will give you full control over Decibel
    HTH
  • Thanks you Dave - I just looked at remote in a little more detail, and provided it runs decibel with that script it will be fine - very basic but fine.

I am tempted to try Rowmote Pro, after those accusations that I never splash the cash! £2.99 is a bit heavy though...
  • The script runs Decibel, but then you won't have any control over it.
  • Ah - I thought decibel would perform whatever command I gave iTunes.
  • I don't think so. I've been trying to find out if there's any way of controlling Decibel directly, but unlike other apps, it doesn't seem to be designed that way.
  • Nope. I've just checked. The script does not enable iTunes to control Decibel, except for running Decibel, if Decibel isn't already running.
  • Well, thanks for checking. I will probably try Rowmote and see what happens.

Incidentally, I just bought 8gb of Crucial RAM for £55 delivered.
  • I'd be interested in seeing if Rowmote does it for you.

Oh no, Alan's chequebook has been blinded by daylight! 
    :-D
  • Have you seen this thread on CA, Maestro?
  • Thanks, dave. Looks interesting but clunky. I think rowmote is worth a look before learning to do all that other jazz.
  • edited April 2011
    I use iTap VNC on my iPhone. Works great as a screen share......
  • How're you getting on Alan?
  • I have downloaded mocha vnc on recommendation, but I can't yet get it work on the windows lappy. A bit more research is needed, and as for MAC, I noticed some more setting up yo do, which I haven't gotten around to yet.
  • Anything I can help you with Mac-wise?
  • edited April 2011
    No, I've eaten, thank you!

:ar!

You will be the first person I badger if it doesn't go to plan though!
  • You will be the first person I badger if it doesn't all go to plan though, mr IT support guru..
  • No, I've eaten, thank you!

:ar!

You will be the first person I badger if it doesn't go to plan though!
    You are a bad man. I'll set Jamie Oliver on you  [-X
  • Well, it works but it is very clunky. The biggest bugbear is the slow - sometimes non-existent screen refresh rate. This is almost Impossible to manage when scrolling through my iTunes library.

I suspect the mac is the problem in spite of my non-'N' network, as it has always been only a quarter the speed of my laptops over the network.