Do DC power cables make a difference ?

edited April 2011 in Systems
Having just acquired a new DC cable from Mark at Item Audio my answer is an unequivocal yes. Not earth shattering but a definitive improvement and definitely worthwhile for £20 or so.
Audible improvements in low level detail and bass and more dynamics with a forward projection of the soundstage. Stereo is tighter and separation marginally iimproved. In all just a better more focused sound that just adds to the music.
For all you guys with Youngs/Evas I would suggest you try out a cable betwixt power supply and unit - you might be surprised !

Comments

• I have one of these between my kingrex & Eva, and I don't see why it should have made any difference-but it did. I'm glad it's not just me, Mervyn!
    As for the DAC, it might be worth a try I suppose, but I think I recall reading that Marco used an unusual twin pin plug on the end of the Young cable.
  • Yep. I've been using Mark's DC cables for around a year. Rather worryingly, they do seem to do something positive :-)
  • My experience is any good cable makes a difference from subtle to well - profound.  It's really hard to predict however exactly which it will be.  Before I got my current system I was a cable nay sayer - I didn't say they didn't make any difference (I can't understand people that say that - it really is rather inconsiderate of people that say they do) but I had not heard any.  Now I regularly hear differences - some quite profound.  I think it has to do with how transparent you system is - especially speakers.

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited April 2011
    The mains (AC) cable part of mine and hugo's room at the bake-off show provided some of the biggest surprises...perhaps like others in ths thread i wasn't expecting to hear much difference.

http://thelondonbakeoffshow.110mb.com/index.php?p=1_5_Cables-and-mains-room

Although, I didn't have the time at the show to decide which differences I preferred.

I've never experimented with DC cables.
  • Those using external power supplies with the Young should note the most important thing is to keep the cable as short as possible, if you have one or mine or Teddy's the cable more than thick enough.
  • Why is short better Simon ?

• In my experience, shorter length does not make any difference, but the construction and type of cable does matter - a cheap bit of wire from Maplin will be relatively poor irrespective of length (yes, I have tried some).  A simple twisted pair cable using reasonably inexpensive Kimber TCSS is about the best that I've found; the worst being a shielded Belden silver/PTFE cable that simply strangled the music.  Getting rid of the little DC plug connectors is also more important than length.  Another factor to consider is that the positioning of the PSU is very important, so if that means a longer cable to site it properly, the benefits will totally obliterate any theoretical penalty from a longer bit of wire.
  • Merv, Because it costs less. ;-)

There's nothing to be gained from messing about with power cables, and no evidential proof to back up the claims, theres no such thing as cable upgrades when you buy  £1,000,000 of tunnelling electron microscope from Siemens- if these things worked they would exist in other fields.
  • I'm with Si there... But can only refer to a .5m flow cytometer, a .4m confocal microscope, and a .4m O2 controlled irradiation cabinet/incubator. Despite their precision, these things are surely held back (NOT) by the cheap power cables.
  • I find that argumentation impossible to argue with Si & Andy. I cannot explain why there appears to be a difference with different cables between my KingRex supply & EVA.
  • Merv, Because it costs less. ;-)

There's nothing to be gained from messing about with power cables, and no evidential proof to back up the claims, theres no such thing as cable upgrades when you buy  £1,000,000 of tunnelling electron microscope from Siemens- if these things worked they would exist in other fields.
    My ears are as far as I am concerned evidential proof. Not all hi-fi changes can be measured definitively imho.
  • edited April 2011
    I am sorry but audible differences do exist between power cables if your system is resolving enough.  I have clearly heard them and others have as well eg with the Tranquility DAC being fed with a Mac Mini you can clearly hear differences in the cable feeding both the Mini and Tranquility - its most likely caused by stuff from the Mini switching power supply being injected into the DAC because it eliminates a slight trace of coldness which is the kind of sound you get from that sort of thing.  If you plug the Mac Mini into the same power conditioner as the Tranquility you get that coldness really bad for that reason. If the difference is worth the money is another matter but they exist.  One reason they work is they are often shielded and prevent radiation being re-injected into the system - no vodoo physics or anything like that - just simple common sense.

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited April 2011
    If your Tranquility dac has dodgy connections in the power supply that poorly grip certain plugs, then so be it. Or If you are claiming that active filtration, or passive filtration with appropriately designed filters also makes a difference then yes of course it can, but just swapping one length of copper for another with plugs at both ends for another- nope no way, no how.

Likewise all the shielding in the world, won't make one bit of difference if you plug a cable into the same 4 way as a switch mode device, that noise in then on the mains and only filtration, not shielding, can make a difference to that

Nice to hear the old, if your system is resolving enough card being rolled out. It's not that my system isn't resolving enough to hear any differences that you claim exist, it's just that all the components are designed correctly in the first place so no band aids are required to correct for faulty sockets and poorly designed power supplies with inadequate PSRR.

I love the idea of 'radiation' being picked up by mains leads, maybe by your tone arm wire, where the signal is then amplified some 1000-1500 times, but not by your power leads where the Ac signal, is rectified, smoothed, filtered and regulated by some -70 to -100db before being used to drive the output stage of your amps.  Think about it, the filtration and regulation of your incoming power supply is likely -80db, your phonostage 'might' have +60db of gain. One can pick up radiation, one most certainly can't- seeing as the effects are some 120db different (ie the effect of 'radiation' that can be passed on via your power supply to your amps is more than 10,000 times smaller than that picked up and passed on by your tonearm wires.) 

Radiation is a none issue with any cable carrying signal at the volt, rather than microvolt, level and especially those which are subject to -70 to -100db of active filtration as is the case with AC inputs.
  • Gentle reminder...
    Some Interesting points of view and points of information being clearly stated fellas.
    Please make every effort to keep things civil while making them.
    :-)
  • edited April 2011
    As interesting as a technical discussion would be on how different cables sound different I have participated in them before and it really gets nowhere fast.  I have pointed out some reasons how it would be possible but really the proof of the pudding is in the eating, and many people including myself hear a difference.  Just because you can't readily isolate the reason for something does not mean anyone is claiming voodoo physics or anything like that is involved - it simply means people have not investigated it thoroughly.  The real answer is have a listen for yourself and make up your own mind - I have and they certainly do make a difference.  Do it blind if you like to avoid any wishful thinking (I have done that once and a difference was heard).

It's like the arguments you see about different bit perfect players sounding the same.  Some people claim it impossible (I don't agree with that but that is another issue) yet people can pick the difference double blind. You would think that would be enough to convince the skeptics something is going on - but no instead of saying this needs to be investigated a bit further they claim something was wrong with the double blind test.  I have even had people call me a downright lier even when an electrical engineer explained how it is possible for differences to occur.  The reason is they can't get over the idea more travels down a USB cable than ones and zeroes even after an expert explained how that is a simplification of what is going on.  It's the same with power cables IMHO. 

Thanks
    Bill
  • edited April 2011
    Doc, thanks for ruining the circular closure of my argument by editing it.

The point of the last line was that what may appear as 'common sense' is actually fantastical nonsense when placed under any scrutiny and was key to closing the loop of the argument as presented.

Bhobba, do you have any links to these double blind trials or are they just of the 'me and my mates' variety?
  • Si,

I am entirely at ease with the point you are making. And, I think your post as a whole continues to make your point very clearly without the deleted sentence.
    The mod's here are keen that we should have lively and respectful debate on audiochews. Thankfully, you and others are making the debate lively. I and the mod's will continue to do the minimum necessary to keep things respectful.

Ben
  • Simon

I assume you have tried Mark's cables and are therefore in a position to comment on this specific item ?

My lugholes do not 'fantastical nonsense' - except when on copious amounts of vino rosso !!

• Mervyn, 
             As far as I can tell he sells wire with plugs at either end, they use no ferrites, passive filters or active filtration. I don't need to try them, even if they were shielded with 6 foot of lead there would make no difference to the DC reaching the other end of the wire, not unless you share a flat with several KW of radio broadcasting equipment.

The PSRR of the Young internal power supply is exceptionally good the higher you go, due to its use of switching regs it has to be, the area where it could be better is in the audible frequency range, exactly where cable shielding had zero effect.

I'm glad you like your cables.

• Simon. I like Mark's DC cables, too - although I haven't tried one on the Young. The important thing, as far as I'm concerned, is that you're happy to let us get on with it. Likewise, I'm very happy to let you use your meters.

Gawd. Everyone's so blinkin' happy this afternoon :-)
  • We make no big claims for our DC wires, but they do have ferrites, and we have chosen the wire and connectors as carefully as possible. We also screen them. Customers seems to persist in telling us they sound better, although myself I would only claim the improvement to be subtle.

Never say never, eh?
  • Ferrites- there you go a genuine reason for potential improvements.
  • Hello Chaps new to the Audiochews I would like to add my 2 penneth, I use Music Works Mains cables and I bought them because I was given a blind test and the difference was obvious,basically the music was just more enjoyable,if someone believes the power goes in one end and comes out the other fine,but I can assure you it's audibly detectable. regards Al
  • Hi Al

Thanks for your contribution. Don't forget to tell us some more about yourself, your rig and your musical likes and dislikes.
  • edited May 2011
    Hello Al,

This particular cable we have tried (and kept) is cryo treated and has ferrites on it, but there is no consensus on what actually causes the improvements. Simon has posted that the 'ferrets' are the only relevant issue here, I have no real knowledge with which to challenge that assertion.

Actually I don't feel a need to challenge it either - I suppose I don't really mind that I don't understand a lot of hifi stuff anymore. I do hear the difference though.

For whatever reason these little cables do sound pretty fine (only about £20).
  • Hi Fellas give you a brief background, many years ago I worked at Bespoke Audio, Stockport with Albert and Barry, we liked to think we sold music, not boxes and we were willing to experiment with all sorts of things to do with Hi-Fi, I was also was involved in the conception of the now legendary Albarry M408 power amps, I spent many years involved in the Hi-Fi industry and fortunately I've heard many different things over the years, Hi-Fi is still my hobby and I have an open mind to new ideas.
    My system is Trio LO7D t/table, Dynavector 10x5 cartridge among others,Spectral DMC 12 Pre-amp, Spectral interconnects, Albarry M408 Mono-blocs, Allison 3 speakers, Chord Rumour speaker cable, all mains leads and mains block are Music Works and though there are no "ferrets" involved, they are cryogenically treated, table and stands are Quadraspire or Music Works Acrylic.
    Now whether I understand the science of cryogenically treated stuff is irrellevant, I've heard what it can do and I like it, so I bought it,if someone is willing to pooh-pooh the idea because they THINK it won't work without giving it a chance, is sad, surely having an open mind and be willing to be proved wrong is more conducive to progress. enjoy your music regards Al
  • +1.

Great sentiment Al, I for one will not be pooh-poohing anyone's gear that they have carefully auditioned & selected.

I do understand the backlash against these 'leftfield' audio products & treatments though, as there seem to be some quite extra-ordinary claims made for what appears to be rubbish.... The UK HiFi forum collective as a whole seems to pretty militant in it's "Foo-Bashing" counter-arguments, but it appears many feel they have been ripped off & mislead over the years and are pretty resentful.

Which in a perverse way underscores the point you are making - if you can hear it & you like it - buy it.

If, on the the other hand, you don't hear it, don't buy it because someone else says it's good. Perhaps that is the root of the problem.

All opinions are respected here on AudioChews.
  • It's pretty simple to test whether it actually sounds any different or if you just think it does.

You record and digitise the analogue output of say your dac/cd player, and compare one version with standard mains lead and another version recorded using a 'better' mains lead. Then you simply null the files, (invert one of them and subtract it from the other). What you are left with is the difference in the two tracks and therefore any differences you can hear come from the cables you've swapped.

If you can do this and you do end up with two files that don't null 100% then come back and show us. I've never seen it happen, but who knows, maybe the Musicworks block can perform that trick.

There's no reason not to buy something that you think sounds different/better, but it might be sensible to at least check that you aren't quite literally 'hearing things' before you shell out hundreds on a bit of perspex and some mk sockets. Our ears are actually pretty useless at discerning small differences,.
  • It's pretty simple to test whether it actually sounds any different or if you just think it does.

You record and digitise the analogue output of say your dac/cd player, and compare one version with standard mains lead and another version recorded using a 'better' mains lead. Then you simply null the files, (invert one of them and subtract it from the other). What you are left with is the difference in the two tracks and therefore any differences you can hear come from the cables you've swapped.

If you can do this and you do end up with two files that don't null 100% then come back and show us. I've never seen it happen, but who knows, maybe the Musicworks block can perform that trick.

There's no reason not to buy something that you think sounds different/better, but it might be sensible to at least check that you aren't quite literally 'hearing things' before you shell out hundreds on a bit of perspex and some mk sockets. Our ears are actually pretty useless at discerning small differences,.

SQ225917,

Howdy, my first post on this forum.  I just found it in searching for some reviews on some item or another and stumbled onto this thread.  This is an hilarious topic with many different versions of what I see as just 2 viewpoints:

a) They make a difference

b) They do not make a difference.

If you are truly bored one day, and I mean truly bored then there is circa 200 pages worth of reading on DTV forum regarding whether power cables make a difference.  Blind testing was offered to be done by some folks in Perth (Oz) which was done to the satisfaction of the participants.  They found a readily identifiable difference.  However, the testing methodology was then pooh poohed by the ones that claim that the cables cannot make a difference.  I am of a similar view to a number of folks here who seem to work on the basis that 'if I can hear a repeatable difference then that is good enough for me'.

My background is electronics engineering and I do quite a bit in cable development these days - Digital, Analog, and have been playing with power cables both DC and AC.

The standard argument pulled out is that if the power supply is properly designed then a power cable cannot make any difference.  'Properly designed' is a really interesting and really subjective term.  Properly designed to measure the best or properly designed to sound the best???.  I find that these often do not go hand-in-hand.  This comment is based mostly on the basis of power suppies for tube ccts.  A supply with massive filtering and regulation should in theory be best.  I find they tend to sound somewhat clinical, hifi and boring.  Softer supplies (less regulated or totally unregulated) seem to create a better sense of musical engagment.  Does this not then open up such a supply to the vagaries of the mains feeding it and possible influence from power cables?  Which is properly designed?? To me, the better sounding one is although many of my engineering brethren would disagree.

You make comment in an earlier post "but just swapping one length of copper for another with plugs at both ends for another- nope no way, no how."

I would propose that this is an extremely oversimplified comment.  It does not take into account the dielectric materials used (eg teflon vs pe), the geometry (plaited, twisted, parallel) or the form of the copper (solid, stranded, round solid, ribbon solid etc etc) and these factors all from my R&D have sonic influence when applied to power cables, both AC and DC, interconnects, speaker cables etc.

As an example we built several power cables to supply 63mA to a customised clock on a transport.  Said cables were connecting a 400 A/H Lead Acid battery to the clock.  Overkill as a power supply?? As it turns out no.  All cables were 14AWG in cross-sectional area but with varying dielectric material and copper form ie single solid conductor, stranded, flat etc.  Blind testing was performed comparing these cables to ascertain the subjective best.  Differences were clearly audible to both testers who swapped role as being cable swapper and listener and the same end-point was achieved by both.

Same connection at both ends, same cross-section of copper, so we were effectively "just swapping one length of copper for another" and clearly auible BLIND tested result.  Go figure.

And this was just a DC supply to a clock on a transport.  Try changing the AC cable from the power conditioner to the same transport. Also a very interesting experience.

Did just the same little test with a colleague a couple of weeks ago changing the power supply to phono stage from a dedicated 32A wallpoint to the power conditioner.  Wow, what a difference.  Changed the actual power cable, Wow what a difference.  Did the same style of comparison with a friend of a friend 2 weekends ago (He is an Electrician) and he looked at me as if I had grown a second head and stated "that is not possible; that cannot be possible but I can clearly hear it".  Did the power cable change on the phono stage, a NOS DAC, the transport and he could clearly differentiate and articulate the differences he was hearing. Again, go figure.

WRT your suggestion of recording and nulling the two different setups, one of these days I may try this out for fun.  The implicit assumption is that the equipment doing the recording and digitising has at least as good or better resolution than the rest of the rig or it just may not be able to represent the potentially subtle changes that may occur.  I question whether this is the case.  If it were the case then most of the argument re different DACS would become moot.  After all, you are a vinyl man from what I see.  Something gets lost most often in the digitisation process it seems to me.  This be the subtleties of music like engagement, soundstaging, imaging and 'thereness'.

I have to agree with BHOBBA that this topic of conversation never seems to go anywhere positive.  Kinda like tubes vs SS, active vs passive etc

But there ya have my 2 bobs worth anyway.

Cheers all

Rawl

• Rawl, some interesting points. Re measuring best and sounding best. Well given that our ears change from one day to the next what might sound best one day with one tune might not sound the best the next with a different track. Mood plays such a huge part in what we think we hear. Fortunately a decent oscilloscope tends not to suffer such mood swings, hence why I'd trust it more for repeatable accuracy than my own hearing.

I've never made anything that measured better but sounded worse, or flip that I've never heard anything that i liked more that measured worse. No doubt anyone can become accustomed to all sorts of distortion, just look how popular horns and valves are.

Your clock cable experiment sounds interesting, I take it they were soldered rather than plugged connections at each end of the wire. Or were the wires identically terminated with plugs and tested for impedance. If they were just soldered then i'd look no further than that. You don't mention if you checked the cables under test for measured LCR characteristics, values which I'd typically take as being more important than cross sectional area, which in of itself tells you nothing about how the cable might perform as part of the circuit other than the point at which it begins to heat up due to insufficient current carrying capability- not something your 63ma would likely trouble.

I can entirely understand different power supplies for different phonostages making a difference, in fact I have 4 different designs of power supply for my own Naim Superline currently under test. I actually favour the one with the least regulation, but lowest output impedance. It just sounds freer than the other 3 units, better bass with more drive down below.

I've tried swapping cables around to it, from kettle leads to Vishnu, to my own  3 x 12AWG 4n SIlver cables with Silver wattgates and MK Toughplugs- They all make no difference that I can hear, or have ever been able to measure.

I still wait for any cable manufacturer to show a difference in sound from just swapping an unfiltered  power cable.
  • sq225917

Thanks for your interesting response.  To answer a couple of your questions:

Yes the connections were soldered at the clock and clamped at the battery.  If you 'look no further than the solder joint' then I take it you think I am unable to solder very well.  Interesting that back and forth testing showed consistent outcome with 2 independent listeners.  Statistically pretty tricky for me to bugger the solder joint for a particular cable in the same way several times in a row.

Did not measure RLC... didn't care.  I would be most appreciative if you could share yor viewpoint as to what the absolute values of R,L,C and the relative ratios should be for this application of power cable to the clock.  I have no idea so measurements would not have helped me very much.  Maybe useful to correlate the listening results with the measurements but did not do this.  Maybe next time.

I did not in any way change the power supply itself for the phono stage. Only changed the 240 volt power feed from being plugged into a dedicated 32A wall point to being plugged into a power conditioner and then changed just the mains power cable supplying the phonostage whilst leaving it connected to the power conditioner.  Then did the same (swapped power cables) but connected to the 32A wallpt (ie no filtering).  Significant audible difference in each of these iterations.

I am truly surprised that you are unable to hear a change when comparing these very significantly diferent power cables. 

Cheers

Rawl

• Rawl, well, cross sectional area is indicative of nothing in terms of electronics, I know of no engineer who designs RF cable termination based on the CSA, just the impedance at the required frequency. I know quite a few RF and digital engineers having worked for a graphics chip  fab for the best part for a decade.

All of them would look at impedance and RLC when trying to characterise the best termination of  a power line in a circuit, particularly with respect to ringing, but you can't do that without  a decent high bandwidth scope and the device under test sat in front of you. Certainly no one could just 'guess' the best values it would have to be arrived at empirically. All that said, none of the guys I know would expect there to be any difference simply by substituting one short length of wire for another in this application- were it 192khz signal then it would be different. By 3v DC, forget it.

It's funny that you think "I am unable to hear a change" when trying very different cables. I would characterize it as there is no difference to be heard, and most electronics engineers and science text books would agree with me.  I always love it when there are differences to be heard, but usually experience has shown there is often a simple explanation at hand rather than magic.
  • hi guys, interesting discussion,
    thought i would throw in my 2p's worth,
    i have read much debate on the subject of cables ,supports ,etc, now i use some very budget gear at the moment but have owned and enjoyed some rather nice gear too, i try to keep an open mind , but,, every system i have used in the past 15 or so years has benefited from having some care taken over the choice of power cable , speaker cable and interconnects and also what was supporting the equipment, i am as i have always been a little sceptical over such things and at several points in those past years(too many!) friends have also enjoyed my system and have asked , "does all that nonsense actually make a difference?" rather than try to convince them i simply fitted all the supplied cables that came with the equipment and stacked it all on the concrete floor of my listening room and played the same music again, 100% of the times i have done this they have been dumb founded, all those friends of mine now have carefully selected cables and have experimented with supports etc, each of those cables or supports bring a little bit of improvement that on their own seem to offer very little , but all of them together bring a rather substantial improvement, when they are all removed in one go the system sounds broken by comparison,
    all the measurement is very important of course but all those people in the past that did the all the testing and measuring to bring us what we have now didnt just accept the measurements as they knew there was more going on and kept pushing the boundaries of what was currently known ,
    lets not forget that most advances in audio reproduction happened first from being inquisitive then we learned to measure the improvements,
    so, keep trying and investigating , you never know ,you just might discover the next real advance in audio!!
    all the best,
    matt
  • Just remember, never been identified in a double blind test, and no one has taken Randi's money yet...

Sound is never what you think it is.    ;-)
  • edited June 2011
    Just remember, never been identified in a double blind test, and no one has taken Randi's money yet...

Sound is never what you think it is.    ;-)

A blind test has been conducted at my house and the person tested could hear a difference in power cables 

On the other side of the country (australia) another blind test has been done and other people could also hear a difference in power cables

below a link to the thread 

http://www.dtvforum.info/index.php?showtopic=92538

Just because some people can't hear a difference doesn't mean others can't.

some peoples hearing is not as acute as others all this talk about engineers with degrees yet sound engineers still produce bad recording maybe they should measure less and listen more us music lovers do.

I really dislike the blind leading others into total darkness in this crazy hobby.

Enjoy your journey 

• edited June 2011

Mod' comment:

There are obviously some strongly held opinions contributing to good healthy discussion in this thread. Thanks to all contributors. I'm following the thread with interest.

But the underlines and bold are unnecessary and may inflame feelings. Let's keep the emotional aspects of the debate damped down as far as possible. :-)

Cheers.

• I'll be completely unemotional about this Ben :)

DC cables making a difference. No.
    They could conceivably do so were the conductors hair thin and therefore had a resistance of more than several ohms. None are.

• edited June 2011
    But, to my absolute surprise, they do in my system, Rob. So I can't believe what you're telling me ;-)

And that's the problem. And why we go round and round in circles on forums. There are those who believe we know all there is to know about how our hi-fi systems work. And there are those who are open to the possibility that we don't.
  • As the instigator of this thread I feel obliged to contribute merely to say that the old subjectivist v's objectivist debate still prevails.

Therotically perhaps DC cables should not make a diffference but to some ears in the real world it does.

C'est la hif-fi !!!

• edited June 2011
    But, to my absolute surprise, they do in my system, Rob. So I can't believe what you're telling me ;-)

And that's the problem. And why we go round and round in circles on forums. There are those who believe we know all there is to know about how our hi-fi systems work. And there are those who are open to the possibility that we don't.
    It shouldn't be a surprise though Dave.

I will demonstrate to anyone interested that in a blind test, DC cables make no difference.
    I've a large choice of kit here so something for everyone. Anyone interested, my door is as always open.
    I can't offer a million $ challenge but I can offer, tea, coffee, beer and cake :)

We don't know everything there is know about our systems, but we do know everything about certain basic elements within them.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those who rely on sighted, uncontrolled listening tests to form their opinions.
    Given that the effects of sighted bias can and have been proven in other fields, what makes you so confident that:

A - they don't apply to audio.

B - You have the unique capability to be immune form any sighted bias effects.

I realise this forum takes a pro subjectivist stance so if I'm overstepping the mark I'll respect that and withdraw from this particular discussion. I raise this purely because hearing things that decades of science says shouldn't exist does at least raise the question of 'how' we are hearing them.

• edited June 2011
    Rob,
    Please stay IN the discussion. I'd be fascinated to take you up on such an offer. I'm genuinely curious.
    I've never been clever enough to understand the physics behind electronics. Obviously that doesn't get in the way of my enjoying recorded music via the subjectivist route, but i've always been curious to try to learn or understand. :-)
    Where are you?
  • edited June 2011
    Also, I don't doubt that sighted bias accounts for some otherwise inexplicable perceived differences between components (DC cables and otherwise) that measure identically using today's measuring equipment.
    But what do you believe is the percentage of that figure? 100%? 50%? 1%?
    Is the objectivist v subjectivist Hifi civil war an all or nothing conflict, or is an uneasy truce possible?
  • No need for truce where there isn't any war...

Conflict of opinion, even experience, is a good thing! I would no more expect Rob to be convinced by my eulogising over a DC cable than I am over statements of fact that however correct, seem to miss something.

Stick around Rob please, and help educate this pleb (-me, that is!). I won't promise conversion, any more than you'd expect it, but I am agreeable to having my horizons broadened.
  • But, to my absolute surprise, they do in my system, Rob. So I can't believe what you're telling me ;-)

I will demonstrate to anyone interested that in a blind test, DC cables make no difference.
    I've a large choice of kit here so something for everyone. Anyone interested, my door is as always open.
    I can't offer a million $ challenge but I can offer, tea, coffee, beer and cake :)

We don't know everything there is know about our systems, but we do know everything about certain basic elements within them.

I'd like to ask a couple of questions to those who rely on sighted, uncontrolled listening tests to form their opinions.
    Given that the effects of sighted bias can and have been proven in other fields, what makes you so confident that:

I realise this forum takes a pro subjectivist stance so if I'm overstepping the mark I'll respect that and withdraw from this particular discussion. I raise this purely because hearing things that decades of science says shouldn't exist does at least raise the question of 'how' we are hearing them.

Of course you don't have to withdraw from this discussion. That would be misunderstanding Audio Chews.

I think I'm right in saying this forum's stance is non-prescriptivist, which is not anti-objectivist or pro-subjectivist.
  • But, to my absolute surprise, they do in my system, Rob. So I can't believe what you're telling me ;-)

Please share your system components from source to speakers and anything in between.
  • edited June 2011
    I used to be a cable believer, quite  a resolute one, hence me having a solid silver cable loom from wall socket to speakers for all my components.

Then one day i had a friend round and we swapped between a handful of cables, maybe swapped them over half a dozen times. He didn't say anything, just swapped them and noted down the combo's on a piece of paper and I did the same writing down which I thought was which. The result, there was absolutely no correlation between the two at all. The power cables in question were a 15 amp MK mains lead, A Nordost Vishnu and my own 12AWG solid silver braided with silver fuse, MK plug and silver Wattagte.

Since then I've spent a lot of time building things, making power supplies in particular, some very very decent power supplies- none of them have ever measured differently when i've used different mains leads on them, they always measure the same.

So until I hear a difference that i can not explain, and one that can I pick out without the benefit of sighted bias then I fall into the power cables don't make a difference camp. I'm sure that there are some instances out there of badly designed kit where just plugging the power cable back in makes a difference- because the kit is effectively broken with arcing sockets or whatever, but for the most part hifi isn't like this.

Re the comments regarding hearing and component quality being the limiting factor. Well everyone likes to think they have magic ears, but by and large they don't- and we all want better hifi.
  • Funny that if a power cable makes a difference in sound it means badly designed kit seems to come from the measuring brigade 99.99% of the time on the audio forums world wide.

anyway people have fun with audio and enjoy your journey 

g'day from australia

• Rob,
    Please stay IN the discussion. I'd be fascinated to take you up on such an offer. I'm genuinely curious.
    I've never been clever enough to understand the physics behind electronics. Obviously that doesn't get in the way of my enjoying recorded music via the subjectivist route, but i've always been curious to try to learn or understand. :-)
    Where are you?
    Hi Ben, Dave and others commenting.

My comments were made out of respect for the forum. I believe firmly that if a forum has a clear leaning then that should be respected. This forum has a very welcome lack of conflict and aggression and that's the main reason I read and post here, even though the views are often at odds with my own.

Anyway I'm in Walthamstow, East London if anyone fancies a visit.

• edited June 2011
    Also, I don't doubt that sighted bias accounts for some otherwise inexplicable perceived differences between components (DC cables and otherwise) that measure identically using today's measuring equipment.
    But what do you believe is the percentage of that figure? 100%? 50%? 1%?
    Is the objectivist v subjectivist Hifi civil war an all or nothing conflict, or is an uneasy truce possible?
    Ben, I think the whole objectivist/subjectivist debate in audio is a mess and it often gets misrepresented on both sides.

I draw a very strong line between how I apply both types of assessment.

For me, objective methods are best for identifying and quantifying differences.
    That means creating an environment where only the ears are being used to gather information.
    Primarily that means ensuring precise level matching and unsighted testing.
    So essentially we are talking about removing bias and creating a fairer test, not a perfect one but one that is likely to give more real and meaningful results than leaving all of those biases unchecked.

What you think of any differences identified by the objective method is of course entirely subjective!
    So if a blind test reveals two amplifiers to sound different, the relevance and most importantly the listener preferences are, and must always remain, one of personal choice, ie they are subjective.

To give you an example of both methods working in tandem, I happen to like the sound of the larger BBC monitor speakers such as the Spendor BC1 and Rogers LS3/6. No one can deny that part of the sonic signature for these speakers is derived from frequency response shaping - they aren't flat and quite deliberately so. Liking the sound reveals my own subjective leaning, understanding why those loudspeakers sound that way demands objective methodology - it boils down to the science.

Now there are a small number out on the extreme who believe that all character should be eliminated from audio systems, ruler flat responses and 0.00001% distortion rules etc,etc. That isn't my view nor that of many objectivists IME. I don't mind character and deviations from absolute fidelity, but I like and need to know the cause.

Sorry for the long post but I hope that goes at least some way to showing not all of those labelled 'objectivists' walk around carrying a scope :)

• I dislike 'Objectivists' and 'Subjectivists' - both as labels and for the point of view they represent. They both describe a state of being closed minded to the other position, and it is easy to spot when this is the case.