M2 TECH HIGHFACE / PLEX ON MAC MINI

edited April 2011 in Digital

Hi guys. I have just set up my new Mac mini (latest model). I am using as my music source aswell as for movies ,tv. I have set up pure music with itunes and I am using a Hiface to Rega Dac. With music this works a treat but when using plex and any other stream such as youtube the audio is out of sync with the picture. This does not happen when using usb. Is there away round this? I have downloaded the hiface drivers.

Also If there are anyone out there using plex please help! I thought the idea was if you put movies and music into your home folder in the mac that plex would scan and add to movies/music/pictures ect. At the moment I must be doing something wrong as this is not happening? I have added my external Harddrive as a source and I can veiw this way although I do not get the dvd cover or information? Am I missing something?

I have been very frustrated as most of the apps like HULU I have downloaded on plex do not play in this region! (UK). Help!

Any response much appreciated.

Comments

• edited April 2011
    Funny you should say that Danny.

I have the same problem with Plex or BBC iPlayer or iTunes playing back video on my 2008 MacBook. I think this is because its optical connection doesn't send audio along the HDMI cable to the TV, so I have audio going over USB to the DAC and video going via HDMI to the TV, and the two don't sync.

I haven't yet found a solution to my problem, short of buying an Apple TV or something similar with HDMI, but I think I know how to sort yours out, as long as your TV has a digital audio out and your DAC has a suitable input.

You see, I take HDMI out of our VirginMedia HD cable box into our TV and then run an optical (TOSLINK) cable from the TV to the DAC. This gives no lip sync problems. So I suggest you try something similar with your Mac mini, taking HDMI out of the mini for video and audio, and then taking the audio from the TV into the Rega.

HTH
  • Thanks for the advise Dave I will give this a try tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Cheers

• Good luck!
  • Any luck Danny?
  • Hi Alan.

Sorry for the slow reply! No luck although I have sorted the problem in the settings in plex for movies. The problem still persists for streaming videos.

I now have the young dac so will be moving the hiface on.

Cheers

Danny

• Hi Danny,

I suspect you have made David's day...
    /:-)
  • The travelling HiFace...
  • Haha

Yes the Young is something else.

At the moment i'm using a shaving adaptor. Is an external psu a must? Would it be worth while changing to a 13a travel adaptor as the shaving adaptor 1a.

Thanks

• It's not a must, but it's very good.
  • ok thanks.

What music software are you using? I have the free trial of pure music at the moment.

• edited April 2011

Haha

Yes the Young is something else.

At the moment i'm using a shaving adaptor. Is an external psu a must? Would it be worth while changing to a 13a travel adaptor as the shaving adaptor 1a.

Thanks

I had trouble with a shaving adapter, and needed to get a proper UK to EU adapter from Currys. That made quite a bit of difference for me. YMMV, according to how snug a fit the two-pin plug is in your shaving adaoter.

But the proper PSU is the way to go.
  • Decibel costs about £30, and sounds as fine as any more expensive player. Just google decibel for mac.
  • Yeah external psu is next on my list. Is the padro evo the one for the young also? Do I need to purchase cable to connect to the young?

Thanks Alan I will download Decibel now.