Horn speaker book

Evening.

Whilst looking into horn speakers I came across a book on the subject and bought it. Weeks passed with it sat on a shelf as I attended to other stuff. I’ve just delved in to the first couple of chapters. All I can say is wow. If you really want to understand horns you absolutely have to get this book. It’s not cheap but when you look at the price of a speaker build its not much, even less when you consider the accumulated knowledge that has gone into it. Just thought I’d say here as I told my wife and she glazed over, poor thing:

https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/high-quality-horn-loudspeaker-systems-by-bjørn-kolbrek-and-thomas-dunker-p-3317.html?zenid=7nc59sqf6t3h0aokbc11mrl8h5



Comments

  • edited April 20
    She must be related to my wife!
    £122! Possibly not something to be bought on a whim, but I take your point. Maybe it's something I need to bite the bullet on.
  • phorize said:
    Evening.

    Whilst looking into horn speakers I came across a book on the subject and bought it. Weeks passed with it sat on a shelf as I attended to other stuff. I’ve just delved in to the first couple of chapters. All I can say is wow. If you really want to understand horns you absolutely have to get this book. It’s not cheap but when you look at the price of a speaker build its not much, even less when you consider the accumulated knowledge that has gone into it. Just thought I’d say here as I told my wife and she glazed over, poor thing:

    https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/high-quality-horn-loudspeaker-systems-by-bjørn-kolbrek-and-thomas-dunker-p-3317.html?zenid=7nc59sqf6t3h0aokbc11mrl8h5



    Intriguing.
    Do you plan to build?
  • uglymusic said:
    She must be related to my wife!
    £122! Possibly not something to be bought on a whim, but I take your point. Maybe it's something I need to bite the bullet on.
    If you are very interested in horn history, theory and design that I think you can’t go wrong. Just want to point out I’m not related to the authors or anyone else connected to the book-not knowingly anyway!
  • Docfoster said:
    phorize said:
    Evening.

    Whilst looking into horn speakers I came across a book on the subject and bought it. Weeks passed with it sat on a shelf as I attended to other stuff. I’ve just delved in to the first couple of chapters. All I can say is wow. If you really want to understand horns you absolutely have to get this book. It’s not cheap but when you look at the price of a speaker build its not much, even less when you consider the accumulated knowledge that has gone into it. Just thought I’d say here as I told my wife and she glazed over, poor thing:

    https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/high-quality-horn-loudspeaker-systems-by-bjørn-kolbrek-and-thomas-dunker-p-3317.html?zenid=7nc59sqf6t3h0aokbc11mrl8h5



    Intriguing.
    Do you plan to build?
    That’s the idea. I’m about to do a build of a 20w seca kit from Col, so need a more efficient speaker. That led me to start looking at horns. My room is only 17.5 sq metres do a large horn is right out. Otherwise I would have done a pi7 from pispeakers. The current plan is to learn abide more and do a build for something that goes down to about 50hz-sort of a horn equivalent to the harbeth m30.2 which would have been my next speaker had I not taken on a seca build. 
  • I haven’t ruled out doing a frugel horn with mark audio alpair 7 driver, or maybe a pi4 which is a bass reflex design with a horn tweeter in the interim. But...what I really have in mind is an end game horn for my current room. That means I need to educate myself, and save up my pennies for a while. Especially as I have just cleaned myself out finishing my end game turntable,
    at least I hope it was the end game one!
  • edited April 21
    phorize said:
    Docfoster said:
    phorize said:
    Evening.

    Whilst looking into horn speakers I came across a book on the subject and bought it. Weeks passed with it sat on a shelf as I attended to other stuff. I’ve just delved in to the first couple of chapters. All I can say is wow. If you really want to understand horns you absolutely have to get this book. It’s not cheap but when you look at the price of a speaker build its not much, even less when you consider the accumulated knowledge that has gone into it. Just thought I’d say here as I told my wife and she glazed over, poor thing:

    https://www.lean-business.co.uk/eshop/high-quality-horn-loudspeaker-systems-by-bjørn-kolbrek-and-thomas-dunker-p-3317.html?zenid=7nc59sqf6t3h0aokbc11mrl8h5



    Intriguing.
    Do you plan to build?
    That’s the idea. I’m about to do a build of a 20w seca kit from Col, so need a more efficient speaker. That led me to start looking at horns. My room is only 17.5 sq metres do a large horn is right out. Otherwise I would have done a pi7 from pispeakers. The current plan is to learn abide more and do a build for something that goes down to about 50hz-sort of a horn equivalent to the harbeth m30.2 which would have been my next speaker had I not taken on a seca build. 

    Build the SECA and try it with your current speakers. My 30W SECAs drive some fairly inefficient Royds pretty loud in a 27ft x 15ft (roughly) room.
    SECA watts aren't like normal watts.
  • If the goal of greater sensitivity is helping to give you the impetus for something so creative, then use it. :-)
    I look forward to seeing how things progress.
    Also though, I'd say that I have one Colin's 20 watt SECAs and the various conventional (if large) speakers I use are more than adequate. But please don't let that stem your creative juices.
  • Docfoster said:
    If the goal of greater sensitivity is helping to give you the impetus for something so creative, then use it. :-)
    I look forward to seeing how things progress.
    Also though, I'd say that I have one Colin's 20 watt SECAs and the various conventional (if large) speakers I use are more than adequate. But please don't let that stem your creative juices.
    I’m just looking for a problem really, the ewa claymore is a perfect pairing with the p3esrs. Just lacks a bit more bass. Latest thinking is to do a horn monitor, details to be worked out. It would easiest to do the pi4 but I’m first going to do some research and set some parameters to aim for themed around a ‘an endgame horn for a tiny room’. 
  • You’ve got a goal and are researching the best way to achieve it.
    Brilliant. :-)
    I’ve found speakers building and tweaking incredibly satisfying.
Sign In or Register to comment.