Music collections

edited May 2011 in Music
I've been sticking my CDs on to the TFS over the past few weeks.
I used to fear that my music collection was largely rubbish, and that I probably listened to only 5% of my CDs for 90% of my listening time. But, being pressed into going through the collection systemically to decide which CDs deserve ripping, I reckon the ratio is more like 40:90.
I could break that 40:90 down further to a hard core a favourites, but overall 40:90 is about right for total listening time.
I'm wondering what others estimate for their own listening time?

Comments

• I don't really know, Ben.

I tend to listen to different subsections of my collections at different times. Like I'm listening to lots of Abdullah Ibrahim at the moment. Then I may not play him again for months.

I ripped my whole collection because I don't know when I'll want to hear something. I've also kept my collection largely pruned of undesirables over the years.
  • May be I should sell on my undesireables...
  • It's a good idea.

FWIW, I err on the side of keeping stuff, certainly the stuff that I think I may grow into. But if it's self evidently rubbish, I sell it on or swap it.

Mind you, with Spotti, I haven't bought anything for a while that's a seller.
  • I have sold the occasional CD, but only when it's been really disturbing. I should really purge those shelves...